Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
And while here he signed and tried to play Van Der Beek there. Then put Delph in there.

Exactly mate, he likes a ball player in there, who will pick from defense and transition through the lines and i think reasonably competent of holding a defensive structure but its not a key competency. He loves a good triangle does Frank. I think the plan will be press high and have high energy players.

Maybe im over generalising but from what ive seen from Lampard up to this point, he likes to press higher up the pitch, he played Jorgino at the base and Kante further forward. he did the same at Derby, with Bryson or Hudlestone in the main.

I mean he had Kante and didn't play him at 6, so i wouldn't be hanging my hat on him bringing in a classic defensive midfield 6.

Just my take

In fairness Kante has always been a strange one because people have lauded him as the best holding midfielder in the world but at the peak of his powers at Leicester and then under Conte and Tuchel at Chelsea he’s always been a player that pushed forward and had a deep lying sitter behind him (Drinkwater, Matic, Jorginho). So Kante would win numerous turnovers and drive forward but he didn’t actually ever sit and distribute from the base of midfield in those teams. He has done the deeper role for France next to Pogba in fairness.

So I can see why Lampard didn’t play him as the deepest midfielder but I think his problem was he kept him where Sarri had him on the inside right channel and it just didn’t seem to suit his game. Tuchel moved him back into a two with a sitter next to him and he got his form back.

Doucoure is similar (but nowhere near as good). His better form for us has been when he’s in a 2 with Allan or Delph holding next to him. When we move to a three and he’s in one of the channels his technique seems to get exposed (even though the rest of the team plays better with the extra midfielder)

I think this could be right.

I also think a midfield 2 doesn't work for him. To be in a 2, you have to be a bit of an all rounder, and probably curb your instinct to get around the pitch. That nullifies his skillset somewhat.

Probably a few of our players will benefit from a pre season, and a 2nd break in November. I think he will.

I think he took one for the team in the main, he was the key man, lets not forget Allan, Davies, Gomes, DVB all got injured at different point in those critical last seven games - he fulfilled an amazing role, to me he looked real box to box, hes not naturally a defensive midfielder but he can do a job and his physicality and presence give us a lot in defensive play just by being a giant and you cant get past him, he supports the attacking play very well.

Im not so sure he was dropped, i think he was flagging myself, but his form had dropped off and other lads were fresher and we knnew games were piling up every three days.

In all these conversations i dont see Allan mentioned, im very far from waving the white flag at him and a role in the team especially if we are pressing, hes developing a bad habit with injury and this season was stop start for him, but i think he still has a role to play for us.

Last edited:

In fairness Kante has always been a strange one because people have lauded him as the best holding midfielder in the world but at the peak of his powers at Leicester and then under Conte and Tuchel at Chelsea he’s always been a player that pushed forward and had a deep lying sitter behind him (Drinkwater, Matic, Jorginho). So Kante would win numerous turnovers and drive forward but he didn’t actually ever sit and distribute from the base of midfield in those teams. He has done the deeper role for France next to Pogba in fairness.

So I can see why Lampard didn’t play him as the deepest midfielder but I think his problem was he kept him where Sarri had him on the inside right channel and it just didn’t seem to suit his game. Tuchel moved him back into a two with a sitter next to him and he got his form back.

Doucoure is similar (but nowhere near as good). His better form for us has been when he’s in a 2 with Allan or Delph holding next to him. When we move to a three and he’s in one of the channels his technique seems to get exposed (even though the rest of the team plays better with the extra midfielder)

I dont know mate, my impression was one of the first things Tuchel did was bring him deeper then frank did, i also think he played very deep at Leicester and in the main throughout his career, he has energy to play higher of course and often does.

That's it, you have to look at a squad and want to replace your worst players, and improve your, average ones, and turn your best ones into average players.

However bad people say Doucoure is, and he is bad on the ball, if utilised correctly hes our best midfielder IMO. He probably will be for at least 2 years.

I hope Iwobi can be consistent, we can get a tune from Dele, maybe we can get another in who does great and then we have a different conversation. Until then though, or a similar situation he has a role to play for me.

Its sort of why if he stays fit DCL is a more important fit than Richarlison, even though hes not as good. We dont have the players to get the best from Richarlison.

Pretty much concur,

I've posted before about partnerships, that's the key to everything.

Hopefully Tarkowski can form one with Godfrey/Holgate/Keane/Mina/ Braithwaite/new - doesn't matter who with what's key is them gelling.

It's a further reason I'd like Zinchenko, as you know him and Mykolenko have a good chemistry on the left for Ukraine.

That's the key to the midfield, bring in two players who fit each other's style and who one of either Dacoure/Allan can fill the third spot so they as a collective midfield they become better than the individual parts.

A fit DCL is far more important than Richy is to the team imo. Love Richarlison but he's more easily replaceable (Dele possibly or Gordon if he plays left or someone with a lot of potential like KLP).

I don't think we'll be getting many solid links (or movement on existing ones) until right at the end of the month when the players have had their breaks.

Gotta imagine that Thelwell has been working hard behind the scenes to try and get things in place for the start of pre-season. Certainly that would be in his best interests given the difficult circumstances we find ourselves in.

Status
Not open for further replies.