Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we remain close this season if no further sales happen (but thereafter are in much better situations).

The PL relationship was voluntary, and in a quid pro quo, the club may feel it best to continue to work closely with the league. You're right, the league cant dictate anything to us, as no rules have been broken, but I just wonder if both parties are working closely.

I think we were sanctioned in the sense, they applied the rule of oversight of our budget and spending, I posted the rule a while back ago, though I’d say it was an undercover thing rather than a charge, because in reality if it’s public, it handicaps a club in terms of the market I.e. alerting others to a fire sale, influencing the market etc - Levy copped it.

Formally I think the PL colluded with us accepting our accounts, I went through them and we really took the mick, I can understand why Burnley and Leeds were furious. But Turkeys don’t vote for Xmas, ultimately the PL is in the business of selling itself, it does them no good, disimproving the spectacle which happens, when you shackle or torpedo a club of our level, status fan base, budget and romance. I’m not saying it’s right, but I’m happy it’s us that benefit. Same way the scab 6 got away with a finger wagging, when they threatened to destroy domestic football.

Just my honest opinion.

Last edited:
Just trying to be helpful mate. I was looking at the squad photo and I didn’t see a single ginger in it. Got to say it worried me.
Scott McKenna is a very decent player. He has a lot of attributes that would suit the PL but I would think he would be quite expensive, particularly now that he is in the PL. About 3 or 4 years ago Villa had multiple bids turned down for the guy, I think the highest was about 7.5m. I think he is a good call for any team in the PL outside of the top 6

Scott McKenna is a very decent player. He has a lot of attributes that would suit the PL but I would think he would be quite expensive, particularly now that he is in the PL. About 3 or 4 years ago Villa had multiple bids turned down for the guy, I think the highest was about 7.5m. I think he is a good call for any team in the PL outside of the top 6
Depends on his contract situation and how Forest do in the Premiership. If they get relegated and his contract is coming to an end, he maybe picked up like Tarkowski was. If he turns out to be good enough.

Well yes, but some fans expectations are crazy. All these names being linked, rejects from all over the shop, are all we can afford apparently. Are we expecting top strikers to come here for £1.5m or something? ( Btw, I’m confused as to how much we can actually spend)
The only expectations I see fans having are that we actually go out and scout some players, not just here but in Europe also. There is a wealth of talent out there if we would bother to go and look for it.

Gilmore loan with £10 million option to buy apparently
I predicted earlier in this thread that no-one is buying Gilmour for much more than £10 million at this stage in his career. Glad to be proven correct.

Before I get too cocky it'll be just my luck that this 'apparently' is incorrect. £25 million bid for Gilmour from Everton incoming.

Thinking if we are going to get Cornet, it may depend on Burnley agreeing a deal for Callum O Hare, they won’t want to be negotiating that with Coventry knowing they have 17.5 mill in their back pocket.

He's an absolute bomb scare. This can't be the level we are pitching at...surely...hopefully
My God, have we sunk to the level of considering Scott McKenna. He’s just a big lump, watched him many a time in the SPL, is big and can head it, would maybe get away with playing for Burnley but jeeeeez, nowhere near good enough - you’re quite right.

One for the future, perhaps.Scott McKenna 25/26 y/o Nottingham Forest. Left-Sided centre halve. Joined from Aberdeen 3 seasons ago, adjusted to the Championship and helped win the team promotion. 6ft 5, strong, decent pace. I think he has been the fans player of the year last 2 seasons. It’ll be his 1st season in the Premiership, so it’ll be interesting to see how he handles the step up in quality. He’s regularly in the Scotland squad, although admittedly Centre Half is one of the weakest aspects of our squad. But I expect him to become a regular starter in the national team in the near future. Maybe one to keep an eye on and think about taking from Forest if the don’t manage to stay up, and he has done well.
It should not be like that. And it has little to do with the current central defenders in the squad.

It can't be stressed enough how important stability, system and confidence are for central defenders.

There are so many examples with good defenders underperforming in a weak team and OK players looking great in good teams.

Leicester have Jonny Evans. He made Harry Maguire a £80M player. The next season Söyüncü looked fantastic next to Evans. Before they signed a teenager from France that looked world class from day 1 in Premier League. Same with James Justin. But as soon as Evans is missing from the starting eleven, the Leicester defence is [Poor language removed].

Rudiger became a scapegoat when Lampard was fired from Chelsea. He had been poor formonths. Lots of Chelsea fans hoped to never see him play for Chelsea again. Looked like a new player from the day Tuchel came in and was probably the league's best central defender in 2021.

Eric Dier was shocking after he told Mourinho that he no longer wanted to play midfield. Same under Nuno. Since Conte was hired, Dier has probably been the best central defender with UK passport.

Varane was among the best central defenders in the world for years. World champion. 4 times Champions League winner. The United defence with Varane was the worst defence they have had for decades.

Mason Holgate was trusted by Big Dunc after Silva was fired. He did very well. He became Ancelotti's first choice. He was voted player's player for the season. Covid-19 stopped his England call-up. He injured himself in preseason two years ago. Why Everton signed Godfrey. Back from injury Holgate struggled. Moved around. Often had to play out of position. Since Lampard came in Holgate has been a lot better than what he gets credit for.

Godfrey was good his first season. Underwhelming last season (as most Everton players were). Will improve if he can stay fit.

Mina is for Everton what Evans is for Leicester. Not a brilliant defender, but players around him look so much better and more assured when he plays. Two seasons in a row now where Everton with and without Mina have been two different teams.

Keane is the one I struggle with. But if the defensive problems Everton has as a team are fixed, I am sure he can do a job.

Holgate's 19/20 season and Godfrey's 20/21 season were better than any Everton player last season. They would have walked into the defence and improved better teams than Everton. A poor season for a non-functional team doesn't mean they are bad players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back