Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

True. But let's sign these sort of players at a few million rather than wait for them to be valued at £20m+. Some will be duds but at £3-4m, for example, you can afford for 2 or 3 to fail as long as 1 makes it. We really don't use our u23s, league cup games and so on in an effective way at all. We need to develop players, we don't have the money to rely on buying ready made players for each position. No matter what @Eggs says.
Thats exactly what we do though isn't it like in the current squad Coleman Holgate Branthwaite Calvert Lewin and Virginia are all like that while others haven't worked out here like Nkounkou and Crellin I don't think its that market we struggle with tbh its more the level up from that.

True. But let's sign these sort of players at a few million rather than wait for them to be valued at £20m+. Some will be duds but at £3-4m, for example, you can afford for 2 or 3 to fail as long as 1 makes it. We really don't use our u23s, league cup games and so on in an effective way at all. We need to develop players, we don't have the money to rely on buying ready made players for each position. No matter what @Eggs says.

I like we seem to be trying to get in some younger players from Africa into the academy - or at least giving them trials etc, need to branch out beyond the borders of the county 😂

The pick up of the young lad from Ireland is a good sign too

Thats exactly what we do though isn't it like in the current squad Coleman Holgate Branthwaite and Calvert Lewin Virginia are all like that while others haven't worked out here like Nkounkou and Crellin I don't think its that market we struggle with tbh its more the level up from that.
We do it occasionally, maybe 10-20% of our transfers are like that. Most of our deals are for big-ish money and the expectation is that those signed will go straight into the first team. I get why we've done that, our first team was and is relatively low quality so we need players to move the dial. However, at some point we need to move to a position where we sign one or two players a season that go straight into the team and a handful that we look to develop or sell on. It's the only way we make a real fist of steady progress on the pitch. It's what all the successful teams do, even the petrostate clubs are doing that now. We can't be perpetually in a state of crisis. It's exhausting!

It's one of the reasons why I want us to go for the young Swiss CB at Montpellier mate, probably cost no more than 6-7m and on buttons.

Really wanted us to go fir the young English CB at Peterborough who Southampton signed the other day for about 1m as well.

He'll turn into a big profit for them in a few years

Here he is ;)

There are 5 main reasons I want us to sign him:

1: Age of course, only 22 and as a backup its a great age especially as a Swiss international (ignore Senderos!)

2: Has the ability to play at CB & RB which is actually the ideal profile for a RB in a Dyche team. For the long term, he also looks pretty dynamic on youtube so may well adapt to playing in a more attacking system.

3: Was a former teammate of Gnonto who i hope we sign -- if we were to bring in both players then it may be they benefit on amd off the pitch

4: Highly rated in Switzerland and by the Montpellier fans I believe. Looks to be the signing most want us to make before a player has that 'breakout' season and is valued at £20mil+

5: Montpellier signed him for free so may be willing to sell to us at below €10mil.

We do it occasionally, maybe 10-20% of our transfers are like that. Most of our deals are for big-ish money and the expectation is that those signed will go straight into the first team. I get why we've done that, our first team was and is relatively low quality so we need players to move the dial. However, at some point we need to move to a position where we sign one or two players a season that go straight into the team and a handful that we look to develop or sell on. It's the only way we make a real fist of steady progress on the pitch. It's what all the successful teams do, even the petrostate clubs are doing that now. We can't be perpetually in a state of crisis. It's exhausting!
I think most teams only do it as a side hustle not as the main way their transfer business gets done because the hit rate obviously isn't going to be fantastic. 20% of our transfers would probably be about right long term I think. Signing youngish players who can get better is a bit different like I said in the bracket up maybe like Chermiti or Iroegbunam we should focus on that more than we have done in the past but the ones for a couple of mil are just taking a speculative dive in and a lot of them won't work out it can't be the main MO.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back