Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s direct and carries the ball forward. He scores and assists and is clearly very highly rated in order for the conversation to have even progressed this far.

Which player(s) with a wealth of experience do you think we should bring in, instead?

“PL experience” is a footy agent’s equivalent of selling a house that’s “full of character”. It’s what you highlight when there are precious few obvious positives to point out. It’s what got us VdB, Alli and El Ghazi. Extend to “top level” or “big club” experience and you can blame it for Andre Gomes as well.
It's a difficult balance. We need a reset and a move to a younger team but I do see the argument that Gordon, Broja and Lewis-Potter as a front 3 might be going a little bit too far the other way. You don't have to be old to be experienced, having a front 3 with about 50 top level starts between them is asking a lot.

It's a difficult balance. We need a reset and a move to a younger team but I do see the argument that Gordon, Broja and Lewis-Potter as a front 3 might be going a little bit too far the other way. You don't have to be old to be experienced, having a front 3 with about 50 top level starts between them is asking a lot.
There's no way we sell both Richarlison and DCL. DCL will stay if we end up selling Richarlison

There's no way we sell both Richarlison and DCL. DCL will stay if we end up selling Richarlison
Maybe. I'm sure the club would prefer not to sell both but if they both want to go it might not be so simple. The other side of it is we probably don't have the money to sign the players mentioned if they aren't going to be key first teamers.

I don’t agree with you regarding devaluing our best player mate. He was signed for £35m rising to £50m so how on earth he is valued the same when he has proved that he’s our best player and becomes a starter for his national team that ranked number one in the world.
It really makes no odds what we value him at, does it? It will boil down to how much he agitated for a move and how much we’re offered.

My gut feeling - and it’s really no more than that - is that we’ll get nowhere near the £80m that a lot of people seem to be hoping for. We just finished 16th, the player seems to want to leave and he has two years left on his deal.

If we’re offered £55m, let’s say, then the choice is simple: we reject the offer and hope that he still decides to put a shift in, while accepting that his value will greatly diminish over the course of the next season regardless, or we accept and get on with the job of rebuilding the squad with the proceeds.

As much as we all love the guy, there’s no point at all in cutting off our nose to spite our face. If we turned down £50m+ (which would represent a healthy accounting profit) then we’d have nothing to reinvest into the squad and potentially a disgruntled player who will have only a year left on his contract when our next selling opportunity arises.

In that Martinez team I found Deulofeu to be super frustrating because he was so inconsistent and unpredictable and yet they were arguably huge positives to his game as well. I remember when he came on against Arsenal and scored the equaliser - their defenders were visibly terrified because we went at them ceaselessly.

That’s what we need more of in this squad. We’ve been so easy to defend against for years, now. If we can’t move the ball forward at pace it’s going to be another long old year. You don’t get that kind of movement from uninterested PL castoffs with the magic EXPERIENCE.
The players with experience we can attract will largely not be very good. There aren't many players who play 5 years in the PL and are good at it who then don't end up on one of the better teams. We're picking what is left. You go younger and you might find someone first.

I get the point you’re making, but just look at the number of young Championship players that have made the grade in recent years. Contrast that with the stream of utter, experienced garbage we’ve been forced to watch.

We’d still have Gray, Townsend, Alli and Rondon as attackers with experience, which I think helps my point!!

The players with experience we can attract will largely not be very good. There aren't many players who play 5 years in the PL and are good at it who then don't end up on one of the better teams. We're picking what is left. You go younger and you might find someone first.
Exactly this.

With our profile and our budget we can either go for experienced players who can’t get a sniff in their current teams (hitherto referred to on this forum as Big Six castoffs) or we take a flyer on some up and coming talent.

Neither carries any guarantees but we’ve shown beyond an absolute shadow that we’re very, very bad at identifying players in the former category that’ll help, and that we’re big fans of paying them wages that will be prohibitive to us getting rid if they don’t work out.

If we’re having to take a gamble either way, I’m voting we do the thing we HAVEN’T done time and time again so far, hoping for different results.

Exactly this.

With our profile and our budget we can either go for experienced players who can’t get a sniff in their current teams (hitherto referred to on this forum as Big Six castoffs) or we take a flyer on some up and coming talent.

Neither carries any guarantees but we’ve shown beyond an absolute shadow that we’re very, very bad at identifying players in the former category that’ll help, and that we’re big fans of paying them wages that will be prohibitive to us getting rid if they don’t work out.

If we’re having to take a gamble either way, I’m voting we do the thing we HAVEN’T done time and time again so far, hoping for different results.
It's weird because people will also insist we have done the young approach and it didn't work but I'm here to say we really, really haven't. Don't sign anyone over 25 this summer, I beg of you Everton.

I get the point you’re making, but just look at the number of young Championship players that have made the grade in recent years. Contrast that with the stream of utter, experienced garbage we’ve been forced to watch.

We’d still have Gray, Townsend, Alli and Rondon as attackers with experience, which I think helps my point!!
We've recruited badly, but that's clouded a lot of people's judgement as to what constitutes good recruitment. The default position for a lot of people has just become 'do the exact opposite of what we have been doing' but it isn't that simple. Lots of young championship players have come up and not made the grade too, and lots have done OK for where they've gone but would undoubtedly be classed as failures here. Likewise lots of players similar in profile to what we've been buying have succeeded elsewhere. We need to recruit better but that runs a lot deeper than just changing where we buy from.

Like I said, I totally agree that we need to refresh the side and bring in younger players, but we have got to be careful of the balance too. Not just in terms of age but in terms of people who you know can be trusted to produce.

There's no way to greatly improve the team in the next 2-3 seasons without some big funds coming in from sales. Especially with the loss of the Uzzie money
But we couldn’t spend his money at the moment if we wanted to. Also moshiri has always said he will spend.

Maybe. I'm sure the club would prefer not to sell both but if they both want to go it might not be so simple. The other side of it is we probably don't have the money to sign the players mentioned if they aren't going to be key first teamers.

Unless DCL makes a real fuss, it should be easier to keep him than Richarlison. DCL having 3 years left on his deal leaves us in a fairly strong position with him this summer.

It could be that we actually need to sell both to do any decent business, but if we don't then I think DCL would be easier to keep hold of for a year.

I'd doubt it would happen because I'd guess Spurs would ask for silly money, but our scouts like him and he fits the "good on the ball, gold at breaking lines with his passing" type of midfielder I'd expect Lampard to want.

There was a point where he was first choice for Conte but Bentancur coming in seems to have changed that.

Think he's a better player than most people give him credit for, but I can't see it happening in any case.
I agree with this. Maybe he lost his confidence during the Mourinho spell and hasn't really regained it since then. He's not really a "Mourinho player". Was doing well previously under Poch. I do get the feeling he's very much a confidence player though, has the tendency to fade easily into the background. In certain circumstances I wouldn't be against us signing him for the right fee, but I'm not sure our current situation constitutes the right circumstances.

There's no way to greatly improve the team in the next 2-3 seasons without some big funds coming in from sales. Especially with the loss of the Uzzie money
Next summer you are looking at a loss of 100M+ being replaced from the FFP calculation and a whole load more players coming to the end of their contracts, so at least amortisation costs being reduced significantly... So all being well we will be a a good enough place regulatory wise to spend significantly again...

But as you said, a big sale or two helps massively now.

He also said it last summer. We have a totally different manager and dof now, so who wants winks?

I certainly don't, but it's possible the clubs scouts have really high opinions of him and l
Lampard/Thelwell agree with them...

But if that's true about Maddock it's the second reputable journo in the lastonth to say we are interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back