Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Perhaps, though perhaps not if Young is going to drop stinkers like he is right now at LB
Tonight was shocking no doubt but the players looked shattered, Coventry start their season earlier than us, are a good team and we are missing proper central defenders.

The worry is that our attackers still look clueless at creating chances but I don’t think we concede any of those goals with a full strength team.

Like most things in life, it’s never as bad as you think

Agree, we need to get a few out the door before we can do much. While Thelwell has made some good signings, I feel like we've not addressed the key areas of weakness in the past few seasons. Still no pacey wingers, no reliable striker. Now we have three players that all play their best in the #10 role in Doucoure, Ndiaye, and Lindstrom, so we are faced with playing some of them at less effective positions on the wing or midfield or the bench. And don't get me started on fullbacks. Another full season lies ahead of hoping for 1-0 with a goal from a corner.

Agree, we need to get a few out the door before we can do much. While Thelwell has made some good signings, I feel like we've not addressed the key areas of weakness in the past few seasons. Still no pacey wingers, no reliable striker. Now we have three players that all play their best in the #10 role in Doucoure, Ndiaye, and Lindstrom, so we are faced with playing some of them at less effective positions on the wing or midfield or the bench. And don't get me started on fullbacks. Another full season lies ahead of hoping for 1-0 with a goal from a corner.
I think that you could be right on this. It feels a little bit like that Koeman summer. We need a striker and a pacey winger, not a collection of players who want to play centrally behind a striker.

I think that you could be right on this. It feels a little bit like that Koeman summer. We need a striker and a pacey winger, not a collection of players who want to play centrally behind a striker.

We've signed one out and out number ten, Lindstrom isn't a number ten has hardly played there he's played in a 3 as a wide forward, split wide am

Depth ? More like we are lacking quality from what I see.
Lindstrom, Braithwaithe, Tarkowski, Pickford, Gueye, Mykolenko, all out.

Add in O'Brien and that's possibly 7 starting players currently out, can possibly even add in Paterson but that's a 50/50.

Sorry it highlighted as I said we lack depth and we have several positions that likely need a new starter (RB, CF, maybe CM)

Edit - likely a new winger too which is why we've been after one

Pre season is showing that we severely lack depth and that we still need key positions in the starting 11.

It's showing nothing more than that in actuality

Basically this. It's showing the likes of Keane and Holgate aren't good enough. Which we have known for years.

Dyche is also running the knackers off them, which doesn't really help pre season results but affects the season itself.

Obviously we still want to bring a couple in but we don’t need a big squad. The reality is we will play 38 league games & probably a handful of cup games if we’re lucky.
Unless we shift some of the deadwood - Holgate, Maupay, etc, we won’t be bringing in another 4/5.

Basically this. It's showing the likes of Keane and Holgate aren't good enough. Which we have known for years.

Dyche is also running the knackers off them, which doesn't really help pre season results but affects the season itself.

Yeah I'm on the fence about how to go about pre season, there's certain sports where you have notorious great pre season teams who flop in the season (the NFL is renowned for some of those) the thinking bring if you are playing a blinder in ore season you've actually 'peaked' the players too early, same eith boxing and certain boxers being known as gym champions as they do all their best work in sparring etc and come fight night are drained

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back