Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

I agree he will probably stay there as he'll be a starter at that level. Peronally I think Championship level is a good level, not sure why people are snobbish or decide to go to extremes when comparing divisions. A good player/starter in the Championship is equal to the level of a backup for a mid-table side in my opinion.
TBH the evidence of how good a level it is is probably shown with the teams that came up and went down this year isnt it? Burnley ripped it up in the Championship and no doubt some of their players looked great. Different story this season though. How many of their players would you take? Its not being snobbish its just the reality now. Theres defo a gulf between the two levels in my opinion thats all.

My argument is the same and constitutes both. That in an ideal world we would have loaned him instead of selling and he'd now be ready to be the undisputed second striker for us. Same with Dobbin...ideally last season or this season we'd have sent him on loan for him to be a first backup option for our wide positions rather than waste money on a Danjuma type loan again. I don't think one loan is too much...Kane had four loans before he started playing for Spurs, then had a bit part first season for them before becoming their starter.
Like most players who get there chance! Kane got an opportunity in the Europa League and began scoring. I'm not saying its luck, its obviously not for someone like Kane! But he got his main opportunity at Spurs due to them not being particularly bothered about the Europa League, his loans out were mainly pointless I'd say!
You look at the majority of our young players who have come through. DCL for example .............mainly got abit of a run in the Koeman Europa League campaign, he stayed relevant and the extra fixtures fulfilled his needs and kept him in the managers earshot!

Dyche seems the type of manager who isn't to interested in loans, i think he would be more interested in training and keeping players he wants to give an opportunity close to him

TBH the evidence of how good a level it is is probably shown with the teams that came up and went down this year isnt it? Burnley ripped it up in the Championship and no doubt some of their players looked great. Different story this season though. How many of their players would you take? Its not being snobbish its just the reality now. Theres defo a gulf between the two levels in my opinion thats all.
I wasn't advocating Simms being a starter though, my argument has always been about making sure that some youth get through as just squad options and loaning is a good way to develop them to make sure that when they do play for Everton they're not raw and have a good level of football behind them to make a bit of a difference.

Like most players who get there chance! Kane got an opportunity in the Europa League and began scoring. I'm not saying its luck, its obviously not for someone like Kane! But he got his main opportunity at Spurs due to them not being particularly bothered about the Europa League, his loans out were mainly pointless I'd say!
You look at the majority of our young players who have come through. DCL for example .............mainly got abit of a run in the Koeman Europa League campaign, he stayed relevant and the extra fixtures fulfilled his needs and kept him in the managers earshot!

Dyche seems the type of manager who isn't to interested in loans, i think he would be more interested in training and keeping players he wants to give an opportunity close to him

I wouldn't say they're pointless, I think they allowed him to get professional football behind him that meant when he did make that step up, he had the knowledge and physique behind him to cope with the step up, rather than looking incredibly raw in respect to youth who get the odd game here and there off the bench like Dobbin. Also before someone steps in to say there is a massive difference in quality, that's obvious, the wider point is just about experiences etc.

I wasn't advocating Simms being a starter though, my argument has always been about making sure that some youth get through as just squad options and loaning is a good way to develop them to make sure that when they do play for Everton they're not raw and have a good level of football behind them to make a bit of a difference.
I mean he only scored 13 in the Championship anyway and 3 of them were against Rotherham who are absolutely abysmal and conceded 89 in the season. So was his season really as great as it seems anyway?

I mean he only scored 13 in the Championship anyway and 3 of them were against Rotherham who are absolutely abysmal and conceded 89 in the season. So was his season really as great as it seems anyway?
Been good enough for me that would dictate he'd be a great BACKUP for a mid-table PL side as a homegrown player. Again, not every player in your squad needs to be the greatest ever.

Been good enough for me that would dictate he'd be a great BACKUP for a mid-table PL side as a homegrown player. Again, not every player in your squad needs to be the greatest ever.
Nobody said they did. Why do people have to go to extremes on here to argue a point? He wouldnt have to be the greatest ever but on the evidence we have i reckon hes not good enough to either start for us or do much off the bench. Most of his goals were against bang average Champ sides. I wouldnt want us to go and buy an average striker from the champ to be in the squad sitting on the bench or otherwise so we will agree to differ.

Nobody said they did. Why do people have to go to extremes on here to argue a point? He wouldnt have to be the greatest ever but on the evidence we have i reckon hes not good enough to either start for us or do much off the bench. Most of his goals were against bang average Champ sides. I wouldnt want us to go and buy an average striker from the champ to be in the squad sitting on the bench or otherwise so we will agree to differ.
We weren't buying him though. Agree to disagree.

We weren't buying him though. Agree to disagree.
I didnt say we were the point i was making was i wouldnt want us to buy ANY average Champ striker just to be a player on the bench so i wouldnt have kept the one we had like we didnt so for me it was right to move him on. We need decent players on the bench to come on and influence games not just bodies and from what a saw of him hes the latter at this level.

I didnt say we were the point i was making was i wouldnt want us to buy ANY average Champ striker just to be a player on the bench so i wouldnt have kept the one we had like we didnt so for me it was right to move him on. We need decent players on the bench to come on and influence games not just bodies and from what a saw of him hes the latter at this level.
Like Beto or Maupay? :P

…I think Warrington’s contract expires next month, so assume he’ll be finding pastures new. Dobbin is now entering his final year, he wasn’t used much in a poor squad which tells us everything.

Dyche has been quite forthright in suggesting there’s nobody near making the step-up so I doubt any of the U21s will be part of the clubs plans, maybe with the exception of Mills who might be given an opportunity to impress pre-season.

I’d be more inclined to forget the U21 group and hope there’s one or two in the next tranche. Coby Ebere has a lot of the physical attributes if he can develop more quality;

I dont think Dyche meant Dobbin or perhaps Warrington as they were already in a number of squads before that statement.

Even a short contract try keep his value on low smart money so we gave the option and have the avantage selling if wr send him on loan. Think for me dobbin must go out on loan if we can bring wingers in needs to be getting more game time.

Not for me.

…a loan for Dobbin is effectively a goodbye as his contract expires next summer.

Magically we could loan him and extend his contract. I dont see him going on loan.

Would be another one i would try extend just dont think will help him or us being here another season. Unless we dont bring wingers in, he does have talent so think even if we decided has no future here would have value to move on if he got new deal

I think Dobbin will go up a gear in preseason and hope he continues as 2nd choice LW & Chermiti a 2nd choice forward.

I think if both are 2nd choice rotation options over a season and getting minutes against high quality players...that will do them some good.

Chermiti has shown he can improve from within and Dobbin has already done the loan system.

Keep both and develop.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back