Transfer Rumour Everton poised to make £25m bid for Celtic full-back Kieran Tierney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll answer your question, and hope others don't take offence, and say it's turning into a Celtic forum.

My view is that Rangers went out of business in 2012. A company Sevco Scotland bought the assets of the former company, out of liquidation, and formed a new club, The Rangers. Technically, the current Rangers are a new club, but I'm a bit old fashioned, and think 90 odd percent of a club is where they play, who goes to see them, and what colours they wear.

As the current Rangers play at Ibrox, Rangers fans go to support them, and they wear Rangers colours, they're effectively Rangers, in my opinion. A little something did die when Rangers went out of business, but Rangers are still our biggest rivals, and while there has been outrageous cheating by our football authorities to change the rules about clubs starting up again, just because it's Rangers who went bust, I still class them as Rangers.

I bet your friends get a lot more excited about games against Rangers than they do when Celtic play Patrick Thistle.
For sure they still see Rangers games as the old firm derby and the biggest games of the season, but they will also say that Rangers don’t exist. It just seems strange to me that they want it both ways. (My dad was a jags fan, so I like promoting them as Glasgow’s second team)
And to avoid this becoming a Celtic forum, all you have to do is finish a post with ”anyway, back on topic, are we signing Tierney” ;)

Be disappointed if we don't get this kid but we need to play hardball and show 'selling' clubs we are no longer going to be soft touches like we have shown the past couple of seasons when it comes to buying players. I accept that for £25m - peanuts in today's multi-million £pound industry - and if he does go elsewhere and becomes a 'player' within the context of the Premier League then we may be kicking ourselves at missed opportunities but there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point. However, if we say he's worth no more than, say, £15m and Sellick want £25m then there has to be a deal somewhere in the making...just don't get embroiled in another Siggy affair when we concentrated all our efforts on the one player and probably lost out on equally good and cheaper alternatives.

Btw I still believe Iceland will prove a good buy if allowed to play in a team with a more expansive, dynamic and forward thinking line up - just that last season the then management team didn't really have a clue as to how best to fit players in or what style to adopt and it all went on around him. Give him the ball and a more fluid front line to sit in behind and I am sure he will begin proving his worth.

I'll answer your question, and hope others don't take offence, and say it's turning into a Celtic forum.

My view is that Rangers went out of business in 2012. A company Sevco Scotland bought the assets of the former company, out of liquidation, and formed a new club, The Rangers. Technically, the current Rangers are a new club, but I'm a bit old fashioned, and think 90 odd percent of a club is where they play, who goes to see them, and what colours they wear.

As the current Rangers play at Ibrox, Rangers fans go to support them, and they wear Rangers colours, they're effectively Rangers, in my opinion. A little something did die when Rangers went out of business, but Rangers are still our biggest rivals, and while there has been outrageous cheating by our football authorities to change the rules about clubs starting up again, just because it's Rangers who went bust, I still class them as Rangers.

I bet your friends get a lot more excited about games against Rangers than they do when Celtic play Patrick Thistle.

Don't disagree with any of that.

Just utterly baffled that someone asked if Partick was a bagger game than the old firm. Bit like suggesting Real v Levante or something is the real big one, not the classico.

For sure they still see Rangers games as the old firm derby and the biggest games of the season, but they will also say that Rangers don’t exist. It just seems strange to me that they want it both ways. (My dad was a jags fan, so I like promoting them as Glasgow’s second team)
And to avoid this becoming a Celtic forum, all you have to do is finish a post with ”anyway, back on topic, are we signing Tierney” ;)

I hope he stays, but I reckon Celtic want money.

According to a poster on one of the Celtic forums Dembele is going to sign a new contract at Celtic. He would be the other player we could get a decent amount of money for, so if he does sign, and it's just a post on a Celtic forum, then it looks even more likely Tierney might leave.

I'm guessing our board can't run the club on the hope they might get to the Champions League group stage, look where that tactic got Leeds United, so have decided to cash in on KT. Maybe if Celtic do reach the CL, the board might decide to keep him for another year? I believe Tierney has signed up to new agent, so they may push for a move as well. Tierney is a real Celtic fan, but if your on £20,000, or so, a week, and you get offered £80,000 a week, you have a big decision to make, and not many players would stay at the club they love if they're offered four times their salary.

Don't disagree with any of that.

Just utterly baffled that someone asked if Partick was a bagger game than the old firm. Bit like suggesting Real v Levante or something is the real big one, not the classico.

Celtic supporters will say things like Partick are our oldest rivals to noise up the Rangers support, or newnoses as we've been calling them since 2012, but deep down there's only one REAL rivalry. It's not really a healthy rivalry up here. It's not just about football, and has a lot to do with anti-Irish, and anti-Catholic, bigotry. I would much prefer it if it was just about football but it will be a long time, if ever, before that happens in Scotland.

From Lukaku last summer:

"I dont know what the boards plan is, but there were some players I knew the club could have got and they didnt, and they're playing in this league. I am not saying names, but they are doing well"

We are being duped lads. Guarantee the next season we spend big again is when Pickford goes, as with Stones and Lukaku before him.
:coffee:

Where have I read stuff like this before?

I understand that. It goes in stages, first a lower EPL club, and if the player is a success there, one of the big boys might come in for him.

Do you mean Gary Naysmith, or Steven Naismith? Gary Naysmith definitely wasn't a top player up here. McFadden was one if those individualist type players who could cause teams trouble, but I didn't think was good enough for Celtic. I didn't see Barry Ferguson when he played for Blackburn. I know he got a really bad injury, maybe a broken kneecap? I tend not to praise anything about Rangers, but he was an excellent footballer for Rangers 1872-2012. Maybe it was the injury, or he signed for the wrong club, but he was a better player than the other two you mentioned.
Haha apologies, it was very early and I definately meant Steven Naismith. I wish every player we have no had his attitude but he was garbage.

We'll reach 250 pages before Everton goes from "pondering" a bid to "mulling over" one.

lol

Mulling? that's not a word you see very often, Sam.

Despite the fact that supporters of clubs are usually moaning about something, in my opinion the Celtic board are pretty responsible when it comes to running the club. Our old board however were unbelievable skinflints, probably because every pound they spent was one less they could trouser tor themselves. I remember Celtic were outbid by St Mirren for a striker Frank McDougal. Let that sink in for a moment. St Mirren outbid Celtic! McDougal eventually went to Aberdeen were he was a tremendous striker, though he was plagued by injuries.

You can only hope your board are prepared to pay what they believe is fair, but won't overspend on players.

Haha apologies, it was very early and I definately meant Steven Naismith. I wish every player we have no had his attitude but he was garbage.

I didn't see him for Everton, but up here he was a decent player. He wasn't a class player, but his work rate was good, and he did score goals.

Celtic supporters will say things like Partick are our oldest rivals to noise up the Rangers support, or newnoses as we've been calling them since 2012, but deep down there's only one REAL rivalry. It's not really a healthy rivalry up here. It's not just about football, and has a lot to do with anti-Irish, and anti-Catholic, bigotry. I would much prefer it if it was just about football but it will be a long time, if ever, before that happens in Scotland.

Oh I'm well aware of it all. I'm in Belfast myself like....

Just found it a bit ridiculous with the guy asking about Partick lol

I haven't seen much of Baines, but I'm guessing a couple of years ago you would have compared Virgil van Dijk unfavourably to some Everton centre backs of the past.

Baines was one of the best full backs in Europe for 2/3 years. Tierney isn’t at that level, and nobody knows if he ever will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back