Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

The reports around Broja have been pretty consistent from decent sources for a while now. They love every metric about him barring the main one - goal return
I tend to dismiss posts which claim that a player who is playing at a high level is rubbish, clearly Broja is such a player.

The question is if the player is good enough to become the main striker at a premiership club and I think the answer to that is far from certain.
Broja is still a young player, not yet 23 , and has just missed almost an entire season through injury. I certainly would not write him off as rubbish.

What would concern me however is his scoring record, at no time has his goal scoring figures been anything better than modest.
We know DCL does not score large numbers of goals but anybody who watches Everton play and is fair minded can see how important DCL is to a team that struggles, Can Broja contribute as much to the team and increase his goal output ?

I tend to dismiss posts which claim that a player who is playing at a high level is rubbish, clearly Broja is such a player.

The question is if the player is good enough to become the main striker at a premiership club and I think the answer to that is far from certain.
Broja is still a young player, not yet 23 , and has just missed almost an entire season through injury. I certainly would not write him off as rubbish.

What would concern me however is his scoring record, at no time has his goal scoring figures been anything better than modest.
We know DCL does not score large numbers of goals but anybody who watches Everton play and is fair minded can see how important DCL is to a team that struggles, Can Broja contribute as much to the team and increase his goal output ?
For me Broja would be a waste of money (Chelsea wont let him go on the cheap). It's not that he hasn't got potential, but as you say, he's never been prolific and has had plenty of injuries. At least with Dom you'd expect double figures, although he didn't achieve that last season. We may be better getting a few younger players to develop rather than spending big on one player like Broja. Hopefully we can spread the goals round and have a bunch on 5+ goals this season if our CF fails to fire... again!

Every single time I’ve watched Broja he’s seemed to lack the same…intent that Dom has off the ball. It’s an intangible that’s so important and is visible lacking. He got dropped for Albania in the Euros after a game and looked awful. Just weak, physically and mentally. You know those big bodied lads who don’t seem to know how big they are and don’t put themselves about? But aren’t small enough to play cute like the other players. It comes off as cumbersome and lumbering.

I saw that they initially liked Broja as his advanced stats were very similar to Richarlison. But those stats ignored the intangibles that made Richy a talisman. Broja lacks aggression. His lack of aggression undermines what should be his strengths. Richarlison was so aggressive in everything he did, it’s almost like he played above his stats the small things he did as well as were never captured in the numbers.

And yes, I’ve watched enough of Broja to come to that conclusion personally.

Think that'll be us fairly quiet now for a bit, can see us going for Gnonto and Phillips now but being willing to wait a bit, we'll probably also re-sign Dele officially in the next few weeks, but that doesn't count. Think the internal discussions would probably be that if we can't get another owner this squad can do a job with what we have, but obviously I think the aim is sustaining at the moment when there's uncertainty.

Liking the business so far overall though, been an abnormally smart window from us, mostly because all of the meddlers are no longer active in the club with Thelwell and Dyche actually just working together for the betterment of the club, who'd have thought that outlandish strategy would've worked?

Good post mate. 100%. ;)

Still weak down the spine.

Ev.png

Winger and a centre back are the next priorities according to Bobble's mate.

The centre back thing sort of surprises me given we currently have 4 senior ones on the books (although two of them are dreadful and one of them we are battling to keep). You'd think we'd want to offload at least one of Holgate or Keane before we went for a new one.

The centre back thing sort of surprises me given we currently have 4 senior ones on the books (although two of them are dreadful and one of them we are battling to keep). You'd think we'd want to offload at least one of Holgate or Keane before we went for a new one.

What about replacing Onana? Surely they see that as a priority

Yeah a CM would take priority over another CB for me, unless Tarkowski is injured?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.