Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

The core of the team last season was built around

Pickford Tarkowski Branthwaite Mykolenko Garner Onana Gueye McNeil Harrison DCL

There’s a brilliant mixture in there of youth, players in their prime, and some experience.

We need a balanced squad with quality in each position, the right attitude and culture, and a mix of different age ranges. Branthwaite might not have developed into the player he is if he didn’t have Tarkowski next to him, Pickford behind him, and Mykolenko to one side. Put three less experienced players in those positions and maybe Branthwaite isn’t playing with the confidence and maturity he is now. Maybe Onana isn’t sold for 50 mill if he wasn’t rotated at times for the experience of Gueye and Garner.

I’ve seen enough bad squads at Everton that have been cobbled together with players who look like they’ve never seen each other before. For the first time in a while it feels there’s a culture of hard work in the team, a core of the squad to build on, and selection based on meritocracy and form not any other attributes.

Yeah it's just nice to see and it's really clear if you dig into the analytics side (given it's what my brother does over on RBM it's become something I've gotten into by proxy) that we are recruiting a very specific profile of player (trust me it's why I went all in that we we were after Lindstrom).

We are recruiting players who share a common set of basic fundamentals - (we will shift into a heavy pressing team is my prediction btw) but one thing is certain we are recruiting not based upon an interfering owner or backroom deals with certain favoured agents or on a manager liking a particular player, but based upon does a player's data analysis fit in with what we require.

It's refreshing to see and gives me real optimism about future recruitment.

Yeah it's just nice to see and it's really clear if you dig into the analytics side (given it's what my brother does over on RBM it's become something I've gotten into by proxy) that we are recruiting a very specific profile of player (trust me it's why I went all in that we we were after Lindstrom).

We are recruiting players who share a common set of basic fundamentals - (we will shift into a heavy pressing team is my prediction btw) but one thing is certain we are recruiting not based upon an interfering owner or backroom deals with certain favoured agents or on a manager liking a particular player, but based upon does a player's data analysis fit in with what we require.

It's refreshing to see and gives me real optimism about future recruitment.
I agree, for the first time in a long time there seems to be a plan. The squad is a bit light but it's far from the worst set of players we've had.

There’s a brilliant mixture in there of youth, players in their prime, and some experience.

We need a balanced squad with quality in each position, the right attitude and culture, and a mix of different age ranges. Branthwaite might not have developed into the player he is if he didn’t have Tarkowski next to him, Pickford behind him, and Mykolenko to one side. Put three less experienced players in those positions and maybe Branthwaite isn’t playing with the confidence and maturity he is now. Maybe Onana isn’t sold for 50 mill if he wasn’t rotated at times for the experience of Gueye and Garner.

I’ve seen enough bad squads at Everton that have been cobbled together with players who look like they’ve never seen each other before. For the first time in a while it feels there’s a culture of hard work in the team, a core of the squad to build on, and selection based on meritocracy and form not any other attributes.
Why did you leave out young and doucoure
Who both played over 30 games last season

Good shout btw on the mix of age and experience btw

Why did you leave out young and doucoure
Who both played over 30 games last season

Probably should have included Doucoure, genuine mistake. I don’t think Young is going to be the core of the squad going forward. This will probably be his last season. He’s the reserve left back and probably second or third choice right back. It just happens last season we had continuous injuries to Coleman Patterson and Mykolenko so he played far more often than anyone probably expected.

Looks like we want the option to play interchangeable forwards

For that we need options across the season

It’s mostly for the attacking players that you need substitutions

We need a number of similar play &
They’ll all play

I like that we're planning to have some further attacking players suited to play counter attacking football, a striker that could be clinical on a 1 vs 1 would be ideal as well with dcl being a possibility to depart as he his lacking in the skills to efficiently score on the break

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back