Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Luton went down on 26, i thnk we had that at some point in Jan - btf i just read the stat on twittter and didn't check it myself.

Do you not think N'Diaye and Lindstorm, fill a bit the creativity and threat hole we had - i know we can only talk on paper. A couple of warm bodies up there, offering something a bit different on top of what we had last season wont do us any harm what so ever.

Irrelevant though isn't it, as 27 points won't be safe next season - 40 is the traditional benchmark because typically - it's safe.

As for the question - I've never seen either kick a ball mate.

Nobody has seen them kick a ball in the Prem.

Apparently both flopped big time in Italy and France last season.

I doubt 90% of Evertonians have seen either play much.

I'm not writing them off - my point is after 3 seasons of averaging 41 points - I'm not expecting things to change based on the signings we've made.

We need full backs, we need pace on the wings. We need a centre midfielder who can actually pass the ball forward/progress play. We need a striker. We need depth. We need a lot.

This is where you and I disagree. Our financial horizon is 12 months, which must coincide with how the squad is structured. The timing aspect is more important than the cash aspect at this point.

We did well to get Chermiti in last year, ignore the short term implications. But that was before we lopped 400 million of higher interest debt onto the balance sheet and went through 3 different potential ownership groups.

It's boring, even for me, to keep bringing the conversation back to finance, but it dictates every single thing the club does.

But its not a decision in isolation, there is a number of ways we can raise revenue around the squad if required systemically - we aren't backed into the corner. Though I dont think we can leave the Dom fee on the table in terms of squad planning in terms of good player trading. Also its ignoring other options at play like a restructure or a change of ownership - this time last year we were full sure MSP were going to own the club, think of all that has happened since then.

Interesting discussion. But we're probably moving away from the core point - which is i think the DCL is way more nuanced then it just being dumb not to play him.

Anyhow we prob wont progress, but good to debate it! ;)

Last edited:
Irrelevant though isn't it, as 27 points won't be safe next season - 40 is the traditional benchmark because typically - it's safe.

I'm not writing them off - my point is after 3 seasons of averaging 41 points - I'm not expecting things to change based on the signings we've made.

We need full backs, we need pace on the wings. We need a centre midfielder who can actually pass the ball forward/progress play. We need a striker. We need depth. We need a lot.

So what you're ultimately saying is that you're 100% confident we're going to win the league.

UTFT

I'm just irked that teams that were significantly inferior to us like west ham and aston villa just a couple of seasons ago have completely elevated their squads and status in a very little amount of time yet we seem to be stuck in quick sand never really addressing the more glaring deficiencies in our squad

The three promoted teams are getting a lot more respect than their squads suggest they should IMO. Goals are always tougher to score and easier to concede in PL than Championship. Both Southampton and Ipswich were mediocre defensively last season. They have both done most of their transfer business to try to improve that area. How effectively they have done it will determine their chances of survival.

Luton showed that free-flowing exciting football is not enough if you leak like a sieve. I would rather be us than the newly promoted teams as it currently stands whilst acknowledging that like pretty much every Evertonian I would feel happier with another goal threat and an extra option at both CM, full-back.

I'm just irked that teams that were significantly inferior to us like west ham and aston villa just a couple of seasons ago have completely elevated their squads and status in a very little amount of time yet we seem to be stuck in quick sand never really addressing the more glaring deficiencies in our squad
That's cos we wasted vast sums of money on really bad players and appointed very, very bad managers.

I would like to say things have changed but only 12months ago we paid 25m for Beto.

Yep, fair point!

Realistically though, the mess weve made of the club and finances, we have to target our spending and priotise our positions. Given the profile of the club at the moment we're either buying cheaper abroad or lads who want to make a step up below us - so there will be a risk profile - got my head around that a while ago. There is no way we can afford to improve every position we need realistically, we will be doing that bit by bit over windows, but the areas we brought players into this year - are probably mission critical, given how bad we have been a creating, scoring and in general being threatening - that was my hope of priority for the window personally.

I guess its also about expectation and planned realistic outcomes, what's realistic....... if we brought in all we wanted we could prob have a bash at Europe - we wont though - so realistically id say our aim is to have a squad who cant compete for 10th at best and have a look again next summer.

Last edited:
That's cos we wasted vast sums of money on really bad players and appointed very, very bad managers.

I would like to say things have changed but only 12months ago we paid 25m for Beto.
Well we got him for 25mil but we havent paid a dime yet.

Klarna

Yep, fair point!

Realistically though, the mess weve made of the club and finances, we have to target our spending and priotise our positions. Given the profile of the club at the moment we're either buying cheaper abroad or lads who want to make a step up below us - so there will be a risk profile - got my head around that a while ago. There is no way we can afford to improve every position we need realistically, we will be doing that bit by bit over windows, but the areas we brought players into this year - are probably mission critical, given how bad we have been a creating, scoring and in general being threatening - that was my hope of priority for the window personally.

I guess its also about outcome, what's realistic, if we brought in all we wanted we could prob have a bash at Europe - we wont though, so realistically id say our aim is to have a squad who cant compete for 10th at best and have a look again next summer.
it's something we should have been doing right from the start of Moshiri tenure. Nothing kills creativity and efficiency like money sadly and we stopped doing things right because we were rich. The fact we've sold pretty much every asset we have over the last 5 years yet we still operate at a massive loss shows you how terribly we are run. It's arguably the most Everton thing ever that we end up with the one billionaire accountant who can't manage accounts.

it's something we should have been doing right from the start of Moshiri tenure. Nothing kills creativity and efficiency like money sadly and we stopped doing things right because we were rich. The fact we've sold pretty much every asset we have over the last 5 years yet we still operate at a massive loss shows you how terribly we are run. It's arguably the most Everton thing ever that we end up with the one billionaire accountant who can't manage accounts.

100%

We totally turned into Tories mate.

I have no issue in not wanting to spend a high fee on a pacey wide player or forward. But there have to be players out there who we believe have potential and can be an option, in the 5-10m range rather than 20m plus.

Pace is a major issue with this team. The recruitment team really should be addressing it.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back