Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

That's as much down to the manager as anyone else: we play 451 hoofball every week with a "striker" who is worth about half-dozen goals a season but plays every week. Hopefully the takeover goes through and the new guy brings in a manager/coaching team who actually want to play front foot attacking football and good recruitment people to facilitate it.

Been debated to death, but in my view, our squad and the requirement of pragmatism largely dictated that low block % football style.

Wanting to do something, and doing what's best out of necessity are two entirely different things. This team isn't good enough to play high press/possession football.

Will we see the same when/if players with pace/ability in the final third come in? Time will tell.

From the Athletic, it sounds like DCL himself scuppered the Newcastle deal over wages. Which could screw us in a number of ways if we needed that deal to go through.

No idea what he was looking for but maybe this will be a reality check for him on his value and maybe give him fresh perspective on our own offer.

“Minteh’s desire is to remain in the Premier League, with the player reluctant to move to French club Lyon, who Newcastle thought they had agreed a deal with. He was also set to go to Everton in return for striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin, but negotiations fell apart after Newcastle and Calvert-Lewin were unable to agree terms.”

Not like DCL to think of himself is it:coffee:

First time the lad scored 15 goals he was running off to do interview with anyone whod listen talking about how he was going to move to a CL club.

Then cry arses about why he doesnt have a song and he doesnt feel loved at the club. Been here for near a decade and feels like hes never really committed to everton or us as fans.

1000% agree with the second bit, and he seems like the kind of guy who will do it. That's what I'm hoping for. Only then will we be able to move forward instead of being a rudderless, ambitionless outfit merely clinging on to Prem existence.
There will definitely be sweeping changes, whoever comes in as the new owner. Now that Kenwright isn’t there to insist on muppets like Elstone and DBB “running” things, any new owner will want to install competent people in the key business positions.

From the Athletic, it sounds like DCL himself scuppered the Newcastle deal over wages. Which could screw us in a number of ways if we needed that deal to go through.

No idea what he was looking for but maybe this will be a reality check for him on his value and maybe give him fresh perspective on our own offer.

“Minteh’s desire is to remain in the Premier League, with the player reluctant to move to French club Lyon, who Newcastle thought they had agreed a deal with. He was also set to go to Everton in return for striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin, but negotiations fell apart after Newcastle and Calvert-Lewin were unable to agree terms.”

Would make sense given he was apparently high on their list. I suspect both clubs would have wanted to get a deal done but they couldn't agree personal terms with him so backed out.

Not like DCL to think of himself is it:coffee:

First time the lad scored 15 goals he was running off to do interview with anyone whod listen talking about how he was going to move to a CL club.

Then cry arses about why he doesnt have a song and he doesnt feel loved at the club. Been here for near a decade and feels like hes never really committed to everton or us as fans.
I think you mean 'the ONLY TIME the lad scored 15 goals in his entire career'.

54 goals in 8 seasons I think it is. Not even 7 a year average. How not getting rid of this lad for an actual striker wasn't our No1 priority is beyond me. Haven't had a top striker since Lukaku.

Would make sense given he was apparently high on their list. I suspect both clubs would have wanted to get a deal done but they couldn't agree personal terms with him so backed out.
Wanting £35m for a striker who doesn't score goals in the last year of his deal is an insane valuation to the point of stupidity on the clubs part. We've just sold Godfrey for £10m who had a year left, DCL should realistically be around the £10-20m pricepoint and no well-run, smart club like Newcastle is paying a penny more than that.

From DCL's point of view: it's a no-lose situation. Stay here, pick up £80-100k(?) a week then leave as a free agent, pocket the majority slice of any would-be £10-20m "transfer fee" for himself and get the best possible deal at ~28 years old for his last big contract in the Prem.

So glad he didn't pull out of united and decided to buy us instead. He has every possible advantage, he could buy naming rights to the stadium to give the cash injection they need to side step any PSR issues. Buy the right players and move up the league to get more cash and so on.

Yet he's crying they can't compete and he wants a handout to pay for a stadium. I hope they rot for the next 30 years with an attitude like that. People watch for the history and competitive nature of the competition, if they were to cease to exist no one would care after a while and people would just pick up a new team to support.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back