Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
My God, have we sunk to the level of considering Scott McKenna. He’s just a big lump, watched him many a time in the SPL, is big and can head it, would maybe get away with playing for Burnley but jeeeeez, nowhere near good enough - you’re quite right.
Well we will get a chance to see this season if he can make the grade. I’ve watched a bit of Forest last season and Scotland when he’s played, and his passing out of defence was pretty decent. He’s been playing on the left side of a back 3 with Forest so he’s had to get used to playing the ball out of defence into midfield. Actually saw him make an overlapping run a couple of times.

I don't know about you lads but another issue with getting nobody of note in before the season is you can't muster enthusiasm or any hope that this season will be anything other than another struggle. We finished 16th and sold our best player that's all I keep thinking negative or realistic? Yes Tarks strengthens the defence a bit but the midfield is a calamity and we badly lack threat now Richy has gone. It's like the board have hung the manager, DOF and fans out to dry despite all our efforts to keep us up.

Well we will get a chance to see this season if he can make the grade. I’ve watched a bit of Forest last season and Scotland when he’s played, and his passing out of defence was pretty decent. He’s been playing on the left side of a back 3 with Forest so he’s had to get used to playing the ball out of defence into midfield. Actually saw him make an overlapping run a couple of times.
Tbf, I didn’t see him last season other than the odd game for Scotland. Looks distinctly championship to me but guess we’ll see ??

It should not be like that. And it has little to do with the current central defenders in the squad.

It can't be stressed enough how important stability, system and confidence are for central defenders.

There are so many examples with good defenders underperforming in a weak team and OK players looking great in good teams.

Leicester have Jonny Evans. He made Harry Maguire a £80M player. The next season Söyüncü looked fantastic next to Evans. Before they signed a teenager from France that looked world class from day 1 in Premier League. Same with James Justin. But as soon as Evans is missing from the starting eleven, the Leicester defence is [Poor language removed].

Rudiger became a scapegoat when Lampard was fired from Chelsea. He had been poor formonths. Lots of Chelsea fans hoped to never see him play for Chelsea again. Looked like a new player from the day Tuchel came in and was probably the league's best central defender in 2021.

Eric Dier was shocking after he told Mourinho that he no longer wanted to play midfield. Same under Nuno. Since Conte was hired, Dier has probably been the best central defender with UK passport.

Varane was among the best central defenders in the world for years. World champion. 4 times Champions League winner. The United defence with Varane was the worst defence they have had for decades.

Mason Holgate was trusted by Big Dunc after Silva was fired. He did very well. He became Ancelotti's first choice. He was voted player's player for the season. Covid-19 stopped his England call-up. He injured himself in preseason two years ago. Why Everton signed Godfrey. Back from injury Holgate struggled. Moved around. Often had to play out of position. Since Lampard came in Holgate has been a lot better than what he gets credit for.

Godfrey was good his first season. Underwhelming last season (as most Everton players were). Will improve if he can stay fit.

Mina is for Everton what Evans is for Leicester. Not a brilliant defender, but players around him look so much better and more assured when he plays. Two seasons in a row now where Everton with and without Mina have been two different teams.

Keane is the one I struggle with. But if the defensive problems Everton has as a team are fixed, I am sure he can do a job.

Holgate's 19/20 season and Godfrey's 20/21 season were better than any Everton player last season. They would have walked into the defence and improved better teams than Everton. A poor season for a non-functional team doesn't mean they are bad players.
I was referring to the Scotland squad. Compared to other areas, we don’t have a great depth of Centre Half’s playing at a decent level. We have players in most positions that are in decent Premiership and a few in top Premiership teams. As far as Centre half’s go, last season we had Grant Hanley at Norwich and Cooper at Leeds. Tierney left centre half. Hendry at Club Brugge, Souttar just moved from Hearts to Rangers and McKenna at Forest. Now Hanley has been relegated and McKenna promoted.

I don't know about you lads but another issue with getting nobody of note in before the season is you can't muster enthusiasm or any hope that this season will be anything other than another struggle. We finished 16th and sold our best player that's all I keep thinking negative or realistic? Yes Tarks strengthens the defence a bit but the midfield is a calamity and we badly lack threat now Richy has gone. It's like the board have hung the manager, DOF and fans out to dry despite all our efforts to keep us up.
Our owner said we are trying to buy players.
Our manager said we are trying to buy players.
No doubt our CEO, Chairman and DoF will be saying it soon.

Nobody has been left out to dry, yet.

Our owner said we are trying to buy players.
Our manager said we are trying to buy players.
No doubt our CEO, Chairman and DoF will be saying it soon.

Nobody has been left out to dry, yet.
Saying your signing players won't help us in the first five games. Sign them. I get the financial issues but sorry too much mismanagement at this club to have faith in what the owner says.

We’re almost 2 weeks off the first game of the season and any potential reported targets look likely to be staying or going elsewhere, maybe we wasn’t even interested in zinchenko, broja. or MGW but right now I’m not feeling at all confident going into the season with the loss of richarlison and only adding tarkowski hope we can do some business soon and get a couple in before the first game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back