Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennington Suffers Injury via Official EFC

55240c76f4c14b708b7a3f7e7644be77.jpg
Matthew Pennington will be assessed on Everton's return to England after suffering a hamstring injury against Real Betis on Saturday. The defender, 21, limped off in the 78th minute of the Dresden Cup…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Chelsea chasing Everton’s Lukaku, have £57 million bid rejected via Royal Blue Mersey

487868506.0.jpg

But the London club remains confident of signing the Belgian.

Everton have rejected a bid of £57 million for striker Romelu Lukaku from his former club, Chelsea, according to The Mirror. However, the London team is confident they can get a deal done this summer to bring in the big Belgian.

This is the latest in the line of Lukaku stories this summer. A few months ago, he was as good as out the door. Then, he had a change of heart, seeming to believe in the new regime of Farhad Moshiri and Ronald Koeman. Just to be safe, Everton placed a £65 million price tag on his head. And now, it is sounding as though he wants to go again.

Lukaku came to Everton from Chelsea as a loanee during the club’s outstanding 2013-14 season. It was Roberto Martinez’s first year in control and Lukaku excelled, scoring 16 times in 33 appearances. That following summer, the Toffees bought him outright for a club record fee of £28 million.

Since then, Lukaku has spent two more seasons with Everton, finding the net 45 times in 94 games across all competitions. But the team has struggled, finishing 11th in the league the last two years and crashing out of the Europa League during the 2014-15 campaign. The striker has stated before that he wants to play winning football, and Everton have not delivered that recently.

The loss of Lukaku would be immense. Everton is thin up top as it is. Arouna Kone and Oumar Niasse don’t seem to be in Koeman’s plans at all. Gerard Deulofeu has been used as the main striker during the preseason, but he is streaky, has traditionally played as a winger, and would be a risky bet to be the primary scoring threat.

Beyond that, the Toffees have hardly been linked to any major attacking options. The potential sales of Lukaku and John Stones would give them quite a kitty, but there are only two weeks until the first match of the season. They will need to do quick business if the players are expected to gel.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Dreary time in Dresden via Everton Arent We

Koeman.jpg

It’s not taken long for the dark clouds to roll in on social media. Our ever-reliable doom and gloom fans have already started with the negative posts about the team and manager. We’ve known for some time now that our squad is outdated and we have a lot of dead wood. Koeman’s appointment was never going to be enough on its own to turn our side around and make us a solid team overnight. Admittedly, our performance in the Dresden Cup was not as good as we had hoped, especially on the back of our earlier friendlies. However, there are still positives we can draw on from our performances. We’re pressing higher up the pitch and we look to get forward much more quickly than we did under RM. “High pressing doesn’t warrant 6 million a year for RK” I hear. You’re right, 6 million a year is a lot, especially when you look at what other managers are paid but why does that concern any of our fans? It’s Moshiri’s money and it’ll be spent how he likes. If he felt that RK was worth 6 million a year then so be it.

Our front 3/4 look strong and look like they’ll cause problems for defences in the upcoming season. Geri has been a stand out performer I’m sure we can all agree. His finishing needs work but so does Rom’s. It’s Geri’s pace and his eagerness to beat the defender that gives him a real edge. I think Geri will still primarily be a winger for us this season but he will be utilised as a striker when needed because I genuinely can’t see us signing a highly-rated striker if Rom stays. Niasse looks like he’s almost certainly off but I have a sneaking suspicion that Kone might still be knocking about.

Deulofeu.jpg

Another positive I’d take from the preseason is that RK is clearly not happy with what he’s got. Doesn’t sound right reading that, does it? But even after our wins he was quick to point out during post match interviews that we need to do much better. We all know Martinez would have just raved on about our character during the match and not dwelled on the dismal defensive display. The biggest issue with this Everton team is that we cannot defend at all. We have a defence that reeks of ball-playing centre-halves and overly pressing full-backs mixed with mindless ball chasing. I am 100% confident that Koeman will be addressing this with our signings. If Idrissa Gana Gueye signs, as the papers suggest, then that is already a pretty decent step in the right direction as we have all seen the stats. Similarly, RK seems to be looking at your big physical type of defender which is a breath of fresh air for me. No nonsense, big tackles and stick it in Row Z if need be.

I don’t want to get into a debate about who we will sign and what we need because I’m sick of reading about signings, let alone submitting an article discussing them. What will be, will be. I genuinely think Koeman will have used the Dresden Cup to assess exactly what we need and what he wants. I am 100% confident there will be a lot of incomings before the season starts and certainly before the end of August, otherwise, why would RK have left Southampton instead of waiting a year before having the pick of the big clubs? Let’s all calm down, and get behind the team.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton assistant Erwin Koeman insists John Stones will not be distracted by Manchester City interest via Daily Mail

Erwin Koeman is adamant the mindset of John Stones will not be affected should his move to Manchester City collapse. The defender has been subject of a rejected £40million bid.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Chelsea confident of Romelu Lukaku return as Antonio Conte steps up £60m hunt for Everton striker via Daily Mail

MATT BARLOW: Romelu Lukaku, who appeared in Everton's pre-season friendly against Real Betis on Saturday, is keen to return to the club he left two years ago when he moved to Merseyside.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

New York City 5-1 Colorado Rapids: Frank Lampard hits NYCFC’s first-ever hat-trick past Tim Howard in big win via Daily Mail

Frank Lampard scored a hat-trick as New York City strengthened their position at the top of Major League Soccer's Eastern Conference with a 5-1 thrashing of 10-man Colorado Rapids.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

No Everton bid for Ashley Williams via NSNO

Reports in Wales are rubbishing claims from the national media this morning that Everton are on the verge of signing Wales captain Ashley Williams.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back