Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ages of those players are 26, 25 (birthday is this month), 22, 23, 25, 24. Most are not going to improve much if at all. And the four oldest all have hundreds of first team appearances.

For me we don't have a young group at all. We have Gordon, Myko, Patterson (who hasn't played), Branthwaite (who isn't ready and will be loaned most likely) and the possibly a wild card or two like Onyango or Nkounkou.

The balance is way off and Tarkowski just adds to it. You can sign younger players who are decent to start and get better. For example Vitalii Mykolenko. He's not a world beater now and might never be but he's also perfectly fine the exact same as we're hoping Tarkowski is. But there is none of the upside there.

I think Gordon has just turned 21 mate, not 22.

But yes, at a young level Gordon, Brainthwaite, Nkounkou, Mykolenko, Patterson. Then any of Onyango/Dobbin/Price who may step up (I accept unlikely). I think we will try to add more.

The next age up, of lads who are in and around 25, so hoping for more consistently are the 4 or 5 above and Alli. I think theres talent in that group. Not saying they're world beaters but theres talent.

But, we have to secure safety, and Tarkowski helps us do that. Hes low risk in that he is unlikely to be awful. Upside is limited, but downside protected more. Given our situation, I can see sense in 1 player, at CB doing that.

Mykolenko is a fair comparison but also underpins our problem. He cost 20m. We dont have 20m currently. In an idea world, Mina goes and Newcastle pay a daft fee for Godfrey and we can add a young CB like Colville.

Surely, given our precarity, you can see the need for some pragmatism?

I think Gordon has just turned 21 mate, not 22.

But yes, at a young level Gordon, Brainthwaite, Nkounkou, Mykolenko, Patterson. Then any of Onyango/Dobbin/Price who may step up (I accept unlikely). I think we will try to add more.

The next age up, of lads who are in and around 25, so hoping for more consistently are the 4 or 5 above and Alli. I think theres talent in that group. Not saying they're world beaters but theres talent.

But, we have to secure safety, and Tarkowski helps us do that. Hes low risk in that he is unlikely to be awful. Upside is limited, but downside protected more. Given our situation, I can see sense in 1 player, at CB doing that.

Mykolenko is a fair comparison but also underpins our problem. He cost 20m. We dont have 20m currently. In an idea world, Mina goes and Newcastle pay a daft fee for Godfrey and we can add a young CB like Colville.

Surely, given our precarity, you can see the need for some pragmatism?
Securing safety and building for the future aren't mutually exclusive to me. Both can be accomplished simultaneously. And when you prioritize the first you'll never move on to the second.

Carlo got us 10th because we were the lucky team. We weren't very good last year and then James, Digne and all the luck left and we nearly went down. Make no mistake we are a bottom third or maybe even bottom quarter of the league side at the minute and a solid 12th would be a nice season so long as it is coupled with building for the following seasons.
away with your unrequired realism

Securing safety and building for the future aren't mutually exclusive to me. Both can be accomplished simultaneously. And when you prioritize the first you'll never move on to the second.

Of course they are not. In a perfect world you do both. And in a perfect world you just plan long term.

But in reality, there is a contradiction. That for 0 fee, there arent any long term options as good as Tarkowski available for us.

The question is, on what occasions does it make sense to veer away from a long term plan.

Of course they are not. In a perfect world you do both. And in a perfect world you just plan long term.

But in reality, there is a contradiction. That for 0 fee, there arent any long term options as good as Tarkowski available for us.

The question is, on what occasions does it make sense to veer away from a long term plan.
I'd suggest the plan has to actually get started first before you veer.

25 year olds get signed from the conference and win the golden boot all the time?
No premier league players get better at random ages all the time and have rather large jumps in quality. Van Dijk went from a mid table centre half to the best in the world at 25/26. Edouard Mendy was playing ligue 2 at 26. Kante jumped from Caen to Leicester title winners age 24.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back