Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
The likes of Gbamin, a fully fit DCL, Lewis Warrington for example he hasn’t mate.

Half of the squad was shot by injury or drained of confidence since he took over.

I think now he’s starting with a clean slate all fresh and will get a better idea of who’s in his plans and who’s not.

I think he’d be an absolutely massive idiot to think we might not need to buy two midfielders.

He wasn't that good. I mean he was good but people are acting like he turned into Socrates for 45 minutes and I don't agree that it was anything like that.

I agree with you. But he did more than goal hang is more the point.

The concern wasnt really his performance, but its more can he do that every week. I actually felt Doucoure, Iwobi and Alli worked very well together as a 3. Its gung ho, but if they are all happy with their role and at their best, it is a consideration. Some of the interplay between the 3 was excellent. Yes it was only for 45 minutes, and no they werent Socrates, but it was enjoyable to watch, and one of the few games where I felt we won the midfield battle.

I agree with you. But he did more than goal hang is more the point.

The concern wasnt really his performance, but its more can he do that every week. I actually felt Doucoure, Iwobi and Alli worked very well together as a 3. Its gung ho, but if they are all happy with their role and at their best, it is a consideration. Some of the interplay between the 3 was excellent. Yes it was only for 45 minutes, and no they werent Socrates, but it was enjoyable to watch, and one of the few games where I felt we won the midfield battle.
I think more than likely you can't get away with that three more than every now and again. For me Doucoure and Iwobi step on each other a lot (no secret who I'd prefer but I digress) and Dele really hasn't shown an ability to start deeper. Maybe with a true #6 you could play two of them but Doucoure won't be that.

Hmm.

I dunno.

What does it say if Tuchell deems Gallagher not good enough and loans him out again?

RLC got serious minutes last season, so the bar isnt THAT high.

Think it says that a homegrown product at Chelsea rarely makes it mate, and that Tuchel isn't really a coach that ever really showed he was a yooofh developer, plus also that Chelsea are way way way better than us and the bar for what they want in the first team is higher.

I love Gordon but if I'm a Chelsea manager and have him but know I can sign Mane/Sterling etc and in two years I'm likely not there I know what I'd do.

I think more than likely you can't get away with that three more than every now and again. For me Doucoure and Iwobi step on each other a lot (no secret who I'd prefer but I digress) and Dele really hasn't shown an ability to start deeper. Maybe with a true #6 you could play two of them but Doucoure won't be that.

That's the obvious drawback. Perhaps a couple of additional points may be that if we went to a 352, that 3 as a midfield 3 might work. You could play Gordon/Gray off a front man.

It's funny you say that re Doucoure/Iwobi. I kind of think the opposite, even though it feels counter intuitive. Both suit playing in a 3. I seem to remember them both playing in a 3 at West Ham away and being good.

Having watched about 5 different YouTube clips of the guy I can say a few things for sure.

1. He's freaking huge.
2. Some great tackles by him, nearly all of them because he let the guy get goalside of him easily so had to slide in when they received the ball unmarked, best tackle is one you never have to make as your positioning cuts out the ball in the first place.
3. Pretty much every clip shows him using his physical size to do anything, maybe a bit easier to get away with that in the french league
4. He has a good left foot on him.
5. He isn't a DM (yet) he's like Fellaini or Dacoure playing there - big physical presence throwing himself about.

May develop into a great player, but right now he's raw as anything and nowhere near anything like 30m

For what it's worth, he looks like a machine at tackling/winning the ball back and very good in the air. They are definitely things that are big positives (especially with our ability at set plays).

However he is not as good at carrying the ball as Doucoure and he is not very good on the ball. Up side he is 20 and should develop, downside is that coming to the PL, some of the physicality is negated.

What I'd also say, is you couldn't play him as a 6 currently, as he lacks the discipline and ability on the ball to do so. You'd have to have him as an "8" with the license to get around the pitch and win the ball back. The worry is that we already have a lot of players who are best doing that.

That's the obvious drawback. Perhaps a couple of additional points may be that if we went to a 352, that 3 as a midfield 3 might work. You could play Gordon/Gray off a front man.

It's funny you say that re Doucoure/Iwobi. I kind of think the opposite, even though it feels counter intuitive. Both suit playing in a 3. I seem to remember them both playing in a 3 at West Ham away and being good.
I think playing them both can work but the third guy would have to be very very good at plugging gaps because they'll both leave them. I just think one offers more upside when he leaves said gaps than the other.

The likes of Gbamin, a fully fit DCL, Lewis Warrington for example he hasn’t mate.

Half of the squad was shot by injury or drained of confidence since he took over.

I think now he’s starting with a clean slate all fresh and will get a better idea of who’s in his plans and who’s not.
The idea of a clean slate makes me pretty frustrated. How many chances are we going to give some of these dreadful players

We need to something that we haven't done for a good while now and it would change the entire perspective of the next season. We need to sell before we buy. The problem we have always had is that we sign players and fit them around what we have and end up with the same players in the team by Christmas and our form is terrible. I would like to see us sell players first of all and set a statement that the level going isn't good enough so all that come in afterwards are the new standard and play them against chelsea.

It does seem to me like Lampard is having a good luck at the squad before we decide what positions to prioritise.

I know we’re all a little impatient me included but we’re not in a position to get any misses in the transfer market. We’ve had far too many and expensive ones at that.
Which is exactly the right approach, it’s what pre-season is for. He hasn’t had the time to assess what players he has to play in his own system. What the point in going out to buy someone if he thinks he has a player who can already do it.
Iwobi completely changed last year playing in a system that suited him, he might be surprised by someone who can fit in his (It won’t be Iwobi).
I expect in a couple of weeks we will see a few get sold and also a few of the younger ones on loan.
He might be after players, but the other teams want replacements first.

Hasn’t he had a good look at them already having been in the job since January?
No because they just had to dig in and play whatever footy it needed. He now wants to play his way, he won’t have had enough time to assess the squad for his style while in a relegation battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back