Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna have to disagree.

Gordon, for as amazing as he’s been this year, doesn’t have the final product in the final third. Still time to fix that.

Gray for as electric as he is when he’s on form, showed why lots let him go. Blighted with inconsistency.

Richarlison, absolute no brainer.

Iwobi, amazing to finish the year and if he carries fbat on, there’s no need.

But regardless of all that Cornet at £17.5m is excellent business for whoever gets him.

Cornet has no creativity. All of our wide players are superior in that regard.

Id say his value is £10mil and if we signed him for less and sold at a profit in 12months it may make sense as a backup.

For those who think £17.5mil is a bargain for a winger with 1 assist what would his true value be and whats the upside for a sale?

Cornet has no creativity. All of our wide players are superior in that regard.

Id say his value is £10mil and if we signed him for less and sold at a profit in 12months it may make sense as a backup.

For those who think £17.5mil is a bargain for a winger with 1 assist what would his true value be and whats the upside for a sale?

He offers so much going forward.

We’ve badly missed that all season, there’s a reason we’ve scored so little.

Iwobi, Gordon scored how many all season? He’s just a dangerous player. Perhaps £17.5m when were strapped is a stretch, but he’s a player I’d love at Everton personally.

I think we need to focus on younger players. We've got Tarkowski rumors so there is an exception. We've got Cornet who barely squeaks in (for me he's not young enough but let's give it the benefit of the doubt). At some point you have to stop making exceptions or you don't really have a philosophy.

But even ignoring all that we're not going anywhere signing players who aren't improving and who aren't going to get into any of the top eight or so sides. It's just a pointless waste of money even if he's a small upgrade today.
I fully agree we should have a solid recruitment plan in place over the long term. We should be looking at finding young talent before their peak and developing them as an absolute part of that plan.

However, the cold reality is we were a game away from relegation and our recruitment strategy this summer has to be first focused on brining in players that improve the squad day 1 and are relatively cheap because we’re broke. If it comes down to someone like Cornet or a 20 year old with potential who we can afford and also helps us immediately, then of course, sign that guy. I’m just not seeing a lot of those out there that wouldn’t be a massive risk given how precarious our position already is. Our goal next season isn’t top 8. It’s more like top 12 so we don’t have a sweat the last week of the season. Get there. Get some stability back. Then we can build more around young guns who will inevitably be hit or miss.

I fully agree we should have a solid recruitment plan in place over the long term. We should be looking at finding young talent before their peak and developing them as an absolute part of that plan.

However, the cold reality is we were a game away from relegation and our recruitment strategy this summer has to be first focused on brining in players that improve the squad day 1 and are relatively cheap because we’re broke. If it comes down to someone like Cornet or a 20 year old with potential who we can afford and also helps us immediately, then of course, sign that guy. I’m just not seeing a lot of those out there that wouldn’t be a massive risk given how precarious our position already is. Our goal next season isn’t top 8. It’s more like top 12 so we don’t have a sweat the last week of the season. Get there. Get some stability back. Then we can build more around young guns who will inevitably be hit or miss.
I'm less convinced than you that a middle step is necessary.

Cornet is a very decent player, does everything pretty well and is versatile. He had a couple of high profile misses at the end of season of course, but 9 goals in that Burnley side is a good return and he was their only dangerous player in most games. I don't really care how he did in France, to be honest, we have enough evidence of his play in the PL. £17.5m would be good business, but probably not for us...we have to be investing all available money into CM and CB.

If Richarlison leaves, we have to replace him and there would be more money available. But Cornet is not who I would spend that money on - unless the goal was to spread it around. If Frank really wants to persist with the 343 (I hope he doesn't) Mykolenko and Cornet on the left could be a really good combination. Similar to how Coleman and Iwobi were used in the last several games. I hated it but it would be similar.
I believe Myko has played as a LCB in a 3 before, so if he does go 343 (I'm not a fan either but he seems to be) it would be definitely be an option to play Godfrey - Tarkowski - Mykolenko at the back, Cornet at LWB and Patterson / Iwobi at RWB. With Tarkowski free and Cornet available for less than we'll get for Kean alone that's a pretty big re-organisation of the defence for no net outlay, with good attacking wing backs on either side.

Fair enough. I just look at the current squad and have a vomit reflex. There’s a lot of work to do, and it won’t happen overnight, especially as we can’t spend any money.
I think the other difference is I just really don't see Cornet as moving the needle in a meaningful way.

He played in a Burnley team that play hoofball. Maybe in a side playing a different style of football he might do a bit better?

Like Lyon for example?

He scored 2 last season and had 5 assists. The year before he scored 4 and had 3 assists.

Thats in a weaker league in a comparatively far stronger side.

I’m not saying I want him. As we have players in that position. But he has had good season with a poor Burnley team. He has missed 1 or 2 sitters but that happens to everyone. And with regards to assists he is trying to supply Dross who miss chances regularly. I personally don’t want him but he has had a good season.

Id say his 9 goals reflect that hes had a good season. I think he should have had 15 goals really as hes missed a fair few 'easy' chances.

Burnley paid £13.5mil for him and they should make a profit.

But in a seasons time i cant see anyone wanting to pay over £17.5mil for him

Id rather sell Gray and go for a young replacement to be 3rd/4th choice behind Richarlison/Gordon with the potential to force his way into the team in 12months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back