Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Unfortunately you may be right and it might hinder his development. In an ideal world he would have a full Championship season loan. Same with Simms...in an ideal world you'd want his Coventry move to be a loan and come back. Sad times for the club.
Simms is 23 the last thing the club needs to be doing is keeping players until their mid 20s just farming them out on loan hoping they get better. Same with Dobbin and Warrington they've had loans and its now just a case of deciding if they can have a career at this level or not all the signs are that they can't unfortunately.

Unfortunately you may be right and it might hinder his development. In an ideal world he would have a full Championship season loan. Same with Simms...in an ideal world you'd want his Coventry move to be a loan and come back. Sad times for the club.
Patterson in reality needed one this season also. But with injuries at the wrong time (even in January Coleman, Young & Godfrey all had injury's at one point).

Pass on him but I'd actually take Welbeck if Brighton are culling their over 30s.

Not going to score that many goals. However he can hold it up no problem, drop deep and play across the forward line so gives more flexibility and prem experience across the halfway line.

He might have a year left at Brighton though?
Would be a decent option on the left of a front 3. Can see him linking up well with DCL. 1 year deal only though

…a loan for Dobbin is effectively a goodbye as his contract expires next summer.
Would be another one i would try extend just dont think will help him or us being here another season. Unless we dont bring wingers in, he does have talent so think even if we decided has no future here would have value to move on if he got new deal

Simms is 23 the last thing the club needs to be doing is keeping players until their mid 20s just farming them out on loan hoping they get better. Same with Dobbin and Warrington they've had loans and its now just a case of deciding if they can have a career at this level or not all the signs are that they can't unfortunately.

I disagree. Lots of clubs do it and it's good to have homegrown talent in that respect. Simms is on 19 goals overall this season for Coventry, he'd have been an excellent backup to have in an ideal world.

I disagree. Lots of clubs do it and it's good to have homegrown talent in that respect. Simms is on 19 goals overall this season for Coventry, he'd have been an excellent backup to have in an ideal world.
Thats what i'm saying though you have to decide if he's good enough to have as back up or not you don't just keep loaning him out every season waiting to find out. Who was the last player you can think of that a team loaned out until they were mid 20s who then became a quality player for them? Leon Osman is about the only one I can think of and that was 20 years ago.

Thats what i'm saying though you have to decide if he's good enough to have as back up or not you don't just keep loaning him out every season waiting to find out. Who was the last player you can think of that a team loaned out until they were mid 20s who then became a quality player for them? Leon Osman is about the only one I can think of and that was 20 years ago.

I think we decided he was good enough and had to sell him for the finance books as we received a too good to refuse type offer. That's also the point. We don't need some of our youth to be 'quality players' unless we want to sell them, we really just need a bunch of them to be good enough to be squad options.

I think we decided he was good enough and had to sell him for the finance books as we received a too good to refuse type offer. That's also the point. We don't need some of our youth to be 'quality players' unless we want to sell them, we really just need a bunch of them to be good enough to be squad options.
Well to play regularly in the premier league you should be a quality player thats the point any player from the youth team can come in for the odd 20 minute run out or even a start and not be terrible but theres a massive difference between doing that and being a proper top level player who can produce the goods for you rather than just be a body. I don't know what you're talking about now with Simms you originally said we should have loaned him out again now you seem to be saying we should have kept him to play they're different arguments i'm not trying to say he's not good enough i'm saying loaning him out again would have been stupid he'd had 3 loans already and played a bit for us and he was about to turn 23 you either stick or twist at that point the one thing you don't do is defer your decision for another year.

Well to play regularly in the premier league you should be a quality player thats the point any player from the youth team can come in for the odd 20 minute run out or even a start and not be terrible but theres a massive difference between doing that and being a proper top level player who can produce the goods for you rather than just be a body. I don't know what you're talking about now with Simms you originally said we should have loaned him out again now you seem to be saying we should have kept him to play they're different arguments i'm not trying to say he's not good enough i'm saying loaning him out again would have been stupid he'd had 3 loans already and played a bit for us and he was about to turn 23 you either stick or twist at that point the one thing you don't do is defer your decision for another year.

My argument is the same and constitutes both. That in an ideal world we would have loaned him instead of selling and he'd now be ready to be the undisputed second striker for us. Same with Dobbin...ideally last season or this season we'd have sent him on loan for him to be a first backup option for our wide positions rather than waste money on a Danjuma type loan again. I don't think one loan is too much...Kane had four loans before he started playing for Spurs, then had a bit part first season for them before becoming their starter.

Would he though? Theres a world of difference playing against Championship CBs and premier league CBs. Like a lot of people at the time i thought he looked out of his depth when he got bits of chances for us and was right to be sold.

My argument is the same and constitutes both. That in an ideal world we would have loaned him instead of selling and he'd now be ready to be the undisputed second striker for us. Same with Dobbin...ideally last season or this season we'd have sent him on loan for him to be a first backup option for our wide positions rather than waste money on a Danjuma type loan again. I don't think one loan is too much...Kane had four loans before he started playing for Spurs, then had a bit part first season for them before becoming their starter.
I just disagree with the entire notion that players automatically get better by going out on loan its a massively flawed premise. You have to decide whether players have got what it takes or not thats what you get paid for as a manager and a coach if you can't tell by watching someone in training every day and seeing the games they've played already at the age of 21 then you're in the wrong job.

I just disagree with the entire notion that players automatically get better by going out on loan its a massively flawed premise. You have to decide whether players have got what it takes or not thats what you get paid for as a manager and a coach if you can't tell by watching someone in training every day and seeing the games they've played already at the age of 21 then you're in the wrong job.

They don't but we have the benefit of hindsight with Simms. He has got better this season.
Would he though? Theres a world of difference playing against Championship CBs and premier league CBs. Like a lot of people at the time i thought he looked out of his depth when he got bits of chances for us and was right to be sold.

I think so, he was still developing and still is but he's shown this season to be good player. He also scored 2 goals vs Wolves and 1 goal vs United this season.

They don't but we have the benefit of hindsight with Simms. He has got better this season.

I think so, he was still developing and still is but he's shown this season to be good player. He also scored 2 goals vs Wolves and 1 goal vs United this season.
Yeah but in one off cup games mate. Loads of players score against bigger sides in one off cup games it doesnt necessarily mean they are good players. Championship football is where he will probably spend most of his career and be an adequate and effective striker for that level. Thats just my opinion you are entitled to think differently. I suppose we will see if hes good enough if/when he ever plays a full season for someone in the Peremier league again eh?

Yeah but in one off cup games mate. Loads of players score against bigger sides in one off cup games it doesnt necessarily mean they are good players. Championship football is where he will probably spend most of his career and be an adequate and effective striker for that level. Thats just my opinion you are entitled to think differently. I suppose we will see if hes good enough if/when he ever plays a full season for someone in the Peremier league again eh?

I agree he will probably stay there as he'll be a starter at that level. Peronally I think Championship level is a good level, not sure why people are snobbish or decide to go to extremes when comparing divisions. A good player/starter in the Championship is equal to the level of a backup for a mid-table side in my opinion.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back