Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Generating power through a ball is all about timing.

Scholes was the same. Minimal backlift, hitting it off the meat of the foot.

You can have the lightest or heaviest foot in the world, but if you hit a ball correctly it'll fly off the foot like crap off a shovel.

Are you honestly reading my post and thinking I’m talking about the actual weight of peoples feet. Eff my life.

Are you honestly reading my post and thinking I’m talking about the actual weight of peoples feet. Eff my life.
No, I'm reading something that simply ignores the well known reason as to why a ball is struck cleanly and true - which we all know is about timing.

The introduction of extraneous terms is the issue here.

I suspect the "heavy" foot might have something to do with strength in and around the ankle, i.e., being able to hold the position of the foot and not losing power from the leg through any give as they make the strike.

I can’t really describe it any other way than that. It’s the way certain players connect with a football. Generate power where they shouldn’t really be able to. A bit like Tom Huddlestone or Szoboszlai at them lot. Think @Eggs knows what I mean.

….yep, i have always described it as ‘hitting a heavy shot/ball’. They can catch goalkeepers out with the power they strike a football, I’d put Harry Kane in that bracket, short backlift, he can strike a ball from distance that goalkeepers struggle to get in position for.

I was at Liverpool and played and trained with Jimmy Case, he was the best striker of a football I’ve ever seen. He generated amazing velocity but when you look at his body shape when he strikes his whole body is virtually over the ball. It’s all natural.

Surprisingly, some professionals are actually poor strikers of a football and we’ve had a few at Everton recently. I’d put Onana and Gueye in that category.

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back