Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
And so are we

Are Brentford, Brighton, Leeds and Forest or Palace, stronger right now than they finished last season?
undav looks good for brighton

given that they create 90 chances a game and barely score, they have now got a striker who has a great scoring record

brighton's style of football means that they will always create chances in games, they just didn't have the quality up front to convert them most of the time as they had welbeck and maupay at the end of them

Pretty much about the top three yup, Chelsea, arsenal and maybe one or two others who get lucky on injuries, form or signings etc battling it out fir the 4-7/8 spots, the rest anywhere from 8/9th to 20th really

What I can say is about 10 teams in this league right now if they had an injury run like we did last year (with var bummings on top) would have dropped out the division. Not even including the benetez toxic factor we had at the same time.
Lampards second half of the season last 9 or so games - and most of Carlos we where on a PPG that was basically around the European qualification spots.

Think we massively overestimate the quality in the league outside of 2-5 teams (depending on the season)

Sticking with 'if' we get 30+ games outta DCL and recruit say MGW, Gallacher and another similar level mid/forward (or both) then we'll actually be in the European mix come April

If any of the bottom half teams are hit with the injuries and refereeing calls we had last year they’re gone. For most of these teams if they lose even one of their top players they’re in trouble.

Last season was a perfect storm for us of anything that could go wrong going wrong:

Managerial change preseason disrupting the transfer window and pre season

FFP constraints stopping us spending

Long term injuries to Mina, DCL, Richarlison (plus Brazil fatigue), Doucoure, Gray, Townsend, Godfrey, Delph, Davies, DvB

Managerial change in January impacting that window

Fan anger at the board room

A huge number of absolutely preposterous refereeing decisions going against the team at utterly crucial moments (City, Liverpool, Allan red card, Brentford)

Plus severe bad luck (how many absolute worldie finishes/ deflected flukes) did we concede that season (the second Palace goal for example was an utter joke)

Given all that we still didn’t go down. Even if we went exactly as we are now, we’d have a settled team under Lampard with less injuries and a far better chance of getting points than last season.

As it is we’ll probably get rid of a few more wasters and hopefully bring in one or two more who can contribute. We won’t be winning anything but hopefully mid table beckons

Probably, no, probably, yes, yes
Leeds lost Phillips and are losing Rafinha mate by a way their two best players - they've replaced them with nowhere near the same quality.

Brentford have for sure not replaced Ericksen, without him last season they would have went down by April. Forest lost their linchpin back to united after his loan, dont think they've strengthened really. Palace lost their POTS and have replaced him with Dacoure who tbf looks great on YouTube ?

What's incorrect in the poat mate?
There is currently no reason for any everton supporter to be anyway optimistic for the season ahead based on what the situation is currently. Things may change but history and any credible links at all say we are still a mess from top to bottom. So I don't think people are panicking or over reacting at all tbf. We struggled last season and all indicators at the moment say that we will again

undav looks good for brighton

given that they create 90 chances a game and barely score, they have now got a striker who has a great scoring record

brighton's style of football means that they will always create chances in games, they just didn't have the quality up front to convert them most of the time as they had welbeck and maupay at the end of them
Agree but can't discount they've lost there best player Bissouma and are about to lose their next best in Cucurella

There is currently no reason for any everton supporter to be anyway optimistic for the season ahead based on what the situation is currently. Things may change but history and any credible links at all say we are still a mess from top to bottom. So I don't think people are panicking or over reacting at all tbf. We struggled last season and all indicators at the moment say that we will again
Ok devil's advocate time, in the past 7/8 months the transfer we have made.

Immediately replaced the starting left back with a very good younger player.
Finally brought in a Coleman replacement at RB (4 seasons later than we should have mind) again one whose young with potential to develop well.
Loaned in a player needed fir Lanpards system (yeah VdB was injured and not very good)
Brought in Dele - a player who does have creativity and can score (again a bad bad weakness in the squad)
Brought in a very reliable CB in Tarkowski who tops every metric almost - including ones we are terrible at (set pieces etc) who also is very reliable fitness wise (a huge problem at cb for us) and who is a leader (again something we hugely lack at the back / arguably everywhere tbh)

Would I have lived us to have brought in more - ofc - but does the last 5-6 transfers in give me optimism that we may finally be trying to recruit in the right manner and actually with a bit of a plan - yup.

