Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both defending and creating were massive problems last year, we were absolutley awful at set peices for the whole season and when we tried to play a pocession based game we got turned over and were caught on the counter with to much space and not enough defensive skill in behind. To compensate we had to bring the whole shape of the team back and become a containing team and hit on the break and pray to gods.

Equally, we tool out every major creative threat we had in the squad - Digne, Jamo, Gylfi, Bernard, for one reason or another, meaning essentially are only threat was banging crosses in or we were relying on Richarlison or DCL to create something out of nothing. By the end we were relying on that, blind luck, bodies in the box and basically Gordon or Iwobi to create something.

In short we were gash at both and probably overall.
An Andros Townsend purple patch at the start of the season and Andre Grey performing well above expectations did a lot more for us that we might care to admit/remember.

That injury has probably done it for Townsend but Grey can hopefully contribute when needed this coming season.

Yes agree with all of this.

Another factor is that we didn’t really see much of DCL and Richarlison together last season so whilst we’ve lost Richarlison, if DCL can stay fit, it should be a replacement in terms of the goals Richy provided last season. If we can then get another source of goals either from Richy’s real replacement or improvements from Gordon Dele Gray, then we should be fine as I can’t see the defence being as bad it was last season.

I hate the phrase, as often it was misused by incompetent board members to justify inaction, but Calvert Lewin will be "like a new signing" next season.

Over the previous couple of seasons he had played like a 15 goal a season man, and that was lost last year. I dont think it's all on him (ad you can see, there are a multitude of other issues) but losing 15 goals, and someone who leads the line for sides in our position is massive. The previous year Wolves lost Jiminez and nearly went down. The big question we have for DCL is whether he can stay fit.

Likewise, Alli, is we get him right will also be like a new signing, and potentially Patterson too. So before the season starts, you have 3 players, who could improve the first 11 to come in. Some ifs and buts of course, but that's true of any signing isnt it?

An Andros Townsend purple patch at the start of the season and Andre Grey performing well above expectations did a lot more for us that we might care to admit/remember.

That injury has probably done it for Townsend but Grey can hopefully contribute when needed this coming season.

They were both great mate, we had 16 points after Utd away in OCT - the last manager would only got another 2. Most were down to Demari's and Townsend form. I wonder did teams cotton onto them, it became telegraphed and Voldermort wouldn't vary is approach to the game.

Both defending and creating were massive problems last year, we were absolutley awful at set peices for the whole season and when we tried to play a pocession based game we got turned over and were caught on the counter with to much space and not enough defensive skill in behind. To compensate we had to bring the whole shape of the team back and become a containing team and hit on the break and pray to gods.

Equally, we tool out every major creative threat we had in the squad - Digne, Jamo, Gylfi, Bernard, for one reason or another, meaning essentially are only threat was banging crosses in or we were relying on Richarlison or DCL to create something out of nothing. By the end we were relying on that, blind luck, bodies in the box and basically Gordon or Iwobi to create something.

In short we were gash at both and probably overall.

Doucoure getting injured was massive for Benitez too mate. At the start of the season, there were impartial sites talking about him being one of the best CMs in the league. We essentially got good defensive from him, but were also getting decent output from a "number 10" at the same time. Essentially stealing a player. He was perfect for what we were trying to do, and we had nobody in the squad who could get close to that role.

They were both great mate, we had 16 points after Utd away in OCT - the last manager would only got another 2. Most were down to Demari's and Townsend form. I wonder did teams cotton onto them, it became telegraphed and Voldermort wouldn't vary is approach to the game.

People seem to forget this. It was the same squad as well. We then got decimated with injuries, and spiralled out of control.

I think most sides, outside of the top 6, if they had the worst injuries in the league, would probably end up bottom 6. They just cant carry the depth.

Doucoure getting injured was massive for Benitez too mate. At the start of the season, there were impartial sites talking about him being one of the best CMs in the league. We essentially got good defensive from him, but were also getting decent output from a "number 10" at the same time. Essentially stealing a player. He was perfect for what we were trying to do, and we had nobody in the squad who could get close to that role.

Thats a great point mate, he played The Duke in a role that really suited him. Im trying to remember was it Allan in there with him?

I love the Duke, i think hes been brilliant for us, hes one of my favorite players.

They were, and yes I think teams figure tactics out but we also suffered badly as the Benitez effect compounded.

Grey in particular was still making a difference to games and this was despite an injury which clearly hampered him. The goal v Arsenal is obvious but the run to beat a few players before the equaliser v Palace and the free kick for the winner stand out. He may always be an enigma but he’s very capable.

People seem to forget this. It was the same squad as well. We then got decimated with injuries, and spiralled out of control.

I think most sides, outside of the top 6, if they had the worst injuries in the league, would probably end up bottom 6. They just cant carry the depth.

It really was depleting, Richarlison was out for a good while to if i remember right actually i might go back and look at that period, because i think their is huge learning there. We forget also we had a lot of games postponed due to Covid.

The one that annoyed me was Newcastle, i know we beat them in March at home, but we could have played them under earlier befroe they had the tranfer window in Jan under their belts.

They were, and yes I think teams figure tactics out but we also suffered badly as the Benitez effect compounded.

Grey in particular was still making a difference to games and this was despite an injury which clearly hampered him. The goal v Arsenal is obvious but the run to beat a few players before the equaliser v Palace and the free kick for the winner stand out. He may always be an enigma but he’s very capable.

He was irresistible in those games mate, on that form he looked one of the best in the league, buzz when he got on the ball, if we ever got consistency out of him we have a hell of a player. I remember just before his injury teams started to double mark him and kick him more.

Thats a great point mate, he played The Duke in a role that really suited him. Im trying to remember was it Allan in there with him?

I love the Duke, i think hes been brilliant for us, hes one of my favorite players.

I agree with that and I really like him too. Under Benitez he was much more effective. He played further forward and was effective. The last few games of the season he was all over the place but I think that was down to him being one of the few midfielders fit and able to do a job for the team.

I’m confident he will be much better this coming season.

I agree with that and I really like him too. Under Benitez he was much more effective. He played further forward and was effective. The last few games of the season he was all over the place but I think that was down to him being one of the few midfielders fit and able to do a job for the team.

I’m confident he will be much better this coming season.

I think he was asked to more for the system in the last 10 games mate, its not his natural game and it took from him stamina wise, but to be fair to him he put his face in front of a few balls. lol

Grey will be a sub next season. I think Townsend might surprise us. He said on the radio, he's nearly ready for running on grass. He could be back in 3 months. Unless he has a setback. ACL's aren't the career ending injuries they used to be. Think both could contribute, especially as we need 5 subs this season.

I can't see either being first choice though.

Grey will be a sub next season. I think Townsend might surprise us. He said on the radio, he's nearly ready for running on grass. He could be back in 3 months. Unless he has a setback. ACL's aren't the career ending injuries they used to be. Think both could contribute, especially as we need 5 subs this season.

I can't see either being first choice though.

Really mate, i thought i read something his Dad said - that mentioned it would be the New Year - good news if he came back a month or so into the season.

I think he was asked to more for the system in the last 10 games mate, its not his natural game and it took from him stamina wise, but to be fair to him he put his face in front of a few balls. lol

No doubt, he was probably asked to do a job of 2 players while Delph sat and mopped up but it was what was needed to get the team over the line.

There’s a few games last season when he was player of the match, I remember Brighton away when he was particularly good (Allan too). It was just after that period that the wheels started to come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back