Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

I think its too early to say that i'm not sure the club are pigeon holing themselves into only signing one type of player they'll just be looking for value in the market so it would just be a case of whether they think he offers it or not. In the last 12 months we've signed people like Chermiti Ndiaye and Iroegbunam but also Young Harrison and Danjuma I don't see how they would fit into the same model of recruitment other than them being affordable and seen as worth having by the people that matter.

Follow the money mate.

108m spent under thelwell on players 24 or under, 3m spent on players over the age of 25.

Also no player under thelwell recruited on over 100k PW, most substantially lower, Philips is on 150k pw.

Even think about the loan deals, only one we locked in an agreement on is the lad joing soon whose 24, we haven't bothered with the loans of the older players like danjuma or Harrison etc.

We very much have a model of not paying for players over 25

Follow the money mate.

108m spent under thelwell on players 24 or under, 3m spent on players over the age of 25.

Also no player under thelwell recruited on over 100k PW, most substantially lower, Philips is on 150k pw.

Even think about the loan deals, only one we locked in an agreement on is the lad joing soon whose 24, we haven't bothered with the loans of the older players like danjuma or Harrison etc.

I've only seen Phillips talked about as a loan so it would still fit in with that model anyway.

Understood, but if we could get Phillips on a loan for 1 year and have City pay a % of his wages and he is an upgrade on what we have I am unsure why this is not a workable deal for us.

Appreciate it is not the type of deal we should be doing, but as long as the bulk of our transfers are that young developing style and we can bring a bit of prem experience which is better than what we currently have and in a position which is desperately needed ie good DCM who can win back the ball and is comfortable in possession, I do not see a problem.

But the argument that he hasn't played well for 3 years whereas some people are happy to give Dele a go when he hasn't played well for over 6 years is where I am a little confused.

Problem with city is they don't really do discount deals mate, they know someone will be sulking to pay a fee to loan Philips and most if not all his wages.

Why would they offer to pay 50% of his wages (he's on 150k) and wave any loan fee for.

For example west ham paid 3m in January for less than half a season and covered all his 150k wages.

I've only seen Phillips talked about as a loan so it would still fit in with that model anyway.

Following what west ham paid it'd cost us around 12m for one year mate.

Given that loan fee was reduced heavily by City who initially demanded 7m for a half a seasons loan. So very unlikely for a full season they're gonna want less than 3m minimum.

And all of that payment comes out of whatever money we actually have available this season, can't be spread over a long contract like signing a player

Following what west ham paid it'd cost us around 12m for one year mate.

Given that loan fee was reduced heavily by City who initially demanded 7m for a half a seasons loan. So very unlikely for a full season they're gonna want less than 3m minimum.

And all of that payment comes out of whatever money we actually have available this season, can't be spread over a long contract like signing a player
You don't need to convince me whether it would be good or not I'm just saying I wouldn't rule it out because of some imaginary model thats all. If Thelwell and Dyche think its worth doing then i'm sure they'll try and do it and him being 28 instead of 26 won't bother them at all.

You don't need to convince me whether it would be good or not I'm just saying I wouldn't rule it out because of some imaginary model thats all. If Thelwell and Dyche think its worth doing then i'm sure they'll try and do it and him being 28 instead of 26 won't bother them at all.

Oh thing is mate I'm pretty sure we are doing a kinda risk cost analysis model on recruitment or a version thereof, if a player falls outside the parameters of that we simply wont do it.

Caveat

Both 25yo centr forwards we signed completely do not fit what otherwise looks a very very strict recruitment model, but I believe they where anomalies. Maupay was a desperation buy when DCL broke down with the window running out, Beto similarly was the only cf we could get with experience whose club would accept us not paying anything at all for the first year

If it was a few days left in the window and say Garner picked up a long term injury then yes I think we'd maybe do that type of deal but not at this point.

Would we not be able to loan him now we've signed the lad from Napoli. ? Genuine question as I've heard different things about how many loans you can have at any one time.
2 domestic and 2 none domestic I think are the rules. You can have 4 loan players. I think we will prob hold off on Phillips in case someone else crops up. If the Phillips deal was to be done it will prob be a week before kick off.

2 domestic and 2 none domestic I think are the rules. You can have 4 loan players. I think we will prob hold off on Phillips in case someone else crops up. If the Phillips deal was to be done it will prob be a week before kick off.
Thats what i thought. Then somebody last night said you can have 4 in a season but only 2 at any one time. I always thought it was 2 from home and 2 from abroad.

The main thing I'd say about Dyche that's clear is he demands the right kinda of attitude and work effort from everyone, and if you don't then you'll struggle to get games.

Not gonna say I hate that idea either as we've seen too many half arsed players over the years being out up with here.

It's more about attitude than it is about age (wasn't he starting McNeil at 19/20?), from memory Keane at 21 was starting for him as well - age adverse coaches sure as hell don't trust young centre backs typically.

The core of the team last season was built around

Pickford Tarkowski Branthwaite Mykolenko Garner Onana Gueye McNeil Harrison DCL

There’s a brilliant mixture in there of youth, players in their prime, and some experience.

We need a balanced squad with quality in each position, the right attitude and culture, and a mix of different age ranges. Branthwaite might not have developed into the player he is if he didn’t have Tarkowski next to him, Pickford behind him, and Mykolenko to one side. Put three less experienced players in those positions and maybe Branthwaite isn’t playing with the confidence and maturity he is now. Maybe Onana isn’t sold for 50 mill if he wasn’t rotated at times for the experience of Gueye and Garner.

I’ve seen enough bad squads at Everton that have been cobbled together with players who look like they’ve never seen each other before. For the first time in a while it feels there’s a culture of hard work in the team, a core of the squad to build on, and selection based on meritocracy and form not any other attributes.

Follow the money mate.

Another point about the wage structure Thelwell is trying to put in place:

Regardless of what % we would be paying and what % City would be, he’d still be taking home the same enormous wage, and would by a distance be the highest paid player in the dressing room.

Fine if he’s one of the best players, but if he stinks the place out you’ve got a lot of better / harder working players on a fraction of his wage raising an eyebrow. Not ideal for the structure you’re trying to implement.

Thats what i thought. Then somebody last night said you can have 4 in a season but only 2 at any one time. I always thought it was 2 from home and 2 from abroad.
I don’t think there is a limit of two on international loans. Forest had four international loans at once last season.

The PL rules only limit domestic loans to two. They don’t have any rule about international ones.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back