Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mad to think some people are hoping a lad who couldn't do the business for Norwich will somehow become our midfield maestro. That's how far we have fallen. Being lightweight isn't his only issue.

He played 2 through balls in 24 Premier league games last season. Created 1 big chance and got 1 assist in total from his 1,136 passes (235 backwards passes / 337 forward passes / the rest sideways). He conceded as many penalties as provided assists. He had 18 shots in his 24 games with 33.3% of them on target.

Doucoure's statistics are better in almost every category when breaking it down proportionally. And he still gets a lot of stick on here.

I'd back him if he came to us but he isn't the answer for me. Norwich fans generally hated him and any Google of his name in relation to them is generally negative. So why is he good enough for us?

We're a far cry from NSNO these days.
He. Is. A. Holding. Midfielder.

Doucoure isn't

He. Is. A. Holding. Midfielder.

Doucoure isn't
He's not really tbf

He can play as a deep-lying playmaker type in a possession-based system though which is what this side needs.

But it also needs genuine athleticism in midfield. It'd be great to get those attributes in one player, but the ones that do exist are very expensive.

So it probably means us getting two players in midfield and Everton do want two midfielders.

He's not really tbf

He can play as a deep-lying playmaker type in a possession-based system though which is what this side needs.

But it also needs genuine athleticism in midfield. It'd be great to get those attributes in one player, but the ones that do exist are very expensive.

So it probably means us getting two players in midfield and Everton do want two midfielders.
Depends how you categorise it.

At Chelsea Lampard played him a number of times as the deeper lying of three central midfielders. That doesn't make him a Fabinho type, more of a Jorginho. Don't get me wrong, he's not that level, but it's still a holding midfielder in my vernacular.

You didn't post a single defensive statistic mate. You were criticising his lack of goals and assists for a lad who plays as a number 6

Fair enough.

v Doucoure

Half as many blocks
11 less interceptions
34 less tackles
22 less tackles won
22 less aerial battles won

Doucoure played 6 games more so even with a weighting his stats are worse. Maybe Doucoure should be the 6 and we look for something different?

Fair enough.

v Doucoure

Half as many blocks
11 less interceptions
34 less tackles
22 less tackles won
22 less aerial battles won

Doucoure played 6 games more so even with a weighting his stats are worse. Maybe Doucoure should be the 6 and we look for something different?
It’s about passes and ball retention, not blocks

It’s about passes and ball retention, not blocks

He asked me to quote defensive stats.

Passes and ball retention like who else in the league? Sounds like we want a crab if 71% of his passes are sidewards or backwards. Most other players with similar attributes offer more defensively or offensively.

Pressure in tight spaces, that’s what the modern 6 is there for
That is one thing that he really does excel at from when I've seen. He's comfortable under pressure and knows how to use leverage and close ball retention to move past pressers, keeping it moving forward. At least he did in the stretch with Chelsea in 19-20 when he did well, I didn't see him at Norwich at all. Does seem to be what Lampard wants out of that position. Not what I'd prefer, but it can work especially in a midfield three.

Reminds me a little of Leon Osman does Gilmour,technically a fine footballer,possibly lacking physicality,however as much stick as Ossie took here over his career,I would love him in our midfield these days,so “if” this lad comes in who obviously Lampard knows a lot about,let’s give him our support?

I called this yesterday.

Has anyone called him the Scottish Leon Osman yet?

Chelsea are quite light in centre midfield really, so I don't think Gallagher is a goer for us.

I'm predicting both Gilmour and Winks on loan. Gilmour in time to be ineligible for the season opener, and Winks after nobody else tries to pay a fee for him on Deadline Day.

Signing only Gilmour would be too much of a risk, as there's every chance that he won't even get a game, whereas we know Winks is good enough to stink the place out every week.

This is the level we're operating at.

He asked me to quote defensive stats.

Passes and ball retention like who else in the league? Sounds like we want a crab if 71% of his passes are sidewards or backwards. Most other players with similar attributes offer more defensively or offensively.
The better teams in this league do not judge their midfield players on the number of blocks they make.

We can’t keep the ball and we can’t get out of our defensive 3rd most of the time.

If you’re making blocks all the time there’s something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back