Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

We surely have to bring in more CBs to do it though? Like he clearly doesn't fancy Holgate, and Keane looks to be moving on. We would likely need 3 CBs, unless he's going to use Coleman/Mykolenko as CBs in a 3, which I'm not convinced about.
3?! No chance. We'll keep Keane so we can bring him on up front in the FA cup quarters to score a screamer. Holgate needs to move on as he's an own goal waiting to happen.

We'll sign one CB (probably one than can cover RB+/LB) and then hope that one of Welch/Campbell/Onyango can make the step up to the first team squad

Our understanding is different.

You seem to be focusing on money spent.

In that case, Phillips isnt a major loss to loan him for a season, if he flops, we ship him back to City and try again next summer.

But from a football POV, if he flops, we are "stuck" with a rubbish player with no other midfield options for the rest of the season, unless we beg City to take him back in Jan.

I agree, every signing is a risk, but would you agree that a player who last had a good game 3 years ago is a bigger risk than somebody who played well last season?

The problem is anyone who played well last season and doesn’t have a bad injury record probably isn’t available to us on loan. Its the same issue with the Lindstrom lad, if he’d have played well for Napoli we wouldn’t have a prayer of loaning him, the only reason we can is because he’s out of form and we’re hoping for a turnaround situation.

Young players who don’t have bad injury records, are in form, and have decent pedigree, are either not in our budget, or don’t want to play for Everton. So instead we’re taking risks on

Iroegbunam - hasn’t played much, might not make it at this level

Lindstrom - poor last season didn’t play much but has been good in past

Gnonto - poor last season but has been good before

NDiaye - poor last season but has been good before

Harrison - weird loan agreement allows us to loan a player we wouldn’t have been able to afford

Phillips would just be another flavour of risk for us if we did take him (I’m not even convinced we will the) . Can he recreate the form of a few seasons ago if he’s fit confident and playing regularly in a system that suits him. That’s the gamble we’re taking.

It’s the same gamble on all the signings we’ve made this summer though. Apart from Harrison we’ve got no idea if they’ll all perform or flop.

The problem is anyone who played well last season and doesn’t have a bad injury record probably isn’t available to us on loan. Its the same issue with the Lindstrom lad, if he’d have played well for Napoli we wouldn’t have a prayer of loaning him, the only reason we can is because he’s out of form and we’re hoping for a turnaround situation.

Young players who don’t have bad injury records, are in form, and have decent pedigree, are either not in our budget, or don’t want to play for Everton. So instead we’re taking risks on

Harrison - weird loan agreement allows us to loan a player we wouldn’t have been able to afford

Phillips would just be another flavour of risk for us if we did take him (I’m not even convinced we will the) . Can he recreate the form of a few seasons ago if he’s fit confident and playing regularly in a system that suits him. That’s the gamble we’re taking.

It’s the same gamble on all the signings we’ve made this summer though. Apart from Harrison we’ve got no idea if they’ll all perform or flop.
that's just where we are currently - bc of our reputation and financial instability, we're stuck taking risks instead of shelling out for proven players. and even if we wanted to shell out, we're not necessarily the most desired destination. hoping a lot changes this season, would be nice to see off Goodison with some success

Most of Moyes bargain buys were players out of form or who had lost their way and most of them never turned out that shoddy.

I don’t disagree at all. But with the exception of Onana, we aren’t replacing players as much as creating possible solutions to gaps in our tactics.

We have been missing pace (Gnoto) and somebody to effectively link with a striker (Ndiaye, Lindstrom).

We are also missing a holding midfielder who can complete passes in transition. I think Phillips could be that. I don’t think we need him to be the world beater City thought they were buying (but we hope he could be for us). We just need him to do a job. It’s a risk, but we’re broke and it’s relatively inexpensive on the front end.

If we want an alternative to the low block and hoof it tactics, we need an effective passer in transition.

Iroegbunam is the question for me. I have no idea if he’s wanted as a starter or as depth with some potential to be a starter later.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back