Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I’m reading the tea leaves correctly, I think we’ve got money for one 20m+ signing, maybe with slightly less upfront than normal. And now the club is figuring out how to spend that money, and that decision would largely depend on who is available on a free or on loan to plug some of the holes. Which would explain why we’ve heard about Eriksen, then MGW once he turned us down. The Dennis links seemed to follow our first supposed bid for KLP.

If that is true, and I’m totally guessing here, then I think that money should definitely go towards a midfielder. Of the names that have mentioned so far, I like the idea of Zinchenko, MGW, or I’m also intrigued by this Onana guy at Lille. Looks like a good defensive presence, 6’5” but comfortable on the ball. Literally just basing on a highlights video of course. That would potentially allow Doucoure/Allan to play in their correct positions and free up Iwobi and Dele in AM roles. We’d still be super light in creativity and passing though.

Onana is the right profile.

Getting his first cap for belgium last month as well.

Just the right time to bring him in before hes on the radar of the top sides and the fee gets out of hand.

If I’m reading the tea leaves correctly, I think we’ve got money for one 20m+ signing, maybe with slightly less upfront than normal. And now the club is figuring out how to spend that money, and that decision would largely depend on who is available on a free or on loan to plug some of the holes. Which would explain why we’ve heard about Eriksen, then MGW once he turned us down. The Dennis links seemed to follow our first supposed bid for KLP.

If that is true, and I’m totally guessing here, then I think that money should definitely go towards a midfielder. Of the names that have mentioned so far, I like the idea of Zinchenko, MGW, or I’m also intrigued by this Onana guy at Lille. Looks like a good defensive presence, 6’5” but comfortable on the ball. Literally just basing on a highlights video of course. That would potentially allow Doucoure/Allan to play in their correct positions and free up Iwobi and Dele in AM roles. We’d still be super light in creativity and passing though.
Even if we could only spend money on one midfielder, getting DM locked down with a guy like Onana would probably be my priority too. Like you say we'd still be light in creativity and passing but the loan market will have options like (ideally) Gallacher, or if not guys like Winks or Gilmour who can still supply that if adequately backed up by a more physical DM.

I actually think we've probably got some wriggle room to make about 3 cash signings (wriggle room here may include more promises to the PL about increased commercial revenue next year or selling more key players, but it's still wriggle room).

However, we need so much in this squad that every penny counts. Let's say we want Onana and his club want £30 m and we want Broja and Chelsea want £25m, well the money we can negotiate off those might be enough to facilitate MGW and so on. Think it's more a case that if we sign our targets in the way most clubs are able to (because they are run better), then we dramatically reduce our ability to strengthen other key areas.

I would guess, in an ideal world, Lampard would probably want 2 more forward players (could be strikers or wingers) and 2 more midfielders, if no other players leave. Some of what we need may be covered by loans, but I guess the need to balance every penny is why we are taking so long, not because we can't sign anyone.

Yeah I vehemently disagree with that. Kane, Eriksen and Dembele were world class and he was there too.
C'mon man, he got over 80 goals+assists across his first 3 seasons at Spurs. That is a world-class output. He was genuinely just stupidly good when he was younger.

If West Ham and Leicester are also in for him, that tempers any excitement a little. I’d blame no player for considering them better options than us at present.
I’m not expert on those clubs but wouldn’t he be behind Ndidi and Soumare and Soucek and Rice?

C'mon man, he got over 80 goals+assists across his first 3 seasons at Spurs. That is a world-class output. He was genuinely just stupidly good when he was younger.
When you view him as a striker it's good, maybe great, but not better than that. And to me he's always been well closer to a striker than midfielder.

Even if we could only spend money on one midfielder, getting DM locked down with a guy like Onana would probably be my priority too. Like you say we'd still be light in creativity and passing but the loan market will have options like (ideally) Gallacher, or if not guys like Winks or Gilmour who can still supply that if adequately backed up by a more physical DM.
Yeah and getting a proper creative midfielder like Eriksen is tough - there just aren’t that many guys who see moves before they happen and constantly put dangerous balls in the box. Despite our ineptitude we aren’t the only club desperate for that. Creativity and making things happen can happen in other ways too, and I think Dele and Iwobi can provide some of that. I just worry about their reliability. If you can’t get that, then you just need midfielders comfortable with the ball at their feet, and someone like Gilmour or Winks can provide what we don’t have, even if it’s not overly impressive. All about finding a better balance, because we have none in midfield.

At his very very worst, he was still head and shoulders above Iwobi, serious question here, has Iwobi EVER gone past below average at any point in his career?
Are we playing Alli right off of Dom like a hipster Sigurdsson? No? Then I'd rather have Iwobi in my team both in 2022 and 2017.

Are we playing Alli right off of Dom like a hipster Sigurdsson? No? Then I'd rather have Iwobi in my team both in 2022 and 2017.
4E97DD5D-6F34-42D8-BD79-211566DC3F61.jpeg

5F1927BB-5F1A-4A64-A635-5EF82B18D59F.jpeg

Incredible work, keep it up

Id be very excited if we could get Onana.
Not seen him, but....

Last summer Leicester signed Soumare from Lille. He was a regular starter as DM for the Ligue 1 champions. He was terrible for Leicester. So bad that Mendy, that was not registered to play in the league before January, became a regular and a massive upgrade on Soumare. Rodgers could hardly find place for Soumare in the match day squad second half of the season.

Onana is not a regular starter for Lille. A Lille side that no longer are champions but finished 10th in the league last season.

I dont doubt that Onana is talented and has great potential, but is he ready for Premier League? Can Everton spend big money to sign him and expect him to need 6-18 months before he starts matches?

Liverpool spent £40 million on Fabinho and waited 5 months before they played him in the league. Gueye was not great for Villa his first season. Veretout struggled big time.

It is different with offensive players. You can be patient with them. Give them 15-30 minutes per match. Waiting for them to be ready. You can not do that with central midfielders. You need to wait for them to be ready. And without matching in Europe, that wait can be long.

Status
Not open for further replies.