Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is losing 9 players from a first team squad not disruptive, even if they're not regular starters lol And I get that some kind of refresh is required, but I do think that it is a bit much.

Agree though that the logistics is as much of a barrier.

Be really interested in those who wish to flee for more football. Think that has been where many of our previous managers have failed - being able to convince certain players that it is in their best interests to look elsewhere. Not sure why this is the case, probably a combination of the money, but also those managers not having a clear enough picture as to who is needed and who is actually surplus (so keep em all). Too much drudgery to be ruthless
Well I didn't say it wouldn't be disruptive. What I'm saying is that I don't think that would the reason for not doing it. If they could get rid of all the players Zat mentioned I have no doubt they would, disruption wouldn't even enter their thinking, but realistically they wouldn't be able to.

Disruption like that is massively overstated though, people always talk about new players gelling etc but there are tons of examples of clubs signing multiple new players and it working just fine. You just have to sign the right players. There's a decent chance that of the list Zat posted 3/4/5 of them won't start a game for us in the second half of the season. The disruption caused by players like that leaving is minimal. It won't happen because it would leave us too much to do in one summer, but I wouldn't be even remotely concerned about disrupting a squad which has looked completely disharmonious, bloated and unbalanced for years.

Hopefully a mass clearout of alot of our squad players:

Tosun, Sig, Kenny, Delph, Lonergan, Begovic =6 Out of contract

9 Mina, Keane, Holgate, Gomes, Davies, Iwobi, Allan, Gbamin, Rondon = Sold.

Pickford (+2 keepers) Nkonkou, Mykolenko, Branthwaite, Godfrey, Doucoure, Onyango, Alli, Patterson, Gray, Gordon, Dobbin, DCL, Richarlison = 16 players to keep and maybe they hold onto Coleman and Townsend for a season as well...takes us to 18.

So moving out 15 players we still have an 18 man squad.
I'd imagine one or both of Richarlison & DCL will go in the summer to help with structuring finances (we have probably spent some of there money this January)
I cant imagine us selling 3 of our 4 centre halves and even if we wanted too, who would pay good money for Keane with 3 years left of his contract.
Same goes for Iwobi, Gomes & Gbamin! There wages will probably keep them here until there contract runs out!
Davies, if he is now out until the end of the season, again........no chance someone decides to spend money on him

The younger player im most excited about is Branthwaite.

That boy to my untrained eyes looks like the type who one of the top clubs sign and he becomes a starter and England player before long.

Hopefully he develops further and breaks into the 11 this season.
I absolutely agree - he has an awful lot going for him.

My only slight reservation (and it's only a vague hunch at the moment) is that because he's such a big unit of a lad, I'm not sure how quick he is on the turn and whether he'd be capable of playing a high line, which is something I'd expect to see more of under Lampard.

Apart from that, he's huge, two-footed (more so than anyone I can remember seeing here), comfortable on the ball and already showing good defensive instincts for someone so young.

If my fears are allayed about that speed on the turn, he genuinely looks like a massive talent and one we could do with progressing quickly.

Well I didn't say it wouldn't be disruptive. What I'm saying is that I don't think that would the reason for not doing it. If they could get rid of all the players Zat mentioned I have no doubt they would, disruption wouldn't even enter their thinking, but realistically they wouldn't be able to.

Disruption like that is massively overstated though, people always talk about new players gelling etc but there are tons of examples of clubs signing multiple new players and it working just fine. You just have to sign the right players. There's a decent chance that of the list Zat posted 3/4/5 of them won't start a game for us in the second half of the season. The disruption caused by players like that leaving is minimal. It won't happen because it would leave us too much to do in one summer, but I wouldn't be even remotely concerned about disrupting a squad which has looked completely disharmonious, bloated and unbalanced for years.
Fair points.

Can't think of a team that has signed 9 new first team squadders in a window before though?

Also dunno about minimal disruption. Based on quantifiables such as game time/contributions to actual results, yeah sure. But all 9 of those players will have close mates, be part of cliques, maybe offer something in training or whatnot that we don't know or can't see. Them leaving will impact on players who don't leave, who do start games and play regularly in ways that we won't know.

I'd ship the lot as well mate, but don't think we will even come close for all of those reasons: I) disruption to squad; II) actual effort; and III) players unwilling to leave/no buyers

Fair points.

Can't think of a team that has signed 9 new first team squadders in a window before though?

Also dunno about minimal disruption. Based on quantifiables such as game time/contributions to actual results, yeah sure. But all 9 of those players will have close mates, be part of cliques, maybe offer something in training or whatnot that we don't know or can't see. Them leaving will impact on players who don't leave, who do start games and play regularly in ways that we won't know.

I'd ship the lot as well mate, but don't think we will even come close for all of those reasons: I) disruption to squad; II) actual effort; and III) players unwilling to leave/no buyers
Well there aren't many examples of signing 9 players because it's a massive ask to do it, which is exactly the point i'm making! I'm fully aware it's not going to happen, I keep saying so.

