Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

This punt HAS to work out. Because it is a huge risk. There's a touch of the Deles about this one: a formerly elite player who looks finished rocking up at the Premier League's most charitable club.

Dyche is paid for his judgement. He needs to get this one right.
The art of punts - given that you never know if an individual one is going to work out - is managing the risk so that if one does go south it doesn’t wipe you out.

Guess it depends how much a loan of this guy is going to cost, both in absolute terms, and relative to the remaining budget and the other options for the spot.

Obvs if he does get back some of his old magic, then SD and KT look like geniuses.

We won’t be signing him permanently mate, I’d say mate, be heavily subsidised loan, we won’t break our structure.

If Dele stays, he would be on a very low base.
We shouldn't be entertaining either player imo, it's an utter joke tbh and just covers for more lazy recruitment from the club. I don't think any other PL team does it but the point still remains even with subsidising the wages which from our point is still a costly exercise due them both being on big money. I just have a feeling this Phillips move is going to backfire.

The comparisons to Dele Ali are lazy imo. One's been out of shape/down the pecking order at his club and the other has been addicted to medication dealing with mental health issues.

If Philips could stay fit then Dyche is the type of manager to sort him out !

If that's the case then Moyes who is very similar to Dyche in some straits, would have worked it out too, he couldn't. Not wholly against it, but I would hate to see some big time Charley taking a huge wage just to coast along.

We shouldn't be entertaining either player imo, it's an utter joke tbh and just covers for more lazy recruitment from the club. I don't think any other PL team does it but the point still remains even with subsidising the wages which from our point is still a costly exercise due them both being on big money. I just have a feeling this Phillips move is going to backfire.

Keep saying it mate, any signing we make is going to carry a risk profile, it’s where you land personally opinion wise on the risk we are taking on.

We can’t afford Phillips really, so I’ve no doubt the deal is heavily subsidised.

Dele at the moment costs us nothing, so I don’t see the harm in taking a look at him.

Overall we’ve a multi million pound sports science team and unit, who will be doing a battery to see if these lids are physically up to it, beyond that you are making a judgement on their psychosocial profiles.

The comparisons to Dele Ali are lazy imo. One's been out of shape/down the pecking order at his club and the other has been addicted to medication dealing with mental health issues.

If Philips could stay fit then Dyche is the type of manager to sort him out !

I’d like to see them both rehabilitated for want of a better word and make a judgement mate.

We took chances on the likes of Reid, Gray, Barry, Campbell, Gough, Ferguson etc in the past.

Ironic thing is, we’re a club in need of rehabilitation ourselves, hoping good players take a chance on us.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back