Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Phillips has kind of a strange career. Never a youth international and "just a Championship player" until he met Bielsa as a 23 year old. Bielsa started playing him more defensively, often as a central defender, and Phillips developed rapidly. Beaming with confidence for a high-flying Leeds team and the development during Bielsa's guidance made him an England player.

Nothing before he was coached by Bielsa made people think he was a future England player. Nothing he has done since playing for Bielsa has made him look like an England player. He was a player that during a spell, playing for a certain manager, looked great. That doesn't make him a great footballer.

Ancelotti coached an Everton team that would dominate Dyche's Everton. With Mason Holgate as arguably the team's best player. DCL and Godfrey were both full internationals while being coached by Ancelotti. Shame Dyche isn't "the type of manager to sort them out".

Not sure what players Dyche have sorted out. Ever. Goalkeepers and defenders often look good playing for him, but can anyone name a midfielder that has looked better playing for Dyche than other clubs? Garner and Onana both looked worse after Dyche came in. It feels like it is a matter of time before any promise Iroegbunam shows will be coached away. Gueye has looked decent, but he will always look better playing for teams that doesn't want to have the ball.

Some might argue that Doucoure has improved playing for Dyche. He has always been a liability with the ball. Rule of thumb should be to not let him have the ball in the defensive half. Meaning benched (by Lampard) or to play him more offensive and not to try to play through the midfield (Dyche).

Playing as a central midfielder in a Dyche team means that you in most matches will be outnumbered 2v3 or 2v4. Even the most talented midfielders would struggle to shine when that is the case. A well coached team could and should play through Everton's midfield blindfolded. We could play Rodri and Rice in the midfield and still be dominated. That is the reality. And it is by design.

It is a hell of a lot easier to look decent as a midfielder for City or West Ham.
The England midfield had been dross for most of the last 10yrs, Jordon Henderson getting 70 odd caps tells you that, Jake Livermore got a cap under Southgate. So getting in that midfield in them last 10yrs doesn’t say much for me.
I think Philpps is very average and wouldn’t offer much and will just cost us a lot of money.

If this goes through I think it will be all on dyche,
Who likes British experienced players, With prem experience

Who gives a crap about this? He's just bad at football.
Everybody gives a crap about bad personalities or simply knob heads within the squad. Think Royston Drenthe-type characters.

I do agree he's completely fallen off a cliff, but beggars can't be choosers and if we could get him on a very low wage (as I said with City paying the majority) then it's an extra, experienced set of legs in a position we're desperately lacking in.

He's much more worthy of a chance than Dele Alli ever was, that's for damn sure.

Kieran Trippier speaks very highly of him and credits him with changing his career trajectory.
I've read they still keep in touch so I don't doubt that Dyche has been important for Trippier on a personal level.

But Spurs signed Trippier for £3.5 million to have a back-up for Kyle Walker. Trippier developed into the footballer we know today after leaving Burnley and Dyche.

Everybody gives a crap about bad personalities or simply knob heads within the squad. Think Royston Drenthe-type characters.

I do agree he's completely fallen off a cliff, but beggars can't be choosers and if we could get him on a very low wage (as I said with City paying the majority) then it's an extra, experienced set of legs in a position we're desperately lacking in.

He's much more worthy of a chance than Dele Alli ever was, that's for damn sure.

Or... we just sign neither of them.

Solanke to spurs and DCL to Bournemouth hopefully.

Then we sign Ashley Barnes
Surely he won’t leave us to goto Bournmouth. I mean, we will of offered him a good wage, they won’t be able to beat us, and he will go from playing in front of 40k a week to like 15k.

Don’t see it myself

Surely he won’t leave us to goto Bournmouth. I mean, we will of offered him a good wage, they won’t be able to beat us, and he will go from playing in front of 40k a week to like 15k.

Don’t see it myself
All of those 15k will be wearing Calvert-Lewin kits and singing his song. Be very interesting to see what it is he does want based on where he ends up. Money, CL football on the bench somewhere, adulation of the fans, or just location and lifestyle. But given the lack of leaks, doesn’t look overburdened with options.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back