Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Here he is ;)

There are 5 main reasons I want us to sign him:

1: Age of course, only 22 and as a backup its a great age especially as a Swiss international (ignore Senderos!)

2: Has the ability to play at CB & RB which is actually the ideal profile for a RB in a Dyche team. For the long term, he also looks pretty dynamic on youtube so may well adapt to playing in a more attacking system.

3: Was a former teammate of Gnonto who i hope we sign -- if we were to bring in both players then it may be they benefit on amd off the pitch

4: Highly rated in Switzerland and by the Montpellier fans I believe. Looks to be the signing most want us to make before a player has that 'breakout' season and is valued at £20mil+

5: Montpellier signed him for free so may be willing to sell to us at below €10mil.
Yeah if Branthwaite does stay I think someone a bit more versatile like Omeragic makes more sense than O'Brien this summer.

We do it occasionally, maybe 10-20% of our transfers are like that. Most of our deals are for big-ish money and the expectation is that those signed will go straight into the first team. I get why we've done that, our first team was and is relatively low quality so we need players to move the dial. However, at some point we need to move to a position where we sign one or two players a season that go straight into the team and a handful that we look to develop or sell on. It's the only way we make a real fist of steady progress on the pitch. It's what all the successful teams do, even the petrostate clubs are doing that now. We can't be perpetually in a state of crisis. It's exhausting!

It appears as though we're going through a complete squad rebuild at the moment.

Pickford
Keane
Holgate
Coleman
Gana
Doucoure
DCL

They are the players who came in a long time before Thelwell (Mykolenko & Patterson the window before).

Next summer its quite possible all but Pickford will be moved on.

I suspect and hope that with the new stadium and hopefully a new owner, the squad rebuild is somewhat complete next summer. Then the club aims for a couple of signings per window rather than spreading funds over numerous positions.

Thats exactly what we do though isn't it like in the current squad Coleman Holgate Branthwaite and Calvert Lewin Virginia are all like that while others haven't worked out here like Nkounkou and Crellin I don't think its that market we struggle with tbh its more the level up from that.

I think our biggest struggles has been spending serious money mate, we seem to always blow it.

Top of my head the only big money transfers we've made that worked out really well were Pickford, Richy and Lukaku.

So so many we did turned into disasters, just briefly stick up a list of all our transfers over 20m, of the entire lot only 6 could be called big successes - the three I listed above and Onana, Fellaini and Digne.

Of the rest maybe 2 can be described as overall 'ok' Doucoure, Mykolenko

And the jury is out but not looking good on Beto.

That gives 14 of the 23 which have been unbridled failures.
Sigurdson, Iwobi, Mina, Keane, Bolasie, Kean, Godfrey, Klassen, Gbamin, Gomes, Allan, Schneiderlein, Walcott, Tosun.

I think from memory 8 of those 14 ran there contracts down as they were pretty much unsellable they where that bad as well. We got amazingly lucky with Kean that Juve made an absolutely brain dead decision to buy him back. Of the rest we took a significant hit on moving them on.

Here he is ;)

There are 5 main reasons I want us to sign him:

1: Age of course, only 22 and as a backup its a great age especially as a Swiss international (ignore Senderos!)

2: Has the ability to play at CB & RB which is actually the ideal profile for a RB in a Dyche team. For the long term, he also looks pretty dynamic on youtube so may well adapt to playing in a more attacking system.

3: Was a former teammate of Gnonto who i hope we sign -- if we were to bring in both players then it may be they benefit on amd off the pitch

4: Highly rated in Switzerland and by the Montpellier fans I believe. Looks to be the signing most want us to make before a player has that 'breakout' season and is valued at £20mil+

5: Montpellier signed him for free so may be willing to sell to us at below €10mil.

Yeah that's the lad, and yup he's very much a fan favourite at Montpellier, may have even been there player of the season last year (think he was anyway)

Yeah if Branthwaite does stay I think someone a bit more versatile like Omeragic makes more sense than O'Brien this summer.

Obviously not many of us will have seen either player aside from highlights.

I'd like O'Brien to sign because if he is a rock in defence then we have our 3rd choice centre back which removes the risk of Keane & Holgate.

Secondly, if hes anything like Branthwaite performance wise then we could land a big fee in 12months time if we were inclined to sell...or of course see him as the Tarkowski successor.

As for Omeragic I see him as more of a RB signing. Thats because Dyche has his full backs tucking in so more suited to a RB/CB hybrid.

Lets not forget that O'Brien is only 11months older than Branthwaite & Omeragic is still 22. Bringing both in now gives them time to adapt over the season and goes a long way to replacing players that will surely leave at the end of the season: Keane, Holgate, Coleman, Young.

Becir Omeragic (20 years old, FC Zürich)

Perhaps the most prepared and most coveted on the list, Becir Omeragic has been putting up good performances and impressing coaching staff, fans and scouts alike.

Having made his debut for the Swiss national team at 18 years of age in October 2020 and earned a call-up for the European Championships, he has stood out thanks to his impressive defensive skills, his ball control and quality of passing.

Such is his technical quality that Omeragic has often played at right back where he has the freedom to push forward and help in the construction of plays in more advanced areas.

He has been evolving in attributes that have negatively affected his performance such as positioning, tracking back and lack of balance in physical duels, but he is already one of the great defensive talents of Switzerland.

A transfer to a bigger club is a matter of when, not if, despite the fact that he has missed the past month due to a meniscal injury. Nevertheless, he has played a leading role for FC Zurich who have ended a 13-year title drought, earning interest from Milan, Lazio and other Serie A clubs.

The Rossoneri have been following him since 2019, and Omeragic even went to the San Siro at the end of last year to watch Milan play. If he can recover from his season-ending injury, it’ll surely only be a matter of time before the 20-year-old, whose contract expires in 2023, earns a big move.

From breaking the lines 2 years ago mate

I think our biggest struggles has been spending serious money mate, we seem to always blow it.

Top of my head the only big money transfers we've made that worked out really well were Pickford, Richy and Lukaku.

So so many we did turned into disasters, just briefly stick up a list of all our transfers over 20m, of the entire lot only 6 could be called big successes - the three I listed above and Onana, Fellaini and Digne.

Of the rest maybe 2 can be described as overall 'ok' Doucoure, Mykolenko

And the jury is out but not looking good on Beto.

That gives 14 of the 23 which have been unbridled failures.
Sigurdson, Iwobi, Mina, Keane, Bolasie, Kean, Godfrey, Klassen, Gbamin, Gomes, Allan, Schneiderlein, Walcott, Tosun.

I think from memory 8 of those 14 ran there contracts down as they were pretty much unsellable they where that bad as well. We got amazingly lucky with Kean that Juve made an absolutely brain dead decision to buy him back. Of the rest we took a significant hit on moving them on.
Yes I agree our problem has been not finding value for money spending 20 mil on players is fine as long as they're worth it our problem has been too many haven't been its not the theory thats the problem its the execution. There are different levels with in that too though aswell like Iwobi wasn't great but he played about 150 games and we got most of our money back and Keane has played over 200 games they weren't good signings but they're in a different bracket to some of the others who were just money down the drain not all signings will turn out to be worth double what you pay for them but if you get decent service out of them its not too bad.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back