Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

I think with half a leg and no football he would still have more talent than Mcneil, Harrison and Doucs.

I think Dyche said he was being loyal with what the club had done for him, before he made a choice of club.
He has not been playing regularly for a couple of season and he was sent back from Turkey. This is a very odd decision.

Given how short we are in midfield, and our lack of funds, i can't see us not offering him a new contract. I'm still conflicted on him to be honest. If he could recapture even half of the player he was he would be one of our best players. And it would be proper Everton to not see him play for 2 years, cover his rehab and get him fully fit only for him to go somewhere else and suddenly turn back into prime Dele.
That said it would be proper Everton to get him fit, he starts his first game and one of his legs explode.

The club's approach seems quite sensible given our financial constraints. We're dealing with a player who has faced both mental and physical challenges, but who was once among the best in the world in his position. His talent far surpasses what we currently have in the squad.

I tend to be sentimental about these situations and love a good comeback story. My heart was telling me we could restore him to his former glory, but my head reminded me that it might not be the wisest choice given our financial limitations. However, after witnessing Ross's return to form for Luton last year, I realised that players can indeed make a successful comeback. While Ross's journey differs from Ali's, it has changed my perspective.

If Dyche and Kev believe he can regain his form, then I fully support the decision.
It's going to be a tough decision for the club to offer a new contract, and they are completely right to want to see him play matches before making an offer.

But what I would say is that he doesn't need to be the same player he was at Spurs to help our team. If he can get back to 60% or 70% of his form around the 2018 world cup, he could be a useful player

But it all depends on two things... firstly we need to see him play matches, and get through them without any injury or fitness concerns. Then we need to agree a deal on significantly less wages, that makes sense for us as a club.

Back in 2019.

If we are silly enough to offer him a contract this is like a former chairman decision based on sentiment. The reality is that he has been on a free since 30 June and no club dares to make an offer. This speaks it all.
I think there's the unknown here about what Dyche and co see in training. If he's able to reach a level behind closed doors which Dyche believes would benefit the squad, and provided the finances involved make it low risk, then I'd be happy to accept Dyche and Thelwell's judgement.

I think the fact that no other club has been reported to have an interest in Dele yet is more of a function of his injuries and his issues. We are pretty much uniquely placed currently to judge whether there's enough of an upside to warrant exploring a deal. The interest from other clubs will come, but we are at the front of the queue currently with regard to making an offer.

Tbh, as long as there's no unpleasant surprises in the Spurs terms that can't be overcome (they need to remember that if Dele moves to literally any other club in the world, they receive zero, so agreeing to write off any clauses but having something like the entitlement to 50% of any future transfer fee would seem sensible for them otherwise they may be cutting their nose off to spite their face), then I'm pretty comfortable with the Dele situation. He's not in a position to ask for anything like the wages he was getting before, so a year deal with an option for us to extend at a higher wage may make sense for all involved if he is showing enough to merit it.

It's going to be a tough decision for the club to offer a new contract, and they are completely right to want to see him play matches before making an offer.

But what I would say is that he doesn't need to be the same player he was at Spurs to help our team. If he can get back to 60% or 70% of his form around the 2018 world cup, he could be a useful player

But it all depends on two things... firstly we need to see him play matches, and get through them without any injury or fitness concerns. Then we need to agree a deal on significantly less wages, that makes sense for us as a club.
and that's the biggie. This has to be on our terms, at least to begin with. If he suddenly turns back the clock and looks great then we offer a better deal but right now it needs to be sensible.

and that's the biggie. This has to be on our terms, at least to begin with. If he suddenly turns back the clock and looks great then we offer a better deal but right now it needs to be sensible.
Yep

Has to be on significantly less wages and probably short term. Something like a 12 month deal or 12 months plus a club option for another season.

It's very hard for us to say if it's worth making an offer. None of us will see him play in training and none of us know what the terms of a deal would be.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back