Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winks and Gilmour would be a massive improvement on Gbamin, Davies and Gomes. Get them both in.
So would Thomsen, Nyarko and the Everton version of John Collins. No high ceiling there.
Winks would only be a partial improvement and not one worth 20 million of Saint Bill's pocket money from Mosh.
Gilmour I totally agree with. There was a good shout earlier of Knight from Derby. Toss them a tenner and a lock of Tom Davies hair and we could get him.

Physical presence is becoming the stick to beat Gilmour (or Winks) with but I think if you play 3 at the back the extra cover does allow you some leeway to play primarily footballing sixes- especially when you have an athletic CB like a Godfrey who can quickly step up to put challenges in in midfield when required.

Our biggest issue is a lack of footballing ability in the centre of the park and someone like Gilmour helps solve that. Our ball retention last season was terrible but the more we can retain it the less we need to regain it. A big physical clogger might not be the 6 we need at all.

Physical presence is becoming the stick to beat Gilmour (or Winks) with but I think if you play 3 at the back the extra cover does allow you some leeway to play primarily footballing sixes- especially when you have an athletic CB like a Godfrey who can quickly step up to put challenges in in midfield when required.

Our biggest issue is a lack of footballing ability in the centre of the park and someone like Gilmour helps solve that. Our ball retention last season was terrible but the more we can retain it the less we need to regain it. A big physical clogger might not be the 6 we need at all.
Pressure in tight spaces, that’s what the modern 6 is there for

Preferring Gilmour over Winks: that's just tuppence ha'penny looking down on tuppence.

No club with any ambition would touch either with a very long excrement-tipped stick.

It's about opinion mate, Gilmour has great potential, you don't think so that's fine

Unless he changes fundamentally the way he coaches, Lampard will not be looking for 'tacklers' or traditional ball winners in midfield, he'll prioritize players who can press well - Gilmour, Gallacher, MGW, Broja - 4 of the more serious linked players last season all rated highly in those metrics

We definitely need passing ability in the midfield. Someone who can take the ball under pressure and use it well would make a big difference to us. We also need positional discipline and awareness though, which is probably more of a concern with Gilmour for me than the physicality thing. One of the reasons Delph made a difference when he came back in last year was as simple as him being where he was supposed to be when he was supposed to be there.

I’m not hung up on the physical aspect but it’s worth remembering that we’d potentially only be a couple of injuries/suspensions away from having him in there next to Davies and Gomes or something and suddenly then you do start to look very lightweight.

….if the links are correct, Gilmour coming in would surely represent how Lampard wants to play. It might not suit many posters on here (I’m a bit underwhelmed myself) but at least it supports a playing strategy Lampard wants to transition to.

He has looked terrific in games, as a youngster I remember him being very good against the Reds but then he struggled at Norwich.

He looks a player who will operate with footballers on the same wavelength. He will need blend, it’s a different style we’re moving to.

Dowell got more game time at Norwich than Gilmore.
Gilmour played double the amount of minutes Dowell did in the PL last season.
d.webp

Mad to think some people are hoping a lad who couldn't do the business for Norwich will somehow become our midfield maestro. That's how far we have fallen. Being lightweight isn't his only issue.

He played 2 through balls in 24 Premier league games last season. Created 1 big chance and got 1 assist in total from his 1,136 passes (235 backwards passes / 337 forward passes / the rest sideways). He conceded as many penalties as provided assists. He had 18 shots in his 24 games with 33.3% of them on target.

Doucoure's statistics are better in almost every category when breaking it down proportionally. And he still gets a lot of stick on here.

I'd back him if he came to us but he isn't the answer for me. Norwich fans generally hated him and any Google of his name in relation to them is generally negative. So why is he good enough for us?

We're a far cry from NSNO these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back