Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

….yep, i have always described it as ‘hitting a heavy shot/ball’. They can catch goalkeepers out with the power they strike a football, I’d put Harry Kane in that bracket, short backlift, he can strike a ball from distance that goalkeepers struggle to get in position for.

I was at Liverpool and played and trained with Jimmy Case, he was the best striker of a football I’ve ever seen. He generated amazing velocity but when you look at his body shape when he strikes his whole body is virtually over the ball. It’s all natural.
When striking a shot on goal, especially a penalty, KEEP THE KNEE OVER THE BALL. The amount of shots blazed over the bar including from penalties because of leaning back as players strike, is incredible at professional level. If a skilful player is hitting a long pass to decisively cut open a defence, that is a different matter! :cool:

Hopefully we’re starting to see some depth in the squad. A lot of matches last season we had a lot of dead wood sitting on the bench. Hopefully these new signings allow for proper subs, I’m hoping this was the reason for dyches stubbornness to sub. Still need another cm, cb and full back to feel comfortable.

….yep, i have always described it as ‘hitting a heavy shot/ball’. They can catch goalkeepers out with the power they strike a football, I’d put Harry Kane in that bracket, short backlift, he can strike a ball from distance that goalkeepers struggle to get in position for.

I was at Liverpool and played and trained with Jimmy Case, he was the best striker of a football I’ve ever seen. He generated amazing velocity but when you look at his body shape when he strikes his whole body is virtually over the ball. It’s all natural.

Surprisingly, some professionals are actually poor strikers of a football and we’ve had a few at Everton recently. I’d put Onana and Gueye in that category.
Could be wrong but apart from the odd worldie I always remember Leon Osman being quite a bad striker of a ball

When striking a shot on goal, especially a penalty, KEEP THE KNEE OVER THE BALL. The amount of shots blazed over the bar including from penalties because of leaning back as players strike, is incredible at professional level. If a skilful player is hitting a long pass to decisively cut open a defence, that is a different matter! :cool:
Exactly, strike it correctly and the chances of a deflected goal increase.

That and some players were just born with a condition known as ‘wedge toe’

I really really hope so, his are one of the few wages now which stick out and scream the pre thelwell era. Holgate and Keane's both do also.

I'm in 2 minds, he scored some big goals for us and can has brilliant games.

His size and power is important to how was play....but also his lack of "ability" on the ball holds us back at times.

I'm in 2 minds, he scored some big goals for us and can has brilliant games.

His size and power is important to how was play....but also his lack of "ability" on the ball holds us back at times.

Been an important player for us at periods mate, and certainly gives his all every time in the shirt.

But he's not a number 10 and it shows as his link up play is terrible, and he's not someone who I want playing cm as he commits way too many clumsy challenges and isn't positionally reliable.

He's also now 31 and second half if the season after his injury looked nowhere near the player he was pre injury, which with the way he plays all out and it being a hammy is a worry.

Surprisingly, some professionals are actually poor strikers of a football and we’ve had a few at Everton recently. I’d put Onana and Gueye in that category.

It's 100% technique to where you don't need to be doing leg day every day to get power.

Standing foot just in front of the ball, follow through with the kick. Where you strike the ball and what part of the foot will determine the trajectory but you'll get significant more power without pure force.

It's hard to consistently do in a game at pace. The best are snap shots when they have little room but all technique (like Kane).

Your Gana's etc will have the technique (they're professionals) but it won't be anything they're good at especially in a game.

And we've all seen Osman and Gana hit a 20 yarder before

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back