Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to see us making signings that would lift us any higher than about 12th.

We have to ensure at the very least that we have enough to be floating around that mid-tier.

Need another 4 in, maybe 5 and ensure we fulfill loan quota.

Lack of goals in the squad as it currently stands is terrifying. But goals tend to cost money. Despite my better judgement, I am still of the same view I had on Friday when Lingard was linked, at least if the option is available in the run-up to the window closing.

Both defending and creating were massive problems last year, we were absolutley awful at set peices for the whole season and when we tried to play a pocession based game we got turned over and were caught on the counter with to much space and not enough defensive skill in behind. To compensate we had to bring the whole shape of the team back and become a containing team and hit on the break and pray to gods.

Equally, we tool out every major creative threat we had in the squad - Digne, Jamo, Gylfi, Bernard, for one reason or another, meaning essentially are only threat was banging crosses in or we were relying on Richarlison or DCL to create something out of nothing. By the end we were relying on that, blind luck, bodies in the box and basically Gordon or Iwobi to create something.

In short we were gash at both and probably overall.

We have to ensure at the very least that we have enough to be floating around that mid-tier.

Lack of goals in the squad as it currently stands is terrifying. But goals tend to cost money. Despite my better judgement, I am still of the same view I had on Friday when Lingard was linked, at least if the option is available in the run-up to the window closing.
after last season id take that all day long, galling as it is to admit.

Last edited:

I admire your optimism but we are in an 8 team league with Palace, Southampton, Leeds, Brentford, Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest. Forget about the top half.
I think Palace can look upwards rather than down. Southampton are the interesting ones. Commercially efficiently run but hovering above the relegation zone. One win in the last 12 games of the season. That win was against Arsenal when they had 24% possession. First 5 games of the season are really tough.

I said wasnt our main issue.

For me all roads lead to midfield.

Leaking goals and lack of creativity.

Midfield is probably the one area we could completely gut as there’s not one player at the right level.

Hard to know where to start. Delph coming back in and instantly making it much better spoke volumes.

With those out of contract gone there needs to be 2-3 additions, depending on what we can get 1-2 of those should be starters.

Allan, Gomes and Davies are either not good enough or finished. Doucoure was productive at times and a car crash at others.

Honestly think Wolves could get dragged in there. They had a great start but fell away at the end of the season and were really poor. They’ve not strengthened yet either.

Honestly anyone outside of that "top 6" is in that mix. The likes of West Ham will probably be ok, as Moyes is a very steady operator, but honestly if you look at where we fell from, it's possible for sides to get sucked in, without doubt.

I'm not massively "long" on this squad, but last season was a season where almost everything could go wrong did, and we still got 39 points. I mean list all the things that went wrong:

1) We unexpectedly lost a manager throwing our plans into disrepute.
2) The board then missed about for weeks, not giving the new manager any time
3) They picked a divisive figure as a new manager
4) We only had 2m to bring in players
5) We get the worst injuries in the league, essentially torpedoing a good start of being in the top 6 after 10 games or whatever.
6) The DOF leaves mid season
7) We get a number of bad VAR calls even acknowledged by the league.
8) We are bottom of the league for set peices
9) We are bottom of the league for goals lost from mistakes.
10) The clubs main sponsor is sanctioned due to a major conflict starting.

If ever there was a perfect storm of circumstances coming together it was that.

Just to add in some additional stuff:
1) 1-2 promoted sides get relegated.
2) Of the other 1-2 places it's often taken by a side who has been recently promoted.
3) So there is generally 1 place for relegation
4) 36 points is ver high for survival, it has in recent years been closer to 30 to survive. I suspect that trend will continue.

A lot of things on that first list arent there anymore. We have a manager who has had 6 months to get to know the squad. We have a DOF who will have prepared a pre season with the manager. We will have some money to spend.

If any of the outliers, I.E set peices, injuries or mistakes can just move to being league average (I.e 10th not 20th) we probably add anywhere from 5-10 points.

