Confirmed Signing Everton Sign Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, possibly not haha (I was too young to remember when Fat Ronny burst onto the scene, and unlike Best (one of my Dad's favourites) I haven't seen to many clips etc.

Best British player, then. Including Gazza.

But he's definitely up there. He was definitely the most exciting player at the 2004 Euros as well.

Best British player was Georgie Best, in fact, after watching Pele, Eusebio, Bene et al, in the 66 World Cup, I would go as far as to say Best was the finest player I ever saw. After Best the best British player, by a country mile, was one Alan James Bal, Gazza was not in the same league as those two, good as he was.

Best British player was Georgie Best, in fact, after watching Pele, Eusebio, Bene et al, in the 66 World Cup, I would go as far as to say Best was the finest player I ever saw. After Best the best British player, by a country mile, was one Alan James Bal, Gazza was not in the same league as those two, good as he was.

As in, the best at such a young age.

I never saw Ball, clearly. Never Best, either - but both are players that my Dad idolised (the former being the reason he (and therefore me) is an Evertonian)

Reactions: rbm

To be fair I think he was better than Ronaldo or Messi at that age. Don't know why they moved on and he seemed to plateau. I do think there is something to be said about the day in day out rigors of the premiership. Rooney I felt expressed himself less than he should be at Utd whereas the other 2 had free reign. Whatever it was he didn't become the player he could have been.. which was the best player on the planet.. so the bench was set pretty high.

I saw a great quote from Rio Ferdinand where he compared the two. He said Rooney sacrificed individual glory and scoring 40+ goals for the team. I think Ronaldo recognised that too.

Rooney has achieved a lot, perhaps England and Uniteds greatest but we all know there shouldn't be a debate on either had he fulfilled his full potential.

That was Peter Johnson not Kenwright, and Philip Carter was chairman of Everton when he left, Kenwright had bought Johnson out by the time Wayne went but because of the mess the club was already in keeping him wasnt really an option, such a shame

I thought Johnson had scarpered a couple of years before, but I gladly stand corrected. Still, Kenwright was still on the board at that point, so the apple didn't fall too far from the tree on that score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back