Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

No I understand what you're saying and I agree with you my only point really was that you originally mentioned players costing about 3 mil and I don't really think thats where you're going to get value like you may pick up the odd one who has slipped through the net somewhere but they are going to be few and far between I wouldn't focus on that market because its like finding a needle in a haystack its the players in the bracket you've mentioned there that I think can be utilised more. I think sometimes its easy to say oh he only cost 3 mil 2 years ago we should have signed him then but we're not taking into account that they might well not have progressed as well if they'd moved here at that point its much easier for a teenager to develop playing in Holland for example than it is in the premier league.

Similarly for the championship which is great for producing young wingers that often they picked up from premier teams academies once they aged out of them.

We've pretty much signed four players mate
We have signed Ndiaye and Iroegbunam and have nearly signed Lindstrom. Why on earth is this fellas deal is taking so long? Also are any of them starters? Harrison was here last season so no change, not including him.
We have lost Onana and DCL is likely gone as well. We need strengthening not weakening.

I just worry about our lack of preparation, once again.

Got to have a mid afternoon moan.

We have signed Ndiaye and Iroegbunam and have nearly signed Lindstrom. Why on earth is this fellas deal is taking so long? Also are any of them starters? Harrison was here last season so no change, not including him.
We have lost Onana and DCL is likely gone as well. We need strengthening not weakening.

I just worry about our lack of preparation, once again.

Got to have a mid afternoon moan.
This deal hasn't taken long at all its 12 days since the very first mention of it and by all accounts the deal is fully done how quick do you think transfers happen normally some of them go on for months!

I think our biggest struggles has been spending serious money mate, we seem to always blow it.

Top of my head the only big money transfers we've made that worked out really well were Pickford, Richy and Lukaku.

So so many we did turned into disasters, just briefly stick up a list of all our transfers over 20m, of the entire lot only 6 could be called big successes - the three I listed above and Onana, Fellaini and Digne.

Of the rest maybe 2 can be described as overall 'ok' Doucoure, Mykolenko

And the jury is out but not looking good on Beto.

That gives 14 of the 23 which have been unbridled failures.
Sigurdson, Iwobi, Mina, Keane, Bolasie, Kean, Godfrey, Klassen, Gbamin, Gomes, Allan, Schneiderlein, Walcott, Tosun.

I think from memory 8 of those 14 ran there contracts down as they were pretty much unsellable they where that bad as well. We got amazingly lucky with Kean that Juve made an absolutely brain dead decision to buy him back. Of the rest we took a significant hit on moving them on.

Agree completely but an important consideration for player trading and asset value is injuries. Quite frankly pre-Dyche/Thelwell there were far too many crippling career defining injuries at Everton. Of the players you listed:

Bolasie: cruciate
Gbamin: cruciate, quad, Achilles, everything
Gomes: ankle break
Tosun: cruciate
Godfrey: broken leg

That’s before you even get to the consistent injuries that we’ve seen to Coleman, Delph, Mina, Doucoure, Allan, James, Calvert Lewin Dele.

I know the usual people will pipe up with a combination of ‘everyone has injuries’ or ‘they were rubbish before they got injured’ but even poor players can be moved on for money providing they’re fit e.g Iwobi Kean Simms Godfrey Dobbin Gray Klaasen

What is an absolute destroyer of clubs are the ones I listed above. You going for a signing, they’re crocked straight away, you not only lose the player, you lose the money, and no one will ever buy them ever again until their contract runs out. Didn’t we have a bid for about 15 mill from Palace for Tosun? Then he does his cruciate (again) and it’s another three years of us paying him to be on the treatment table.

We finished 8th under Silva with Gueye Gomes Siggurdson in midfield. That summer we sell Gueye to PSG and buy Gbamin, Gomes on permanent and Delph to cover. This is not bad recruitment. Gbamin was a young player who would increase in value, Gomes was proven from his loan, Delph was cheap and experienced cover. All three immediately got crocked for the entire season and we had Davies chasing shadows with Siggurdson. Silva is then fired after losing games. We never see a single pound back for any of those players or barely any meaningful contribution on the pitch from them again.

We all saw the benefits of putting out Pickford Tarkowski Branthwaite nearly every game last season. Gueye Garner Onana stayed fit throughout and most of the core of the team were available.

You just can’t run a football club on or off the pitch and expect success when your best players keep getting career altering injuries.

We seem to have improved recently that and long may it continue.

Agree completely but an important consideration for player trading and asset value is injuries. Quite frankly pre-Dyche/Thelwell there were far too many crippling career defining injuries at Everton. Of the players you listed:

That’s before you even get to the consistent injuries that we’ve seen to Coleman, Delph, Mina, Doucoure, Allan, James, Calvert Lewin Dele.