Time will show if I'm wrong

Breaking it down to people panicking.

We lost our best player (arguable as I'd say Pickford is that and DCL when fit also ahead of Richy)

Brentford have lost the player that pretty much kept them up and was by a mile there best player in Ericksen
Leeds have or are about to lose their two best players.
West Ham are spending money but with the shadow of it being 'recouped' by selling Rice later in the window
Chelsea have effectively had their entire defence and strikers walk out for nothing.
United have lost there best player again for nothing.
Palace lost there best player last season when he returned back from his loan.
Villa are doing an us from 5 years back and buying overpriced and ageing dross by and large and if Gerrard was t a media lovie then questions would be getting asked as his record so far given the spend has been rubbish.
Wolves owners have pulled the plug on spending, pretty much stated they are sell to buy.
Saints are in an absolute mess and second half of last season like wolves where in relegation form.
Fulham are managed by Silva ?
Forest are a poor side and have massive holes now they've lost the loan players they had last season.
Brighton - lost their best player also.
Leicester- manager who looks on borrowed time now, losing one if their key players in Tielmans and Vardy getting older and more injury prone every season.

So all the doom and gloom from some about doomed to a relegation fight is kinda ignoring 1.that the window only opened a week and a half ago,and 2. That over half the teams in the league have problems themselves

You lost me at DCL being better than Richi.

Ok devil's advocate time, in the past 7/8 months the transfer we have made.

Immediately replaced the starting left back with a very good younger player.
Finally brought in a Coleman replacement at RB (4 seasons later than we should have mind) again one whose young with potential to develop well.
Loaned in a player needed fir Lanpards system (yeah VdB was injured and not very good)
Brought in Dele - a player who does have creativity and can score (again a bad bad weakness in the squad)
Brought in a very reliable CB in Tarkowski who tops every metric almost - including ones we are terrible at (set pieces etc) who also is very reliable fitness wise (a huge problem at cb for us) and who is a leader (again something we hugely lack at the back / arguably everywhere tbh)

Would I have lived us to have brought in more - ofc - but does the last 5-6 transfers in give me optimism that we may finally be trying to recruit in the right manner and actually with a bit of a plan - yup.

Time will show if I'm wrong
Maybe. But we are 3 and half weeks from the start of the season. Have signed a centre half , lost our most influential player and are on our pre season tour now with new faces not been integrated Into the squad . At this stage i think it's safe enough to assume that by the Chelsea game we won't be any stronger with our starting 11 then we were at the end of last season when we were hanging on.

Breaking it down to people panicking.

We lost our best player (arguable as I'd say Pickford is that and DCL when fit also ahead of Richy)

Brentford have lost the player that pretty much kept them up and was by a mile there best player in Ericksen
Leeds have or are about to lose their two best players.
West Ham are spending money but with the shadow of it being 'recouped' by selling Rice later in the window
Chelsea have effectively had their entire defence and strikers walk out for nothing.
United have lost there best player again for nothing.
Palace lost there best player last season when he returned back from his loan.
Villa are doing an us from 5 years back and buying overpriced and ageing dross by and large and if Gerrard was t a media lovie then questions would be getting asked as his record so far given the spend has been rubbish.
Wolves owners have pulled the plug on spending, pretty much stated they are sell to buy.
Saints are in an absolute mess and second half of last season like wolves where in relegation form.
Fulham are managed by Silva ?
Forest are a poor side and have massive holes now they've lost the loan players they had last season.
Brighton - lost their best player also.
Leicester- manager who looks on borrowed time now, losing one if their key players in Tielmans and Vardy getting older and more injury prone every season.

So all the doom and gloom from some about doomed to a relegation fight is kinda ignoring 1.that the window only opened a week and a half ago,and 2. That over half the teams in the league have problems themselves
This post completely dismisses the good work many of these sides have already done in the market and makes rather fanciful leaps in other areas (Rice is very unlikely to leave West Ham this summer for example).

Our situation is far worse than almost all of the sides on this list.

See the club has briefed the ECHO on the state of play in transfer window (in my opinion):

Weird for journos to not be reporting on why we are is such a sorry state. Can't remember a single article from that rag asking difficult questions of the board and owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back