Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

What would you describe as a long term midfield group?

Your basing that on Iroegbunam being any good, Garner becoming more consistent and us actually buying some guy who has never set foot on a pitch in England?

What's the long term plan with that? Sell them if they are any good and let someone else take advantage of us having a weaker midfield for 12 months?

Im purely basing it on the 2 players of 20 & 23 years of age & the 20 year old being discussed (Diarra). If those 3 arent long term footballers i dont know what is.

They dont need to be exquisite, Dyche just wants energy & tackles in the centre.

As @bluestevon said, add Bove to that Group (and Gana) and its long term quartet.

I think instead of going for a player similar to onana aa a replacement we should try to acquire a defensive midfielder that is more suitable to a anchor role and can potentially serve as a deep lying playmaker instead of a ball chasing midfielder

Isn’t that what Onana was though. He does play the anchor role and take the ball of the defence and look to get the team moving forward. Gana is the one that goes looking to win the ball. You are still right though, we need someone to play the anchor role and have the ability to get the ball moving.

I saw onana play the anchor role more on the Belgian team , dyche had him as more roving alongside Gana who like you said excelled at the role but there was a time last season dyche had Gana operate as the anchor and being on the ball is not one of his strengths, so hopefully he doesn't try that experiment again and brings someone else in

Yeah Onana definitely it’s more suited to role he plays for Belgium. Think we thought we were getting a box to box players when he signed due to his physical attributes. Definitely need gana further up and a sitter infront of that back four.

Onana played maybe 3 games at anchor. Dyche also used him where Gana should be and vice versa.

We dont actually use an anchor as Gana would start there and end up charging after the ball.

What we could do with is a player who can tackle, press and has alot of energy

If Myko gets injured this season we cannot rely on a 40 year old as cover. He's more likely than not to be injured too.

My concern is even if Young is enough it would our left side glaringly weak to opposition teams. Imo the kind of player we want to pick up is a young LB 19-22yr/o who can develop to be effective competition to Myko, we have no one ATM
In an ideal world yes but we can cope without and still get 15th or higher is my point

If Myko gets injured this season we cannot rely on a 40 year old as cover. He's more likely than not to be injured too.

My concern is even if Young is enough it would our left side glaringly weak to opposition teams. Imo the kind of player we want to pick up is a young LB 19-22yr/o who can develop to be effective competition to Myko, we have no one ATM
There were reports that we were in talks with 31 year old ricardo rodriguez from torino on a free , who can play left as a fb, cb and mf

There were reports that we were in talks with 31 year old ricardo rodriguez from torino on a free , who can play left as a fb, cb and mf
It's a signing that makes an awful lot of sense. That one signing would provide good cover at left back and potentially means we could shift both Holgate and Keane instead of just one of them.

Even though we miss quite a few players tonight we need desperate a new nr 9, a right back plus more cover at left back and another wide option.
Abraham, Rodriquez and the Sparta Prague right back would be a good start

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back