Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

I caught a bit of talkSh*t in the office and they had that Rat Nolan talking about his loan at West Ham, and he said he's a top pro, a good lad and that lack of game time really hit him last season. He blamed the coaching team too because they threw him straight into games without giving him a chance to build up to it.
He also said he found the move down south hard. His wife had just had a kid.
That's interesting, I didn't know that either.

Ultimately, if he signs, he will need to prove he's not lost the fire and the reasons you mention (and others) have caused this slump.

I really hope he's still got it. Under Bielsa he was everything I'd want in an Everton central midfield player in our current state.

I think the chances of him recovering both mentally and physically from 18 months without any football and then being able to find form, all within the period of 26 Jan to 19 May were pretty much zero.

Clearly he didn't help himself getting sent off.

To me, Kalvin Phillips is a top player (relative to where we are) and one that just 18 months ago would have been seen as a massive coup by many.

I fully endorse the view that he needs to be here pronto, so he can have a full preseason with us.

Hope we get the deal done asap. We've plenty more business to do.

There’s a big difference between the football City and Arsenal play and the football basically anyone else in the league plays.

Phillips clearly doesn’t suit City’s style of play but there’s a reason they paid the big money for him. Could he re-find his form in a team where most of the time he’ll be looking forward coming onto the ball (as he was at Leeds)?

The wages are a massive stumbling block but if City took a hair cut on them then a one year loan wouldn’t be the worst deal in the world. If he can’t recapture that form then it’s nothing major lost, if he does then we’d potentially have a very decent player.

There’s a big difference between the football City and Arsenal play and the football basically anyone else in the league plays.

Phillips clearly doesn’t suit City’s style of play but there’s a reason they paid the big money for him. Could he re-find his form in a team where most of the time he’ll be looking forward coming onto the ball (as he was at Leeds)?

The wages are a massive stumbling block but if City took a hair cut on them then a one year loan wouldn’t be the worst deal in the world. If he can’t recapture that form then it’s nothing major lost, if he does then we’d potentially have a very decent player.

didn't do much for him at west ham

You say its nothing major lost, I disagree, having a useless CM in the squad for a full season is a major loss.

We are talking about a player whos last bit of form was about 3 years ago....we already have one of them with a terrible injury record.

Getting Phillips has far too many risks, even on his day he aint all that hes decent like but that about it...............

You say its nothing major lost, I disagree, having a useless CM in the squad for a full season is a major loss.

You take that risk with any player. Literally any signing we could say ‘but what if he’s completely useless’. We are in the market of having to take a risk. It’s weighing the risk that he capture his old form v the risk he won’t. People are acting like it’s a definite that he’ll never play again like he did 3 seasons ago. Its not. The risk is minimal if he’s on loan.

We bought Schneiderlin Klaasen Gomes Gbamin Allan Doucoure all for big money. The first two stank, the next two got crocked, Allan lost his legs, and only Doucoure has returned anything for us. I know some people have brilliant hindsight on here but all these players at the time either fell into the category of proven PL quality, proven at CL level for big European teams, or promising young player with best years ahead. We got nothing from them except Doucoure.

We’re talking about a loan for Phillips and people are acting as though we’re spending 20 mill on a 35 year old. It’s a far better approach than what we’ve done previously.

You take that risk with any player. Literally any signing we could say ‘but what if he’s completely useless’. We are in the market of having to take a risk. It’s weighing the risk that he capture his old form v the risk he won’t. People are acting like it’s a definite that he’ll never play again like he did 3 seasons ago. Its not. The risk is minimal if he’s on loan.

We bought Schneiderlin Klaasen Gomes Gbamin Allan Doucoure all for big money. The first two stank, the next two got crocked, Allan lost his legs, and only Doucoure has returned anything for us. I know some people have brilliant hindsight on here but all these players at the time either fell into the category of proven PL quality, proven at CL level for big European teams, or promising young player with best years ahead. We got nothing from them except Doucoure.

We’re talking about a loan for Phillips and people are acting as though we’re spending 20 mill on a 35 year old. It’s a far better approach than what we’ve done previously.
Agreed.

But Phillips is not zero risk, as you yourself have just pointed out above.

For those of you that haven't met him, I can now reveal what @maccavennie looks like.

God bless.

1000017482.webp

We are talking about a player whos last bit of form was about 3 years ago....we already have one of them with a terrible injury record.

Getting Phillips has far too many risks, even on his day he aint all that hes decent like but that about it...............

Who do you think we’d be able to loan who is available, might want to come to Everton, is guaranteed to be better than ‘he’s decent’, and is in form without any injury problems?

We are not shopping in even a mid tier supermarket here. We’re looking for stuff in the reduced section, lo and behold some of it is not going to be in the best shape.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back