Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Yes I agree our problem has been not finding value for money spending 20 mil on players is fine as long as they're worth it our problem has been too many haven't been its not the theory thats the problem its the execution. There are different levels with in that too though aswell like Iwobi wasn't great but he played about 150 games and we got most of our money back and Keane has played over 200 games they weren't good signings but they're in a different bracket to some of the others who were just money down the drain not all signings will turn out to be worth double what you pay for them but if you get decent service out of them its not too bad.

Yeah the ballpark figure is aiming initially to get a 50/50 split on ones that work to ones that don't. We are definitely batting way below that average which over time creates a huge problem (which I think we are only just emerging from now)

Another factor is the number of managers we churned through as well and the obligatory bringing in if a few of the players they wanted - then MD after changes and player isn't in the new ones plans - rinse repeat.

On Iwobi and Keane I agree, they haven't been absolute disasters but just poor value for the money spent.

The others seem to fall into paying a premium to take a teams 'best player' (Sigurdson ) simply overpaying to a ridiculous extent (Bolasie, Tosun etc) or picking up late twenties cast offs from big sides (Walcott, Schneiderlein)

I think most teams only do it as a side hustle not as the main way their transfer business gets done because the hit rate obviously isn't going to be fantastic. 20% of our transfers would probably be about right long term I think. Signing youngish players who can get better is a bit different like I said in the bracket up maybe like Chermiti or Iroegbunam we should focus on that more than we have done in the past but the ones for a couple of mil are just taking a speculative dive in and a lot of them won't work out it can't be the main MO.
I think we might be saying similar things and are maybe misunderstanding each other. For me £9m for Tim and £15m on Chermiti are at the upper limit of what we should be paying for development targets. I also think we should be signing more players for development than 20% of our total outlay. It could be riskier than our current strategy but, I would argue at least, that our strategy of signing establishment players has its own risks, lots of our signings have been failures, the difference being that these sort of signings cost us a lot, and I mean a lot a lot, with multi-year high wage contracts. It has to be a blend, obviously, but I would skew more towards younger, promising players. Accepting that there will be some waste in that process.

I think we might be saying similar things and are maybe misunderstanding each other. For me £9m for Tim and £15m on Chermiti are at the upper limit of what we should be paying for development targets. I also think we should be signing more players for development than 20% of our total outlay. It could be riskier than our current strategy but, I would argue at least, that our strategy of signing establishment players has its own risks, lots of our signings have been failures, the difference being that these sort of signings cost us a lot, and I mean a lot a lot, with multi-year high wage contracts. It has to be a blend, obviously, but I would skew more towards younger, promising players. Accepting that there will be some waste in that process.
No I understand what you're saying and I agree with you my only point really was that you originally mentioned players costing about 3 mil and I don't really think thats where you're going to get value like you may pick up the odd one who has slipped through the net somewhere but they are going to be few and far between I wouldn't focus on that market because its like finding a needle in a haystack its the players in the bracket you've mentioned there that I think can be utilised more. I think sometimes its easy to say oh he only cost 3 mil 2 years ago we should have signed him then but we're not taking into account that they might well not have progressed as well if they'd moved here at that point its much easier for a teenager to develop playing in Holland for example than it is in the premier league.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back