Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another key question is how many of that top list we actually keep, anyone who leaves makes the rebuild that much harder as you're then having to replace one of the 5/6 players you can build around.

Second key is the recruitment, with limited finances it needs to be done well and by adding players who make some of those in that third group function and join the 'keep' group.

We can't buy three new center backs, fir example, so need to recruit a cb who makes two of the current ones function better.

Same with centre mid (cam,dm,cm) we can't buy four or five new ones, so if we get two or tops three, then they need to be ones that enable some of the current ones to function better alongside them.

Basically analyse what system we will be playing - what players we will bring in for that system, which current players will function in the system (not currently but) with those additional players.

Pace isn't everything. Being good at football is preferable for me

For a team who doesn't have European football to attract good players its easier on average to attract rapid players who can cause defences problems than slow players who have the quality to play through teams regardless.

You look at Real Madrids midfield against Liverpool and it was snail pace but they have some of the most talented players on the ball in world football.

We would just have slow players who are average and therefore get over run.

Agree with your point but worth pointing that out the club isn't in a place to attract ballers.

So look at cm

Deli - what does he needs round him to be at his best, what system does he suit and what doesn't get suit and what type of player around him msjes him look worse.

Same exact questions for Dacoure, Allan and every other player in the team needs to be looked at.

Back to Deli, system is one that gives him freedom, that controls possession and that plays higher, players around him that have intelligence and vision, players with good movement and a cf who is a focal point.

So say DCL stays, that's a good positive, but say he goes and Richy plays up front, likely that's a negative to Deli.

Say we bring in Gallacher - huge upside to him, say we bring in no one and play Dacoure there - huge negative

So look at cm

Deli - what does he needs round him to be at his best, what system does he suit and what doesn't get suit and what type of player around him msjes him look worse.

Same exact questions for Dacoure, Allan and every other player in the team needs to be looked at.

Back to Deli, system is one that gives him freedom, that controls possession and that plays higher, players around him that have intelligence and vision, players with good movement and a cf who is a focal point.

So say DCL stays, that's a good positive, but say he goes and Richy plays up front, likely that's a negative to Deli.

Say we bring in Gallacher - huge upside to him, say we bring in no one and play Dacoure there - huge negative

I said a bit back mate, he has to decide is he going to commit to Alli. Probably means going 433. What we can all agree on, in pre season he needs to embed the system he wants to play for the year. How ready we are to take the hand break off, only he knows.

Above everyone else, Alli for me benefits from the 433. You just give him the the pitch to play in, and let him get on with it. I dont want to overdo that Palace performance (as he was also very good off the bench V Leicester and Brentford) but he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. In a game with Richarlison, DCL, Zaha, Eze, Gallacher etc all playing, in terms of pure talent, Alli is the best player on the pitch. That's without any real match practice, continuity or anything else. He was completely unphased.

It's not a 1 off either. In the game against Liverpool this season at WHL, he is also very good. Liverpool just cant get to grips with him. They try to smother him, and hes too good.

Lampard said after the Palace game he has to show him more in training. Probably true, but at 26, I'm not sure Alli is now going to start becoming a proper trainer. I think Lampard has to either accept he wont be the best trainer, or if that's critical, make a call the other way.

From the allan comments regarding his injury increasing the likelihood of him staying for another season seems to be replacing the delph hobbled role when he leaves

Last edited:
We have way too much experience right now and not enough youth. Mykolenko, Gordon and Patterson if he ever plays are the only players that can be counted as young right now. I guess maybe Branthwaite but he's 5th string.

What's young? Godfrey 24, Richarlison & DCL just turned 25, Holgate 25. I would argue the squad is full of players still young/still developing.

Thing is mate, if as reported City are offering him to clubs, then it completely changes his market value in comparison to if the player is wanted to be retained by the club.

Both Lescott and Stones are examples of this.

That's it mate.

You pay a premium for a clubs best player (as a lesson we have continually learned) but not a fringe player.

Its partially we targeting squad players of those teams is not as bad a strategy as people make out.

I cant see anyone going anywhere near 40m for Zinchenko.

What's young? Godfrey 24, Richarlison & DCL just turned 25, Holgate 25. I would argue the squad is full of players still young/still developing.
I break it down like this:

23 and under are young players still developing.

24-29 is the peak years.

30 and over you're on the backside.

Now none of that is a hard rule but for me I wouldn't be expecting 25 year olds to get a ton better nor would I expect 29 year olds to last for five years more. It happens sure but you've got to work off of what is most likely. So imo all those guys you've listed are probably close to what their best is going to be.

I said a bit back mate, he has to decide is he going to commit to Alli. Probably means going 433. What we can all agree on, in pre season he needs to embed the system he wants to play for the year. How ready we are to take the hand break off, only he knows.

Above everyone else, Alli for me benefits from the 433. You just give him the the pitch to play in, and let him get on with it. I dont want to overdo that Palace performance (as he was also very good off the bench V Leicester and Brentford) but he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. In a game with Richarlison, DCL, Zaha, Eze, Gallacher etc all playing, in terms of pure talent, Alli is the best player on the pitch. That's without any real match practice, continuity or anything else. He was completely unphased.

It's not a 1 off either. In the game against Liverpool this season at WHL, he is also very good. Liverpool just cant get to grips with him. They try to smother him, and hes too good.

Lampard said after the Palace game he has to show him more in training. Probably true, but at 26, I'm not sure Alli is now going to start becoming a proper trainer. I think Lampard has to either accept he wont be the best trainer, or if that's critical, make a call the other way.

It's a decision that has huge implications either way imo.

And one I'm not sure what I'd do myself in that situation.

As I've said ad nauseam though - starting to create partnerships across the pitch is what will be the single biggest decider this season.

On the eye test the defence looks a shambles BUT it's possibly not the case - individually they are all flawed BUT not fatally so.

It looks like we have issues literally in every position but for me it all revolves around the midfield - it's impacting absolutely every other position currently and needs to be 1st 2nd and 3rd priority to sort out.

Sort it out then potentially one cb can address that area no fullbacks needed as they now work well with cohesion and the wide players now interlink well

I genuinely think with the right 4 players we could be around 8th.

I break it down like this:

23 and under are young players still developing.

24-29 is the peak years.

30 and over you're on the backside.

Now none of that is a hard rule but for me I wouldn't be expecting 25 year olds to get a ton better nor would I expect 29 year olds to last for five years more. It happens sure but you've got to work off of what is most likely. So imo all those guys you've listed are probably close to what their best is going to be.

So 29 is peak, and depending on the "curve" of a player's development, they're still developing until ~27 or so? Then after 29 they're on the declining side of the normal distribution? I'd agree with that, and if so then I'd argue that what I suggested is perfectly reasonable.

If you're arguing that the distribution of "peak years" is actually 24-29, well I have news for you that this isn't the NFL thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back