Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Where did I say he was zero risk? I’ve just said every signing is a risk.

I’m not too bothered either way if we get him or not but I don’t know why some people are acting like it’s a tragedy for the club.

Us paying over 100 mill on midfielders who deliver nothing is a major loss to this club. Paying Michael Keane and allowing him on the football pitch is a major loss to this club. Everton loaning Kalvin Phillips who MAY turn out to not be very good is not a major loss, unless our understanding of what the word major means is different. We’ve just had Gomes and Dele both sat on our treatment table earning god knows what per week and it didn’t affect whether we stayed up or not last season.
Our understanding is different.

You seem to be focusing on money spent.

In that case, Phillips isnt a major loss to loan him for a season, if he flops, we ship him back to City and try again next summer.

But from a football POV, if he flops, we are "stuck" with a rubbish player with no other midfield options for the rest of the season, unless we beg City to take him back in Jan.

I agree, every signing is a risk, but would you agree that a player who last had a good game 3 years ago is a bigger risk than somebody who played well last season?

Even a loan would cost about 3-4mil i guess, its also highly possible he might not start 10-15 games for us.

There is a big world out there we can explore who we could buy for 5-10mil at an age with potential.

On his day in form he would be a good addition, but them days are long gone, better he goes and proves himself again somewhere else.

Too much risk in this for me.
We're signing some players like that though aren't we so I don't think it would be that strange if they decided to go for a bit more experience with Phillips. Like @Saint Domingo has said I'm not bothered either way I wouldn't say I want us to sign him really but I don't see it as being as bad as a lot of people are saying.

Really unsure about Phillips. We are already taking a chance on Dele (again) but at less of a cost this time. Do we really want to take another risk on Phillips. The upside is potentially big but he has been GASH for 18 months. Would he just be another Delph or Schneiderlin.

We're signing some players like that though aren't we so I don't think it would be that strange if they decided to go for a bit more experience with Phillips. Like @Saint Domingo has said I'm not bothered either way I wouldn't say I want us to sign him really but I don't see it as being as bad as a lot of people are saying.
I just think there is more risk than reward and we are no position to playing that game right now, just my opinion mate

I just think there is more risk than reward and we are no position to playing that game right now, just my opinion mate
I suppose it depends what other options we have.

Kalvin Phillips was/is clearly talented, he did enough to get a move to the best team in the world.

But that was a long time ago now, since then he seems to have gone backwards.

So if its Phillips or nobody, then sure, get Phillips in.

No I understand you mate and I agree i just mean anyone we're signing for 5 mil is going to be a massive risk aren't they even kids who've never played are going for more than that so if thats the budget then they're going to be taking a risk whoever its on I think thats just the way it is with the situation at the club its a bit like the Moyes days again you just hope for more Artetas and Pienaars and less Drenthes and Van der Meydes.

I suppose it depends what other options we have.

Kalvin Phillips was/is clearly talented, he did enough to get a move to the best team in the world.

But that was a long time ago now, since then he seems to have gone backwards.

So if its Phillips or nobody, then sure, get Phillips in.
This and the injury record is not something we should be gambling on. Hes hasnt played for almost 3 years, il be amazed if he gets anywhere near what he was to get his big move.

Still a no from me

Really unsure about Phillips. We are already taking a chance on Dele (again) but at less of a cost this time. Do we really want to take another risk on Phillips. The upside is potentially big but he has been GASH for 18 months. Would he just be another Delph or Schneiderlin.

hes been gash far longer than 18 months, he should go to the championship to see if he has anything left (he doesn't).

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back