I'm not saying it's great, or the squad is great but I think we will progress regress back to the mean. Factor is, we have quite a young squad overall, its not over the hill like some others. Certain players improved last season, Iwobi, Gordon, Holgate, and others might be due a good season (Godfrey, Alli, Gray, DCL) etc.

I'll reiterate I dont see us challenging for Europe, but honestly I think barring another disaster, we will be clear of relegation.

Honestly anyone outside of that "top 6" is in that mix. The likes of West Ham will probably be ok, as Moyes is a very steady operator, but honestly if you look at where we fell from, it's possible for sides to get sucked in, without doubt.

I'm not massively "long" on this squad, but last season was a season where almost everything could go wrong did, and we still got 39 points. I mean list all the things that went wrong:

1) We unexpectedly lost a manager throwing our plans into disrepute.
2) The board then missed about for weeks, not giving the new manager any time
3) They picked a divisive figure as a new manager
4) We only had 2m to bring in players
5) We get the worst injuries in the league, essentially torpedoing a good start of being in the top 6 after 10 games or whatever.
6) The DOF leaves mid season
7) We get a number of bad VAR calls even acknowledged by the league.
8) We are bottom of the league for set peices
9) We are bottom of the league for goals lost from mistakes.
10) The clubs main sponsor is sanctioned due to a major conflict starting.

If ever there was a perfect storm of circumstances coming together it was that.

Just to add in some additional stuff:
1) 1-2 promoted sides get relegated.
2) Of the other 1-2 places it's often taken by a side who has been recently promoted.
3) So there is generally 1 place for relegation
4) 36 points is ver high for survival, it has in recent years been closer to 30 to survive. I suspect that trend will continue.

A lot of things on that first list arent there anymore. We have a manager who has had 6 months to get to know the squad. We have a DOF who will have prepared a pre season with the manager. We will have some money to spend.

If any of the outliers, I.E set peices, injuries or mistakes can just move to being league average (I.e 10th not 20th) we probably add anywhere from 5-10 points.

I'm not saying it's great, or the squad is great but I think we will progress regress back to the mean. Factor is, we have quite a young squad overall, its not over the hill like some others. Certain players improved last season, Iwobi, Gordon, Holgate, and others might be due a good season (Godfrey, Alli, Gray, DCL) etc.

I'll reiterate I dont see us challenging for Europe, but honestly I think barring another disaster, we will be clear of relegation.

Yes agree with all of this.

Another factor is that we didn’t really see much of DCL and Richarlison together last season so whilst we’ve lost Richarlison, if DCL can stay fit, it should be a replacement in terms of the goals Richy provided last season. If we can then get another source of goals either from Richy’s real replacement or improvements from Gordon Dele Gray, then we should be fine as I can’t see the defence being as bad it was last season.

Neves and Moutinho are pivotal in midfield. There’s a good chance neves could move on but their new manager - Bruno Lage - did an amazing job.

At the start yes. I know a few Wolves fans though who are seriously worried that if they don’t make some transfers they’re going down based on their football by the end of the season.

I know people are saying we need 4 or 5 in - I don’t disagree. But incredibly even after getting rid of Kenny, Delph, Gylfi, Tosun, Richi, El Ghazi and Donny (and Kean), we still have a bloated squad:

Pickford
Begovic

Patterson
Coleman
Branthwaite
Mina
Keane
Tarkowski
Holgate
Godfrey
Myko
Nkonkou

Gomes
Davies
Allan
Doucs
Gbamin
Iwobi
Gray
Gordon
Townsend
Dele

DCL
Rondon

24 first team players not including any youngsters. Need to be moving on another 3 minimum.

i think we can do middle table. As you said depends on who we bring in. Hopefully bring in a solid defender that played most weeks will get us a few more points. Look how much better we were, when Mina played last season. Even 3 or 4 draws, were we lost be the odd goal makes a massive difference.

Until the midfield, is sorted and improve supply for strikers we are never going to do anything special. Oh and we need another striker, unless on of the young lads are ready to step up.

We should be after that Singo from Torino. A grock of a right back that is far superior to Coleman or Patterson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back