Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Would rather sign Dele on a free and have a punt he finds some form! His wage would be lower than what we would be paying Phillips who is pony!

Not really sure on the washed-up 'used to be great' players - when has it worked out for us ?

Even someone like Barry may have been past his best but he'd never lost his way like Phillips or Dele (or Gazza).

Not really sure on the washed-up 'used to be great' players - when has it worked out for us ?

Even someone like Barry may have been past his best but he'd never lost his way like Phillips or Dele (or Gazza).
Yeah i agree, neither scenario is ideal! Was more making the point i wouldnt touch Phillips with a barge pole!
I like the business we have done so far and all the younger players we are being linked with rather than players on high wages with little resale value. This is a much better way of doing things

Camara seems to be another who is best as an attacking midfielder rather than a defensive one. I’m not sure he’d be much of a direct replacement for Onana. He’s 5ft 8, doesn’t win many battles and is better going forward.

So apart from that Zat was right that he'd be an ideal replacement for Onana 😂

Lamine Camara is a possible Gana replacement option not an Onana one. Get him in now and let him learn from his Senegalese squad mate for a year. We will know we are well run and financially stable when like Brighton we can see the replacement for the guy we sell/retires in one window is the guy we bought a year earlier. Having to look around for a replacement in a mild panic every time we sell one still shows what we all know, that we have some way to go to get back on an even footing.

Isn't he more of an attacking mid?

At the moment but he can and has played deeper. I think he has the energy to be a better Gana. We forget that Gana is not in any way a traditional deep lying, intercepting and ball-distributing DM but rather a press all over the pitch and win the ball guy who just doesn’t do much with it when he has it. I think Camara can evolve to have some of Gana’s high energy pressing attributes whilst also being able to pick a pass. Per Transfermarkt his 31 league starts last year 21 were CM, 4 AM, 6 DM.

I think it depends on how you define Onanas' position for Everton.

He's a DM for Belgium, always has been one. But for everton he's been mostly used by Dyche as a left sided CM. In addition, Gana & Garner can be classed as having different types of defensive roles but, somewhat perplexingly, Onana not so much.

So by "Onana's replacement" I mean a central midfielder who is more forward than defensive thinking.

I think @buskwhi2 is correct about him being attack minded (hes played half a dozen club games in the attacking midfield area). While also @toffee66 is also correct that he may become a "Gana" type because he could become a high energy press machine.

But who knows whether he could otherwise simply be a forward thinking CM like i think. Not to mention hes played as many games at ACM as he has at DM so why not a DM that aims forwards?

FWIW when he plays for Senegal he's a CM.

Metz have just been relegated, it is quite literally the time to go for him. I'll go as far as to say that if we brought him in this window then theres no need for further CMs.

Ugochukwu has the 150day hamstring injury risk from last season. Has to be a loan with option, if he does well weve got a hole in the team again.

For me I say Lamine Camara of Metz is the one...they were relegated but he's class. Could probably get him for £10-15mil.

Senegal U20
U-20 Africa Cup of Nations: 2023[13]U-20 West B Zone Tournament: 2022[14]

Senegal
African Nations Championship: 2022[15]COSAFA Cup third place: 2022

Individual
U-20 Africa Cup of Nations Player of the Tournament: 2023[16]African Nations Championship Young Player of the group stages: 2022[17]African Nations Championship Team of the Tournament: 2022[18]

Get him in and we'll be raving about him just as we have been about Branthwaite...he's the perfect Onana replacement.
I think that’s already solved with Iroegbunam - he will be the Gana replacement.

Richardson much more similar to Onana in stature/style. Reminds me a bit of Abou Diaby (not a bad thing) but left footed.

https://sports.yahoo.com/leicester-...Uoy8CC-bCLOJLmoxg78eitZoZsaVZ3M1&guccounter=2

I think with Ndidi signing a new deal we should have a clear run.

I think that’s already solved with Iroegbunam - he will be the Gana replacement.

Richardson much more similar to Onana in stature/style. Reminds me a bit of Abou Diaby (not a bad thing) but left footed.

https://sports.yahoo.com/leicester-...Uoy8CC-bCLOJLmoxg78eitZoZsaVZ3M1&guccounter=2

I think with Ndidi signing a new deal we should have a clear run.

Couldn’t get in the Reins side. Doesn’t fill me with confidence that he’s going to be the dominant midfielder I’d hoped for from watching his YouTube vids

Couldn’t get in the Reins side. Doesn’t fill me with confidence that he’s going to be the dominant midfielder I’d hoped for from watching his YouTube vids
Lot of potential though, 6’6 and comfortable on the ball. Speaks fluent English too, maybe there’s question marks on his character which I know is something they go in depth on. (See attached convo I had in the past)

Attachments

• 22169A2B-5A7C-4E49-8AC5-9E39A9BDECBE.jpeg
    22169A2B-5A7C-4E49-8AC5-9E39A9BDECBE.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 1
CM: Gueye
CM: Garner Iroegbunam
AM: Doucoure, Ndiaye

If we buy no one else. If Dele agrees a deal then potentially Doucoure could also cover a CM spot (although not ideal). So unless there’s an academy player who can step up, then one more CM signing would be ideal.
We’re definitely short. Without seeing Iroegbubam play I can’t be convinced he’s anywhere at the level we need. If he’s at a similar level to Dobbin then he might not be.

Doucoure and Ndiaye are both better higher up the pitch. Leaves us with Gueye, who is getting on, and Garner. Definitely one, maybe two still needed, and that’s regardless of whether we sign Dele up

In pure cash perspective, I’m sure we could sign someone who can contribute as much as Onana did for 15-20mil. I’m not talking potential but even his biggest fans have to know he did nothing last season compared to Garner and Gana.

This would mean if Lille get 20%, we have 40m and should have half of it left after replacing him.

Im not doing the whole football manager thing and identifying who but I feel that’s reasonable.

CM: Gueye
CM: Garner Iroegbunam
AM: Doucoure, Ndiaye

If we buy no one else. If Dele agrees a deal then potentially Doucoure could also cover a CM spot (although not ideal). So unless there’s an academy player who can step up, then one more CM signing would be ideal.

Can’t wait for November when people start suggesting Holgate in midfield again.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.