Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

I don't mind giving people that chance.

The worry with Phillips is he's had 6 months of Moyes and got nowhere. Say what you want on Moyes, but he would normally turn around those sort of players and he got nowhere that level. That's the red flag for me.
I think the chances of him recovering both mentally and physically from 18 months without any football and then being able to find form, all within the period of 26 Jan to 19 May were pretty much zero.

Clearly he didn't help himself getting sent off.

To me, Kalvin Phillips is a top player (relative to where we are) and one that just 18 months ago would have been seen as a massive coup by many.

I fully endorse the view that he needs to be here pronto, so he can have a full preseason with us.

Hope we get the deal done asap. We've plenty more business to do.

Surely IF we were after Phillips he’d be here by now. Makes no sense him going off to the US for holiday with City.

Looks like he played first half against Celtic in which they went 3-1down.

Kalvin Phillips

Started the game by playing Ortega into trouble and was replaced at half-time having allowed Celtic to run through the midfield with ease. Often far to high up, leaving plenty of space in the position he should be in. 4/10

None of this looks like a positive in terms of us signing him.

So, welcome to Everton, Kalvin.

I think the chances of him recovering both mentally and physically from 18 months without any football and then being able to find form, all within the period of 26 Jan to 19 May were pretty much zero.

Clearly he didn't help himself getting sent off.

To me, Kalvin Phillips is a top player (relative to where we are) and one that just 18 months ago would have been seen as a massive coup by many.

I fully endorse the view that he needs to be here pronto, so he can have a full preseason with us.

Hope we get the deal done asap. We've plenty more business to do.

Thing is mate you say 'is' a top player, it should be 'was', as frankly for two years now he's been absolutely dreadful.

Yeah a 26yo Philips at the top of his form would have been a massive coup, a soon to be 29yo Philips on 150k per week and who hasn't played well for two years certainly isn't a coup.

Two years is a long time in football, so is the effect of earning 150k per week to essentially have a front row seat in the city stadium on a player's motivation to go out and put the dedication in to get back to close to the player he was.

Massive swerve, why, because I've heard this conversation and line of argument countless times over the years, Dele, Schneiderlein, Walcott, Rooney, Delph, Cleverly, Lennon.

And many many more, all players who've lost their x,y,z (confidence, grew stale at the club - needs a fresh challenge, move didn't work out etc) all who by and large were just players who had deteriorated and/or lost permanently lost the desire to put the work in that they had to make it in the first place.

Philips is a carbon copy of one of our biggest problems as a club, being a place washed up players can get one last big payday

Thing is mate you say 'is' a top player, it should be 'was', as frankly for two years now he's been absolutely dreadful.

Yeah a 26yo Philips at the top of his form would have been a massive coup, a soon to be 29yo Philips on 150k per week and who hasn't played well for two years certainly isn't a coup.

Two years is a long time in football, so is the effect of earning 150k per week to essentially have a front row seat in the city stadium on a player's motivation to go out and put the dedication in to get back to close to the player he was.

Massive swerve, why, because I've heard this conversation and line of argument countless times over the years, Dele, Schneiderlein, Walcott, Rooney, Delph, Cleverly, Lennon.

And many many more, all players who've lost their x,y,z (confidence, grew stale at the club - needs a fresh challenge, move didn't work out etc) all who by and large were just players who had deteriorated and/or lost permanently lost the desire to put the work in that they had to make it in the first place.

Philips is a carbon copy of one of our biggest problems as a club, being a place washed up players can get one last big payday

I'm with you that we've spent tons of money and have had very little return. Which I guess is why the deal has to be a good deal which incentivises all parties.

There have been some success stories too though, where we've given players opportunities and they've given us good service. Gareth Barry and Idrissa Gueye spring to mind immediately.

I guess it comes down to the impression you have, and that's not to criticise yours or hoist my opinion higher than it should be.

I see Phillips as a lad who's been playing for the wrong club. He needs space to use his energy without the ball and then the options to hit longer passes when he has it. He's spent 18 months, when offered the few minutes he's had, camped outside the opponents box passing it 5 yards.

If you see a player that's actively lost motivation and is washed up, I absolutely see that it's not a good deal. I just don't I guess.

A loan suits everyone I think.

Gareth Barry?

I'm with you that we've spent tons of money and have had very little return. Which I guess is why the deal has to be a good deal which incentivises all parties.

There have been some success stories too though, where we've given players opportunities and they've given us good service. Gareth Barry and Idrissa Gueye spring to mind immediately.

I guess it comes down to the impression you have, and that's not to criticise yours or hoist my opinion higher than it should be.

I see Phillips as a lad who's been playing for the wrong club. He needs space to use his energy without the ball and then the options to hit longer passes when he has it. He's spent 18 months, when offered the few minutes he's had, camped outside the opponents box passing it 5 yards.

If you see a player that's actively lost motivation and is washed up, I absolutely see that it's not a good deal. I just don't I guess.

A loan suits everyone I think.

I get your point mate, but both Gueye and Barry were still featuring for their teams and the decision was made to replace them with younger players - and both right up till they left were playing well at PSG and City (they were still valued squad players) both moved clearly as they wanted to play more rather than be a squad player in a diminishing role.

Philips just doesn't seem to have any drive now - which is what his game was all about. Think you still have that romanticism I lost over players coming good again late on in their careers.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back