Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

And Maupay was slotting 25 in that league when he was 21, too.

We haven't got a pot to piss in, so unless we sell, we aren't buying.

Yup I would have liked us to try a similar deal to the Lindstrom one for Abraham from Roma.

Strikers probably the single hardest position to get right, since the days of Sharp, honestly how many have we had, how much doesn't and we've had exactly one who can be called a complete success - Lukaku, a few who for a period did ok - Yak, Richy, DCL (for cost) even Ferguson for me was a bit of a bust in terms of what we paid at the time and his overall production - cult icon based on personality rather than being particularly good.

So so many absolute flops during that time as well, Johnson, Beattie, Tosun, Beto (tbd), Maupay, etc

Yup I would have liked us to try a similar deal to the Lindstrom one for Abraham from Roma.

Strikers probably the single hardest position to get right, since the days of Sharp, honestly how many have we had, how much doesn't and we've had exactly one who can be called a complete success - Lukaku, a few who for a period did ok - Yak, Richy, DCL (for cost) even Ferguson for me was a bit of a bust in terms of what we paid at the time and his overall production - cult icon based on personality rather than being particularly good.

So so many absolute flops during that time as well, Johnson, Beattie, Tosun, Beto (tbd), Maupay, etc

The forward position and us - i believe we are stuck in a time warp some what. Largely in the history of football, you played two up top a fetcher and scorer - for an example like Quinn the Fetcher and Phillips the scorer or maybe Sharp the fetcher and Lineker/Cottee the scorer. The fetcher would get you 5-10 a season but largely set up the scorer, who would get 10-20.

Football evolved and when it did, one was sacrificed up front for another somewhere else - be at the back, wing, or centrally.

We didnt evolve, really instead we played largely without a scorer and just played with a fetcher up top - Lukaku and Yak prob exceptions, maybe Johnson but by and large thats what we do.

Take Dom hes a fetcher, hes not a scorer and that's fine, hes actually a good one, but you have to know what he is - his ceiling in 5-10 goals, in years gone by hes the Quinn, but we dont play with a Phillips, hence we dont score a lot.

Doms situation offers' an opportunity to look at the whole thing and the whole set up - can we play a different way, can we get a scorer, can we afford one, can we play a different way then hitting the big man and him holding it up..............?

If we play with a fetcher again - you have to add goals around him - you need goals wide and you need them from behind.

Last edited:

anyone catch this from the Grauniad? identifying a player each club should sign?????????????

Everton: Kalvin Phillips​

There is a gaping Amadou Onana-shaped hole in the Everton midfield following his departure to Aston Villa last month. Tim Iroegbunam has already gone the other direction, swapping Villa Park for Goodison Park, but Everton need more experience in the centre of midfield. Kalvin Phillips struggled during his loan spell with West Ham in the second half of last season, but the former Leeds man would prove a handy addition for Everton. He is an effective ball winner who has the requisite skillset to succeed in a Sean Dyche side. Crucially, he needs to rebuild his reputation and try to win back his England spot.
Stopped reading after this. Based on the end of last season and resurgence in the team's form and results with him on the bench, there was no hole at all.

He scored 6 premier league goals in 32 at Southampton. That was the season with no crowds at games also. Since then he's had a loan at Fulham where he couldn't get in the side, played 8 times and didn't score, and his grand total of Chelsea goals is 3 in 38 appearances. We definitely don't need another striker who dosent score goals.
Agreed

Wasn't Kane rubbish when loaned out?

Turned out ok for him

There’s loads of examples of players turning their form around in a big way. You can only really judge players when they’re consistently fit, playing and confident. Some players just can’t perform when they’re in and out the team, coming off the bench, and injured all the time. Some players need to be the main man playing most weeks.

How much did DCL and Richarlison develop as young players because we just played them nearly all the time. DCL’s career probably looks a lot different if we’d bought a good replacement for Lukaku and hadn’t just kept playing him all the time.

Some players just need and opportunity in certain circumstances to show their best. Its not guaranteed they will but it’s certainly not guaranteed they won’t either

He has also missed a lot of football because of the acl.

Indeed.

A striker failing at Chelsea is nothing to be so conclusive about.

But he's had injuries and a few iffy loan spells but at 22, I personally wouldn't be so conclusive/write him off.

It's where pragmatism has to come in - factoring in what we're able to spend. As I say, I think we only look at Broja if it suits us with Calvert-Lewin. I dont think the club will let him go on a free.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back