Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've recruited badly, but that's clouded a lot of people's judgement as to what constitutes good recruitment. The default position for a lot of people has just become 'do the exact opposite of what we have been doing' but it isn't that simple. Lots of young championship players have come up and not made the grade too, and lots have done OK for where they've gone but would undoubtedly be classed as failures here. Likewise lots of players similar in profile to what we've been buying have succeeded elsewhere. We need to recruit better but that runs a lot deeper than just changing where we buy from.

Like I said, I totally agree that we need to refresh the side and bring in younger players, but we have got to be careful of the balance too. Not just in terms of age but in terms of people who you know can be trusted to produce.
Very fair points. For me, it boils down to how easily we can rectify a bad deal. If we bought a young player on middling wages, we’d probably recoup most of what we spent a year or two down the line (or at least most of their value at the time of sale).

Where we’ve been hurt time and time again is moving on players that had that experience and the wages that come with it.

I get that the idea is to bring in players we don’t need to sell after a year but we have to be realistic with our recent record. I’ve said it before but this really is last chance saloon for us; once Richy and DCL go there is no other means of us injecting cash into the squad; if we bloat it again with crap we can’t get rid of then we’re 100% doomed.

Next summer you are looking at a loss of 100M+ being replaced from the FFP calculation and a whole load more players coming to the end of their contracts, so at least amortisation costs being reduced significantly... So all being well we will be a a good enough place regulatory wise to spend significantly again...

But as you said, a big sale or two helps massively now.

I certainly don't, but it's possible the clubs scouts have really high opinions of him and l
Lampard/Thelwell agree with them...

But if that's true about Maddock it's the second reputable journo in the lastonth to say we are interested
Is Maddock reliable? And I can’t see lampard wanting him, especially if he can get Gilmour for a similar price

I agree with this. Maybe he lost his confidence during the Mourinho spell and hasn't really regained it since then. He's not really a "Mourinho player". Was doing well previously under Poch. I do get the feeling he's very much a confidence player though, has the tendency to fade easily into the background. In certain circumstances I wouldn't be against us signing him for the right fee, but I'm not sure our current situation constitutes the right circumstances.
Yeah, agreed. From what I've seen he's v much a confidence player and I'm not sure we are always the best home for a player like that.

Ideally if we add "experience" it's via either free transfers (Tarkowski etc) or via a loan - it mitigates FPP issues that way (no purchase cost)

Buy in younger players who have resale value

Very fair points. For me, it boils down to how easily we can rectify a bad deal. If we bought a young player on middling wages, we’d probably recoup most of what we spent a year or two down the line (or at least most of their value at the time of sale).

Where we’ve been hurt time and time again is moving on players that had that experience and the wages that come with it.

I get that the idea is to bring in players we don’t need to sell after a year but we have to be realistic with our recent record. I’ve said it before but this really is last chance saloon for us; once Richy and DCL go there is no other means of us injecting cash into the squad; if we bloat it again with crap we can’t get rid of then we’re 100% doomed.
Very much so. If we get it wrong this time, we are in big, big trouble unfortunately.

I don’t agree with you regarding devaluing our best player mate. He was signed for £35m rising to £50m so how on earth he is valued the same when he has proved that he’s our best player and becomes a starter for his national team that ranked number one in the world.
He should be valued higher than 50m, but it’s wrong to consider what we paid as a baseline for anyone today. We’re a mess and always overpaid

Genuinely why? Should have at least a window or two before we judge no?
Nobody else gets blind faith from me.

I mean sure, theres a world of difference between faith and where im at, but his record isnt great, he has no pedigree.

Thankfully for him, im very easily pleased, so he wont have to do much to get my support.

I think Richarlison will leave and the only good good thing about that is the money the sale will generate.

Even more important in my opinion is that other players are also moved on... Gomes for sure and Mina as well before his contract runs down completely. I think Allan may also leave during this summer.

We have in the squad 3 types now, ones with zero future, ones who can be part of what we build upon, and ones who depending on other factors either we need to move in or could be part of the short or longer term future.

No Future.
Coleman - a year older and in sharp decline, makes too many major errors and as he slows more that will increase, can only play on heart so long before it's not enough
Gomes - lacks everything we need in cm, massive wages, can't do the basics we need
Delph good enough but massively injury prone and high wages
Rondon - not good enough and in decline
Kenny - simply not good enough being versatile only matters if it's not being bad at multiple things.
Townsend - little end product, bad injury and ageing.
Iceland - need to say nothing it's obvious

Ones to keep
Pickford - best keeper we've had since Martyn, kept us up
Mykolenko young and starting to adjust to the league and already looks good enough.
Patterson the future at RB needs to be trusted now
Gordon amazing upside and has the qualities we need in the team, needs to work on end product
DCL only natural striker we have,
Richy only natural top class and reliable out field player we have

Ones to be decided
Begovic - backup keeper worth keeping one season
Mina,, Keane, Holgate and Godfrey - all of these depend on who we bring in at CB as each has some strengths and some weaknesses, so depending what any new cb/cbs qualities are, then it massively effects each of these players role and or future.
Mina is simply can we keep him fit, Keane is about can we bring in a partner who keeps his head together, same for Holgate and Godfrey, with Holgate it's simplest of the four - he's the most dependable currently, Godfrey is about if we can iron out his flaws and utilize his strengths, - the most upside of the four.

Braithwaite needs experience to see if he can progress

Deli, Dacoure & Allan - all three of these massively depend on who we bring into cm as to if they have a future, with the right couple of players then each of them could be important due to what their strengths and weaknesses are, similarly all three could prove as not fitting and need to be shifted.
Davies - one season 'experienced' cover - squad depth
Dobbin needs to get games to see if there's a player there
Simms - needs to get games this season for us to see if he's got a long term future.
Gray - winger with little end product - need to replace with someone who has more - short term it's if we can or if that's something for this season we go with.

Iwobi - needs to maintain and continue on his improvement under Lampard, if he regresses then need to get rid otherwise can become a part of the future.

Long winded post I know, but shows just what a rebuild job we have here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back