Regarding the bold bit, again, this is literally the point i'm making. I don't care. If we were a good team with a solid foundation and pushing the top 6 this would be a concern. If we'd had this sort of upheaval in the Moyes years it would have been a disaster, but with this squad, why would it matter? We're 16th, we haven't finished higher than 10th for 3 years, there are regularly accusations of the team downing tools, not working hard enough, making themselves unavailable for selection etc, I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with cliques being broken up and all that jazz when we're in this position.

I'd imagine one or both of Richarlison & DCL will go in the summer to help with structuring finances (we have probably spent some of there money this January)
I cant imagine us selling 3 of our 4 centre halves and even if we wanted too, who would pay good money for Keane with 3 years left of his contract.
Same goes for Iwobi, Gomes & Gbamin! There wages will probably keep them here until there contract runs out!
Davies, if he is now out until the end of the season, again........no chance someone decides to spend money on him

Not sure about Richarlison and DCL anymore.

Under Benitez i think they both go...under Lampard perhaps they both stay?

Not 3 of 4 Centre backs...4 out of 5.

We need a 1st choice and Godfrey or Branthwaite competing to partner him. Along with one more to develop.

I absolutely agree - he has an awful lot going for him.

My only slight reservation (and it's only a vague hunch at the moment) is that because he's such a big unit of a lad, I'm not sure how quick he is on the turn and whether he'd be capable of playing a high line, which is something I'd expect to see more of under Lampard.

Apart from that, he's huge, two-footed (more so than anyone I can remember seeing here), comfortable on the ball and already showing good defensive instincts for someone so young.

If my fears are allayed about that speed on the turn, he genuinely looks like a massive talent and one we could do with progressing quickly.

I think he's pretty quick as weve seen, not sure about how he looks on the turn. He looks pretty athletic to me and so far ive not had any concerns.

Just hoping he can snare a starting spot in the remainder of the season.

This is real life not fifa - no way we're selling 9 of the first team squad. Too much disruption.

We won't sell both CBs, but hopefully Mikky Keane can pack his bags. Think we'll want to keep Holdgate as a squad player, but in the longer term he's got to go unless Lamps gets a tune out of him.

No-one is gonna buy Jean Powered Grenade. Gomes similar, big wages and can't tackle since the injury. Can see Davies going though, although I quite like having him around, for no real reason. However if we can get one of them out and a good CM in then that is good business. Don't know why we'd want to sell Allan - one of our better players and a transfer weakens the squad significantly. We need some experience in amongst all the young boys.

Can see Rondon being shown the door, but if we lose Tosun and don't get another Striker then he'll have to stay. Hope Iwobi goes but again, will anyone be willing to pay his wages? Got a feeling he'll run his contract down here.

We need to ship out at least one defender (Keane), one midfielder (Gomes/JPG/TD), and an attacker (Iwobi/Rondon) and replace them directly with quality.

Shipping the rest is a nice to have

@Lanolin makes some good points.

We dont miss any of the 6 players out of contract in the summer. How many of the 9 below do we miss?

Mina Keane Holgate Gomes Davies Iwobi Allan Gbamin Rondon

By my reckoning we will miss two players:

Both Allan and Mina's deals expire in 2023. Allan is 31 and Mina is frequently injured.

As i said in the post you replied to, even 'losing' all 15 players we still have an 18 man squad.

Heres how it would look:

GK: Pickford / Rotation / Backup
RB: Patterson / Coleman
CB: Godfrey / ???
CB: Branthwaite / ???
LB: Mykolenko / Nkounkou
DM: ??? / ???
CM: Doucoure / Onyango
AM: Alli / ???
LF: Richarlison / Dobbin
CF: DCL / ???
RF: Gray / Gordon / Townsend

Thats how we look after fifteen players are out...Lampard apparently prefers to work with smaller squads.

We could punt 15 players and we would only need 5 or 6 to complete the squad.

@Lanolin makes some good points.

We dont miss any of the 6 players out of contract in the summer. How many of the 9 below do we miss?

Mina Keane Holgate Gomes Davies Iwobi Allan Gbamin Rondon

By my reckoning we will miss two players:

Both Allan and Mina's deals expire in 2023. Allan is 31 and Mina is frequently injured.

As i said in the post you replied to, even 'losing' all 15 players we still have an 18 man squad.

Heres how it would look:

GK: Pickford / Rotation / Backup
RB: Patterson / Coleman
CB: Godfrey / ???
CB: Branthwaite / ???
LB: Mykolenko / Nkounkou
DM: ??? / ???
CM: Doucoure / Onyango
AM: Alli / ???
LF: Richarlison / Dobbin
CF: DCL / ???
RF: Gray / Gordon / Townsend

Thats how we look after fifteen players are out...Lampard apparently prefers to work with smaller squads.

We could punt 15 players and we would only need 5 or 6 to complete the squad.
The problem is Zat, you have 5 players in your above squad who have played 5 Everton games between them all, so its quite impossible to know if any of them are options or indeed better than the 9 players you suggest are surplus.

