Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody can say one way or the other whether they bid for Gordon and anybody who comes on here and says defo is still guessing unless it's tuchel or lampard. High probability that they did but defo not confirmed either way. You say take anything over £30m for Gordon but Chelsea have just bought a defender for £70m which closely followed another purchase of a defender for £65m. To have sold our one sellable asset for £30m would have been utter madness whether you or I like him or not. He is worth a whole lot more in the present market.
I do like him. But I am convinced we will go down and need to invest money in multiple areas in order to avoid that fate. With how deals are recorded etc. an income over £30m can be spread to acquire more of the players we need (combined with what is left of our budget).

Put simply, I would love to be in a position to keep Gordon and see him grow here. But Gordon will not keep this awful squad up. We need to think about the bigger picture here and, due to years of mismanagement, that may result in taking less than we could hold out for for an academy product, in order to secure our PL status.

Don't understand why others are spending hundreds of millions and staying within the so called spending rules. Something phoney going on. Rules for some and not for others.
Not at all. Revenues are coming back up, but the sustainability rules haven't reverted to the way they were pre-COVID. This means that a lot of clubs have a lot of money to spend right now, if they wish. The new UEFA rules will throttle that somewhat for the top sides over the next three seasons, which is why most of them have been business as usual. The UEFA rules don't affect clubs that don't win a cup/finish top 5-7, depending on the cup winners.

Be a lot of all politicking alright mate, but i don’t think it’s impossible, eventually most of the league will be made up of very wealthy owners who may want the shackles of to privately invest to compete, it’s a billionaires playground now. I think their could be some appetite given the ESL thing, I think everyone got a fright there.

If it came to pass it would really make the league competitive as the sides that qualified for Europe would still be governed by the UEFA FFP, so would have to stat within limits.
I don't know. If the Saudis just wanted to win the league, they could probably do it with the shackles off. LIV proves that there are top players (in another sport) who will take their coin and miss out on the most prestigious competition(s) as a result. I can't see the Sheikh or FSG letting that happen. They're likely to vote for whatever they think will hobble Newcastle most, since the meaningful constraint for them will be the UEFA rule.

Anyway, point being all of this nonsense is why player prices are so inflated at the moment. It's likely to settle down somewhat over the next two seasons, as the bottom end of the market eventually won't be able to put in bids like the ones we're seeing and demand for more stringent spending restrictions is likely to grow as a result of this window.

We overspent because Moshiri wanted to get us to the top in the shortest possible time.
Nothing wrong with that but we should have spent more time improving the commercial side as well.
There was a distinct lack of oversight throughout.
Each managerial replacement has cost money in compensation and in making money available for the next managerial team.
Buying and paying players for far too much money that the club wasn’t generating.
No anti Everton plots , no secret agendas we simply mucked it up.
We became the Mr. Micawber of the PL and now we must spend time in debtors prison and ,hopefully, learn our lesson.

Not at all. Revenues are coming back up, but the sustainability rules haven't reverted to the way they were pre-COVID. This means that a lot of clubs have a lot of money to spend right now, if they wish. The new UEFA rules will throttle that somewhat for the top sides over the next three seasons, which is why most of them have been business as usual. The UEFA rules don't affect clubs that don't win a cup/finish top 5-7, depending on the cup winners.

I don't know. If the Saudis just wanted to win the league, they could probably do it with the shackles off. LIV proves that there are top players (in another sport) who will take their coin and miss out on the most prestigious competition(s) as a result. I can't see the Sheikh or FSG letting that happen. They're likely to vote for whatever they think will hobble Newcastle most, since the meaningful constraint for them will be the UEFA rule.

Anyway, point being all of this nonsense is why player prices are so inflated at the moment. It's likely to settle down somewhat over the next two seasons, as the bottom end of the market eventually won't be able to put in bids like the ones we're seeing and demand for more stringent spending restrictions is likely to grow as a result of this window.

It’s all subjective mate, we’re speculating on the dynamic, it doesn’t have to be all or nothing either, you could just increase the loss thresholds, which is probably far more likely to be politically acceptable as it improves the brand overall. To be honest I think, it’s the EFL and impact on the pyramid in the leagues below that will keep in in place - for now.

You Know the LIV thing is interesting, in the sense of, if sovereign wealth put its mind and funds to it - it could probably provide a competition to rival the PL, indeed maybe Uefa and FIFA conceivably, football could conceivably go the way of golf, whole clubs could break away - I mean that was the concept behind the ESL. You’d soon see Profit and sustainability binned then. I don’t think that’s impossible, in fact it might be more likely then we would assume.

To be honest, I think in the future, players prices will become irrelevant, I think in time players will realise they can cut out all the middle men and just run their contracts, deals will be less time, wages will be higher, transfer fees will get rarer and rarer, that’s just my long term forecast. You will see more deals like the Lingard one this year.

Last edited:

If we want Gakpo, we will probably wait for somebody to agree a fee and match it. Seems to be the strategy this summer.

It’s all subjective mate, we’re speculating on the dynamic, it doesn’t have to be all or nothing either, you could just increase the loss thresholds, which is probably far more likely to be politically acceptable as it improves the brand overall. To be honest I think, it’s the EFL and impact on the pyramid in the leagues below that will keep in in place - for now.

You Know the Liv thing is interesting, in the sense of if sovereign wealth put its mind and funds to it - it could probably provide a competition to rival the PL, indeed maybe maybe Uefa and FIFA conceivably, football could conceivably go the way of golf. Youd soon see Profit and sustainability binned then. I don’t think that’s impossible, in fact it might be more likely then we would assume.

To be honest, I think in the future, players prices will become irrelevant, I think in time players will realise they can cut out all the middle men and just run their contracts, deals will be less time, wages will be higher, transfer fees will get rarer and rarer, that’s just my long term forecast. You will see more deals like the Lingard one this year.
Depends. You'll still see them hire lawyers come contract time, but the ones without significant commercial opportunities can get by without agents.

It's possible that we'll eventually see a two-market system where transfers are rarer and wages are higher for the majority of players, but the top young talents move on fees to get where they want to go. We already have the high-wage system with the superstars, who can largely call their shots with respect to wages and contracts, and rarely move in the prime of their careers.

For now, we're just going to have to deal with the present form of insanity, which we seem to be negotiating pretty well all things considered. Gueye and another good, inexpensive 'in' is probably enough for current purposes. It will be interesting to see whether we can find that piece on loan or not.

We overspent because Moshiri wanted to get us to the top in the shortest possible time.
Nothing wrong with that but we should have spent more time improving the commercial side as well.
There was a distinct lack of oversight throughout.
Each managerial replacement has cost money in compensation and in making money available for the next managerial team.
Buying and paying players for far too much money that the club wasn’t generating.
No anti Everton plots , no secret agendas we simply mucked it up.
We became the Mr. Micawber of the PL and now we must spend time in debtors prison and ,hopefully, learn our lesson.
True, but we also paid more than players were worth. Basically, selling clubs knew we had money and took advantage of that fact. The result is players like Sigurdsson. He was a 30M player we paid 45m for. Iwobi another example.

We were not an attractive enough destination for top players and so we paid over market for mid range quality.

Knowing what we know now the right answer would have been to throw that money at a top manager who could then attract the top talent. Like what we saw with Carlo.

Newcastle in a similar position now, though to an extent they seem more willing to walk away from bad deals than we were.

Oh, we also learned that Giroud's wife didn't like Liverpool.......what might have been if she had....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back