Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

They've already tried to flog him to the Saudis mate, spent 65m on Solanke - does he wanna sit on the bench all season and do spurs want to see his value plummet for a season he doesn't play much.

Key word, sell. Yes they are happy to sell him and get their money back. But why would they want to loan him out? Could only see this if they can get a quality attacking striker on loan themseleves first.

In what remains of the window? No chance we get all of those positions in the time left, we need a full back and midfielder more than a CB we have five on the books right now. Plus we want 70m minimum for JB who will only be worth more next summer. DCL will go with some of the dead wood and we will bring a few in. JB will be sold next summer but we shouldn't sell now.

Simply put, no player we want to keep should now be sold whatever the bid.

Jarrod now is let's face it gonna be the p&s sale to reach compliance more than likely next summer.

We need to just focus on getting rid of the dead wood or players we seem not essential, and DCL of he doesn't re-sign. Whatever we get can go into strengthening.

Chelsea should be seeing quite a few players leave on deadline day. Might be some options for us on loan.

I'd genuinely be holding back on that one domestic loan spot to see what be ones available mate, as clubs start bringing guys in certain players may suddenly become available better than the current choices we have.

See spurs buying Solanke, suddenly now you can see Richy maybe going on loan etc.

Key word, sell. Yes they are happy to sell him and get their money back. But why would they want to loan him out? Could only see this if they can get a quality attacking striker on loan themseleves first.

A few reasons, 90k pw for a back up, if he has a season like his first then his value will depreciate further, player may not be happy sitting on the bench the majority of the season.

Loan removes a mopey player, gets 90k off their pay roll, probably nets them a significant loan fee of 5-7m, a good loan drums up interest and restores his value.

I'd genuinely be holding back on that one domestic loan spot to see what be ones available mate, as clubs start bringing guys in certain players may suddenly become available better than the current choices we have.

See spurs buying Solanke, suddenly now you can see Richy maybe going on loan etc.
Think they will keep him for cover will want sell but will wait for a bid they find high enough. Just dont think we could afford the loan or would have to agree a fee to buy prob be high because low loan fee

Think they will keep him for cover will want sell but will wait for a bid they find high enough. Just dont think we could afford the loan or would have to agree a fee to buy prob be high because low loan fee

Probably mate, we will see, I won't be surprised though if we see some things pop up about him moving on this summer (and not to Saudi either)

Think it was awful value mate, how much did we spend on central midfielders from Idrissa 1 - Idrissa 2. (Dont get me started on wages).

Far more then we got and ended up spending money to bring him back.

Agreed but that’s not Gueye’s fault. On paper we bought him for 7mill, had several good seasons from him, sold him for 30 mill, bought him back for 2 and he’s still one of our better midfielders. The mistakes since he left were the injuries to Gomes, Gbamin, Delph, buying a slowing down Allan, overpaying for Doucoure.

It looks like we’re back on the right track with positive returns from Onana, Garner increased in value, and hopefully we can see the same trajectory from Iroegbunam.

I know we have a limited budget and we did go for Gnonto and couldnt afford him. But what still baffles me about our transfer strategy is we are a counter attacking team and still badly lack pace, Lindstrom and N'Diaye will help as they are quick and can dribble but we need explosive pace to carry us up the field on the counter. It seems we have gone for the likes of Minteh, Gnonto, Philogene, but who will we end up with? Pace and effectiveness with that pace should have been the number one priority it would make such a massive difference to our team and is something we have lacked for years, as much as I think we have had a pretty good window so far. Tim looks promising and O'Brien should be a solid CB.

Doesn’t matter whether we can afford or not, he wanted out to play CL, not a chance he would come here, may as well go to Saudi for the money if were the only option.

Doesn’t matter whether we can afford or not, he wanted out to play CL, not a chance he would come here, may as well go to Saudi for the money if were the only option.

Yup but spurs aren't in it, he's maybe realised by now they'll never be a fixture their and he don't be starting if they were, and in this country he won't ever get a move to a team were he'd be a starter in a CL team.

Weirdly he's one of the few south Americans that's never ever even hinted at wanting to play anywhere besides in England too.

Reckon if we did strike a deal with spurs he'd come back in a shot mate tbh

Yup but spurs aren't in it, he's maybe realised by now they'll never be a fixture their and he don't be starting if they were, and in this country he won't ever get a move to a team were he'd be a starter in a CL team.

Weirdly he's one of the few south Americans that's never ever even hinted at wanting to play anywhere besides in England too.

Reckon if we did strike a deal with spurs he'd come back in a shot mate tbh

The problem that every team in the whole world have when it comes to dealing with Spurs, is quite simply Levy.

He has to be the most difficult Chairman in the whole league to deal with.

An very obvious example was how he dug in for years over Kane.

I know we have a limited budget and we did go for Gnonto and couldnt afford him. But what still baffles me about our transfer strategy is we are a counter attacking team and still badly lack pace, Lindstrom and N'Diaye will help as they are quick and can dribble but we need explosive pace to carry us up the field on the counter. It seems we have gone for the likes of Minteh, Gnonto, Philogene, but who will we end up with? Pace and effectiveness with that pace should have been the number one priority it would make such a massive difference to our team and is something we have lacked for years, as much as I think we have had a pretty good window so far. Tim looks promising and O'Brien should be a solid CB.

We’ve actually had decent amounts of pace in recent teams especially in attacking areas but we never have it right across the team which is a bigger problem in my view.

All of Gray Iwobi Doucoure Calvert Lewin Richarlison Walcott were quick. Sure none of them are absolutely lightning but it’s very rare you see wingers doing defenders completely for pace any more. I remember Calvert Lewin winning the foot race against Alexander Arnold in the Derby win at Anfield with ease. They were all more than quick enough.

What we seem to have trouble with is getting the overall pace of the team up so that everyone can cover ground effectively and squeeze distances. Every time we’ve had quick attacks our central midfield has been stupidly slow with Davies Gomes Allan Siggurdson chugging around. When we finally get some legs in midfield in Onana Garner Docuoure we have wide players of McNeill and Harrison without pace.

We can’t play high lines because we don’t have quick enough defenders. It’s very difficult to break from low blocks on the counter though without pace up front. It just leads to unbalanced teams with gaps that can be exploited.

The top teams just don’t buy slow players now. The game has become so punishing that most teams need pace power and technique 1-11 just to even compete. These players cost money though so Everton always seem to compromise on on or two of these characteristics (e.g Moyes bought technical players like Arteta Osman Pienaar but not much pace or power, Dyche has plenty of power in Tarkowski McNeil Branthwaite Mykolenko but not much pace, Silva had Zouma Gueye Richarlison DCl, pace and power but not much technique.)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back