Merson talking up DCL to Arsenal

“They've got Aaron Ramsdale, Emile Smith Rowe, Bukayo Saka, Ben White - they could easily have five players in the England squad if they signed Calvert-Lewin.

Thats very impressive. Hopefully Lampard gets us a few gems and turns them into England players.

I think there is a possibility of a lot of movement to coincide the four expirings. But a truth that under the right stewardship could build some better appreciating players and squad improvement.

Richarlison is outbound by almost all indicators. Hopefully this season hasn't dipped the estimate that was floated of 75-80ish last summer. I love Richy but I cant think he will continue to hold that value, or as an individual be more beneficial than the 2 or 3 players his sale could bring in. Of course thats dependent on good signings, but regardless thats likely at least 60 million that could be reinvested.

I think DCL might get continued sniffs. This one is tricky, especially if/when Richy goes considering the potential goals lost, but I think there is a fair argument to keep open ears. He's integral but selling him at the right moment is one of the most important calculations the club has to get right. And at 25 discerning how his value will change as he enters his prime is critical. Especially if an exit is looming or likely the following summer anyway, its doing due diligence. Im not advocating a sale, but we shouldn't scoff at good offers either. If Arsenal best the 60 million number floated we have to really examine that with the general squad and next 3 years.

Those two players exits are partially IMO inevitable but also the catalyst for longterm stability and funds. The squad currently doesnt have really any other players attractive on the market to the point of bringing in profit for further deals. Some of the worst deals are on the back end which is good but as the league position shows the squad needs massive turnover in my opinion to avoid future relegation threats. The young and interesting flyers hopefully align and improve with the new gaffer and create some top end first team talent and sell on potentials. But correctly investing the profit from Richarlison and likely eventually Dom is possibly the largest single factor of us digressing or improving over the next 3 to 5 years. Knowing when at the highest price point is something we cant afford too mess up.

I think there is a possibility of a lot of movement to coincide the four expirings. But a truth that under the right stewardship could build some better appreciating players and squad improvement.

Richarlison is outbound by almost all indicators. Hopefully this season hasn't dipped the estimate that was floated of 75-80ish last summer. I love Richy but I cant think he will continue to hold that value, or as an individual be more beneficial than the 2 or 3 players his sale could bring in. Of course thats dependent on good signings, but regardless thats likely at least 60 million that could be reinvested.

I think DCL might get continued sniffs. This one is tricky, especially if/when Richy goes considering the potential goals lost, but I think there is a fair argument to keep open ears. He's integral but selling him at the riight moment is one oof the most important calculations the club has to get right. And at 25 discerning how his value will change as he enters his prime is critical. Especially if an exit is looming or likely the following summer anyway, its doing due diligence. Im not advocating a sale, but we shouldn't scoff at good offers either. If Arsenal best the 60 million number floated we have to really examine that with the general squad and next 3 years.

Those two players exits are partially IMO inevitable but also the catalyst for longterm stability and funds. The squad currently doesnt have really any other players attractive on the market to the point of bringing in profit for further deals. Some of the worst deals are on the back end which is good but as the league position shows the squad needs massive turnover in my opinion to avoid future relegation threats. The young and interesting flyers hopefully align and improve with the new gaffer and create some top end first team talent and sell on potentials. But correctly investing the profit from Richarlison and likely eventually Dom is possibly the largest single factor of us digressing or improving over the next 3 to 5 years. Knowing when at the highest price point is soomeething we cant afford too mess up.
Very good point - we absolutely cannot afford to mess up a major reinvestment again.

One thing that I keep coming back to in regards to DCL and Richy is that the decision to sell is going to be very much determined by their form the rest of the season. If Dom keeps getting injured and doesn't have time to return to form, there's little chance we would sell. He hasn't established himself as a top striker for long enough to demand a massive fee, plus he has a contract until 2025. For Richy the calculus is a bit different, because his contract runs to 2024. But he also will need to get some goals to increase his chance of being sold, in my opinion. Even if he was given assurances over last summer, unless they came directly from Kenwright or Moshiri it means nothing now. He also needs to get back into the Brazil team for the next set of qualifiers. He really established himself as one of their top players last summer. That increases his value a lot (I think).

Merson talking up DCL to Arsenal

“They've got Aaron Ramsdale, Emile Smith Rowe, Bukayo Saka, Ben White - they could easily have five players in the England squad if they signed Calvert-Lewin.

Thats very impressive. Hopefully Lampard gets us a few gems and turns them into England players.
Yeah, well we've got Pickford, Calvert-Lewin, Alli, errr Keane, ummm Townsend, uhhhhhh Godfrey, awlllll Delph..

OK, OK. You win (this time) Arsenal (shakes fist)

(But we'll see when our staunch Under 21 regulars Davies and Kenny become full internationals.....)

OK, OK. You still win Arsenal (a curse on you)

In all seriousness, add Gray Holgate and Gordon to that lot, we can field a team full of England full and Under 21 internationals. First time ever? (Even though half of them are awful....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back