Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has, but the club appears to be so heavily constrained in terms of finances that we're now having to play it safe. It's about balancing risk.

I'm still confident that we'll bring some names in before the window closes although whether it'll be enough in terms of quality and quantity is the concern.

We can't recklessly spend to help with suvival as spending may lead to points deductions and as a result dint our chances of survival.
It's tough to say because we don't actually have much in the way of concrete information with only one signing. But I don't think they've adjusted the recruitment strategy at all.

Tarkowski is cheap at least but is still an older player who at absolute best is an average player in this league and who has no upside. He's also come from a team that doesn't play up the pitch and is going to have growing pains if we try to do that with him. Or he just flat out won't be able to.

The rumors aren't much better. MGW was a refreshing one and I think we rightly weren't willing to pay over the top for him which is also good. Tough to say if that's by choice or not though. The rest of the rumors, Cornet, Dennis, Zinchenko, Winks and now Dendoncker and Barkley are all in the same bucket of PL players who are 25+ years old. There isn't value there. And frankly there isn't a lot of ability either (maybe Zinchenko aside, we'll see how he gets on in midfield).

I just don't know that we've really seen the light yet, that trying to scrape talent out of unwanted or relegated PL players and making that into a team that can comfortably survive isn't a plan that is going to work. If it is a plan at all.

Did we spend £500m

Yes

The end

Oh and lol for saying Doucoure and DCL have the same impact to those players

I forgot your penchant for dumbing down every discussion to a level you can understand and twisting the point of argument so far that it barely relates any more to the original point

Yeah I look forward to clubs around us in the bottom half being unimpacted by long term injuries to their top players in key positions because they have a good culture.

So the Newcastle purchase of Nick Pope was done on instalments, which Burnley are then borrowing on to get the money up front. Presumably we are looking to structure the Cornet deal similarly, but I imagine they are holding out on us since they feel we screwed them. Still, shows it's not uncommon for deals to be done that way, even with Newcastle's much higher budget.

At this stage I don’t know why they’re not just sticking names in a bowl and randomly drawing them and offering £2m upfront, we’re that desperate.
index.webp

It's tough to say because we don't actually have much in the way of concrete information with only one signing. But I don't think they've adjusted the recruitment strategy at all.

Tarkowski is cheap at least but is still an older player who at absolute best is an average player in this league and who has no upside. He's also come from a team that doesn't play up the pitch and is going to have growing pains if we try to do that with him. Or he just flat out won't be able to.

The rumors aren't much better. MGW was a refreshing one and I think we rightly weren't willing to pay over the top for him which is also good. Tough to say if that's by choice or not though. The rest of the rumors, Cornet, Dennis, Zinchenko, Winks and now Dendoncker and Barkley are all in the same bucket of PL players who are 25+ years old. There isn't value there. And frankly there isn't a lot of ability either (maybe Zinchenko aside, we'll see how he gets on in midfield).

I just don't know that we've really seen the light yet, that trying to scrape talent out of unwanted or relegated PL players and making that into a team that can comfortably survive isn't a plan that is going to work. If it is a plan at all.
I think Tarkowski will be a good addition to our defence if he's utilised properly, so in that sense I don't think it's a bad deal at all. In fact, it's quite sensible.

Yet the rumours part I agree with, but again I think that comes down to the financial situation that we're in and is ultimately of our (well the owner's) making.

We have to make savings to remedy the mess we're in, so we're trying to be shrewd. As I mentioned previously, I think we're trying to buy late to save on wages.

I think the owner wants to ride out this mess for the next year or two and sell up. We tried spending big with Dele and VDB and look how that turned out.

I really like Dendoncker, think he'd be a very shrewd signing if for around £15m and on a 3 year deal.

He's a purely defensive-midfielder who has shown he can play as centre-back as well (in a 2 or 3). Out-and-out ball-winner, he adds nothing at all creatively (that's a GIGANTIC hole we have to fill) but we need someone to go in that middle-three and just get bloody stuck in also. He'd do that, a real steady-eddy player. Reminds me a bit of Carlsey actually, never a headline-grabber but by-God did he do some absolutely vital jobs in the side.

Lage tried him as a box-to-box type last year and it was obviously not what he was suited too so don't let any recent stats be how you judge him. I think he'd be solid as a rock for us.

I think Tarkowski will be a good addition to our defence if he's utilised properly, so in that sense I don't think it's a bad deal at all. In fact, it's quite sensible.

Yet the rumours part I agree with, but again I think that comes down to the financial situation that we're in and is ultimately of our (well the owner's) making.

We have to make savings to remedy the mess we're in, so we're trying to be shrewd. As I mentioned previously, I think we're trying to buy late to save on wages.

I think the owner wants to ride out this mess for the next year or two and sell up. We tried spending big with Dele and VDB and look how that turned out.
I did not like how Tarkowski played on Wednesday. I just don't believe that a guy can go from Burnley's system for 6 years to something else and not have some struggles.

I don't think he's advocating spending big. Quite the opposite. I think Dele and VDB are exactly the type of deals he's saying we should avoid, not advocating doing more of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back