I know the usual people will pipe up with a combination of ‘everyone has injuries’ or ‘they were rubbish before they got injured’ but even poor players can be moved on for money providing they’re fit e.g Iwobi Kean Simms Godfrey Dobbin Gray Klaasen

What is an absolute destroyer of clubs are the ones I listed above. You going for a signing, they’re crocked straight away, you not only lose the player, you lose the money, and no one will ever buy them ever again until their contract runs out. Didn’t we have a bid for about 15 mill from Palace for Tosun? Then he does his cruciate (again) and it’s another three years of us paying him to be on the treatment table.

We finished 8th under Silva with Gueye Gomes Siggurdson in midfield. That summer we sell Gueye to PSG and buy Gbamin, Gomes on permanent and Delph to cover. This is not bad recruitment. Gbamin was a young player who would increase in value, Gomes was proven from his loan, Delph was cheap and experienced cover. All three immediately got crocked for the entire season and we had Davies chasing shadows with Siggurdson. Silva is then fired after losing games. We never see a single pound back for any of those players or barely any meaningful contribution on the pitch from them again.

We all saw the benefits of putting out Pickford Tarkowski Branthwaite nearly every game last season. Gueye Garner Onana stayed fit throughout and most of the core of the team were available.

You just can’t run a football club on or off the pitch and expect success when your best players keep getting career altering injuries.

There is some bad luck there for sure. But I think it underlines the approach taken by Dyche and Thelwell around fitness is the correct one. They need to have track records of playing regularly. I know Moyes was keen on that too. It makes such a big difference.

I think we might be saying similar things and are maybe misunderstanding each other. For me £9m for Tim and £15m on Chermiti are at the upper limit of what we should be paying for development targets. I also think we should be signing more players for development than 20% of our total outlay. It could be riskier than our current strategy but, I would argue at least, that our strategy of signing establishment players has its own risks, lots of our signings have been failures, the difference being that these sort of signings cost us a lot, and I mean a lot a lot, with multi-year high wage contracts. It has to be a blend, obviously, but I would skew more towards younger, promising players. Accepting that there will be some waste in that process.

Have we 'failed' on (m)any of the u21 signings of 'recent' years?

Lookman, Nkounkou Fellaini, Onyekuru & Kean we sold for profit...

Obviously this year we've brought in Benjamin, Loney, Graham, Akarakiri, Freedman, Gospel-Eze, Boakye and have the two African boys on trial at the moment. All of them signed on frees or low fees.

But on the flip side should there be an 'upper limit' on u21 aged players?

An extreme example would be Cole Palmer and before Chelsea and a £20mil+ player would be Wharton...also of course Archie Gray if we moved for both in January.

So i think it depends on each individual player.

Attachments

• IMG_9062.webp
    IMG_9062.webp
    55.1 KB · Views: 6
I think our biggest struggles has been spending serious money mate, we seem to always blow it.

Top of my head the only big money transfers we've made that worked out really well were Pickford, Richy and Lukaku.

So so many we did turned into disasters, just briefly stick up a list of all our transfers over 20m, of the entire lot only 6 could be called big successes - the three I listed above and Onana, Fellaini and Digne.

Of the rest maybe 2 can be described as overall 'ok' Doucoure, Mykolenko

And the jury is out but not looking good on Beto.

That gives 14 of the 23 which have been unbridled failures.
Sigurdson, Iwobi, Mina, Keane, Bolasie, Kean, Godfrey, Klassen, Gbamin, Gomes, Allan, Schneiderlein, Walcott, Tosun.

I think from memory 8 of those 14 ran there contracts down as they were pretty much unsellable they where that bad as well. We got amazingly lucky with Kean that Juve made an absolutely brain dead decision to buy him back. Of the rest we took a significant hit on moving them on.

That's the case. I thought a while ago, I'd basically heavily go for bosmans/loans with money only really being spent on younger players, which appears the plan. We even moved away from Minteh as he seemed too expensive, and like Philogene as well we didn't overpay to get it done.

That seems to be what Thelwell has looked to do. I know you mentioned 2 players over 25 we have paid a fee for. And even with that, May pay had just turned 26 and Beto was 25, so it was hardly guys well over that point either. It feels a change of tact.

Like I do wonder for a club like us, I'm not sure we get demonstrably better quality for spending more money. Yet another stupid thing Moshiri did really.

So what you are saying is, you want Marco Silva back as manager?

I like we seem to be trying to get in some younger players from Africa into the academy - or at least giving them trials etc, need to branch out beyond the borders of the county 😂

The pick up of the young lad from Ireland is a good sign too

They signed a lad from Partick too who was highly rated. I know they are looking at another highly rated Irish teenager.

In that under 16s group I think we poached one from Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal. It was quite noticeable how aggressive we were.

They signed a lad from Partick too who was highly rated. I know they are looking at another highly rated Irish teenager.

In that under 16s group I think we poached one from Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal. It was quite noticeable how aggressive we were.
It might be Mason Melia they are looking at. He's either 16 or just turned 17 and has scored a few in the League of Ireland.
The young lad brought in from Linfield looks a good prospect.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back