Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

I genuinely think we are not after Philips
Same here, papers need to fill spaces and we’ve just sold a CM so just link us to him.
It’s the same every window, we get linked to a new player every day when in reality Thelwell’s never heard of half of them.

I’ve not even seen any credible links to Gnonto in this window even though we had real interest in the last, just more clickbait.

Would see it as a thelwell move but not sure what the situation is has gone quiet the links of bov and luis.

Yup, I think the model atm is Dyche states what he needs and Thelwell is using analytics a huge amount to identify a certain type of player within our recruitment model and focusing in on them.

Bove very much fits our model, Philips on the other hand I'd say is the polar opposite - and why I feel it's very much a red top rag story nothing more.

The main guts to the story seems to be that Dyche said good stuff about him years ago and wanted him at Burnley at one point

Same here, papers need to fill spaces and we’ve just sold a CM so just link us to him.
It’s the same every window, we get linked to a new player every day when in reality Thelwell’s never heard of half of them.

I’ve not even seen any credible links to Gnonto in this window even though we had real interest in the last, just more clickbait.

Yeah Gnoto I'm completely unsure if we have interest or not, in theory he fits certain analysis of what we are after, in others he doesn't (and think the going on strike thing would have rang some alarm bells over his character)

Yeah Gnoto I'm completely unsure if we have interest or not, in theory he fits certain analysis of what we are after, in others he doesn't (and think the going on strike thing would have rang some alarm bells over his character)
Gnonto interest is genuine and Bobble tweeted last week we were in talks. Leeds a pain to deal with as always but think discussions are still ongoing.

Gnonto interest is genuine and Bobble tweeted last week we were in talks. Leeds a pain to deal with as always but think discussions are still ongoing.
As I said mate I'm personally unsure, he does profile very well and hit a lot of what we are obviously recruiting based on analytics.

So wouldn't shock me at all if we are either.

Kalvin Phillips would be an atrocious signing.

Why sign a player on a very obvious downward trend in the hopes of fixing them over a player on an upwards trend?
I just don’t see any version of signing Phillips that makes sense. Permanent or loan with obligation would be suicidal business, you can’t sign a player of his age for actual money and big wages when he’s shown now signs of good football for two years.

We’ll want a loan - either dry or with option- but even if City OK it I don’t see it making sense. A dry loan even if you do turn him round it’s a shop window for other clubs so no upside. So only a loan with option is best but even then if he goes well by the time comes to trigger the option he’s nearly 30 and will want a 3/4 year deal, there’s no guarantee his performance won’t drop off again.

The whole thing is just a massive swerve.

I just don’t see any version of signing Phillips that makes sense. Permanent or loan with obligation would be suicidal business, you can’t sign a player of his age for actual money and big wages when he’s shown now signs of good football for two years.

We’ll want a loan - either dry or with option- but even if City OK it I don’t see it making sense. A dry loan even if you do turn him round it’s a shop window for other clubs so no upside. So only a loan with option is best but even then if he goes well by the time comes to trigger the option he’s nearly 30 and will want a 3/4 year deal, there’s no guarantee his performance won’t drop off again.

You can kind of say that about any transfer though if you're looking out for the downsides. I'm not bothered about Phillips either way but I don't agree that theres no potential upside to it there definitely is.

Which is why I'm sure it's a combo of lazy journalism, guesswork by crap journos and maybe field both by his agent and in Cities end to drum up some interest from other clubs

But you would be OK with us giving Dele another contract?

Make it make sense.....

You can kind of say that about any transfer though if you're looking out for the downsides. I'm not bothered about Phillips either way but I don't agree that theres no potential upside to it there definitely is.

He 100% doesn't fit our model of recruitment though mate, very much seems like the type we went for 3+ years ago

If Dele was given a contract, you can bet it'll be a one year deal on low wages, we won't be giving a multi year deal on anything remotely like his spurs wages
Understood, but if we could get Phillips on a loan for 1 year and have City pay a % of his wages and he is an upgrade on what we have I am unsure why this is not a workable deal for us.

Appreciate it is not the type of deal we should be doing, but as long as the bulk of our transfers are that young developing style and we can bring a bit of prem experience which is better than what we currently have and in a position which is desperately needed ie good DCM who can win back the ball and is comfortable in possession, I do not see a problem.

But the argument that he hasn't played well for 3 years whereas some people are happy to give Dele a go when he hasn't played well for over 6 years is where I am a little confused.

He 100% doesn't fit our model of recruitment though mate, very much seems like the type we went for 3+ years ago
I think its too early to say that i'm not sure the club are pigeon holing themselves into only signing one type of player they'll just be looking for value in the market so it would just be a case of whether they think he offers it or not. In the last 12 months we've signed people like Chermiti Ndiaye and Iroegbunam but also Young Harrison and Danjuma I don't see how they would fit into the same model of recruitment other than them being affordable and seen as worth having by the people that matter.

But you would be OK with us giving Dele another contract?

Make it make sense.....
I’m not really sure how I feel about Dele’s contract. I don’t think I’ve said he should be given one.

It’s different economic circumstances and a different risk / reward calculation plus he’s in the building for a more complete assessment so it’s hard to compare the two.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back