Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy take.

Last summer Benitez came in and spend all day on training and every press conference talking about players not being good enough. That Everton did not have the players to play good offensive football.

After a few losses the players started believing him. Stopped trying. Stopped showing for the ball. Confidence were rock bottom. One win in 14 league matches.

It would always be a struggle for the man replacing Benitez. The squad were broken. Lampard tried. He tried to play offensive football. He tried to implement high press. Often it was OK, but the team was unfortunate. Punished for every mistake they did. And we witnessed a few nasty collective collapses.

Lampard had to adjust. Be more pragmatic. Due to the squad and the lack of confidence, but also because of all the injuries. Changes in both personnel and formation for every single match. Also during matches. Tactics and formation was often dictated by what players were available. With several players having to play out of position.

Things were not great the second half of the season. Still, Everton took the same amount of points in the league after Lampard came in as Manchester United did. They took one more point than a hyped Villa team that spent a ton of money on Coutinho and Digne. More points than Wolves. More points than West Ham. (yes, Everton had a couple of extra matches, but still...)

If we can get confidence back in the squad, see a normal amount of injuries and spend time this summer to develop a way to play and an identity, par for the squad (as of today) is probably to be in a fight for top 10. 50 points are well within reach.

At least half of the squad had the worst season of their carrier last season. We should not expect them to be as poor next season. And if they are, the players are not the issue. If players cant show their potential, getting new players in wont solve anything.

As for excluding unwanted players from the squad, that cant be done without ruining their market value. It will always be tough to find a new club for certain players, but it will be a lot tougher to get rid of players without a preseason. A player such as Andre Gomes is not likely to move on before late in the transfer window. Excluding him from the first team now is likely to cost the club millions.

I don't really think it's that crazy to think a team who got 39 points, and then loses their best player, might be in for another relegation battle. I'm not saying we are definitely going down or anything like that. I'm just saying what I see, and I think this squad would do no better than last year.

16th would be about right for these players, because they are either highly inconsistent, hugely overrated, permanently injured, or lacking in hunger and desire.

I think we are looking at Dennis and Winks on loan with an obligation and then perhaps another loan. That will be our lot
A board that sat and watched last season, sells our best player (one of only two players who can realistically get over 10 goals in a season) and then does that transfer business would be tamely writing us off to the championship.

I really hope you’re wrong and we don’t add either of those players - must do better.

I know it wont happen overnight and i have been patient dince moshri came in, the team wont be built overnight blah blah blah. Our transfer strategy seems the same even with a new DOF. how about you look through the free agents and then tell me he was the best option, its a sad time when people get shouts just cause they can remain fit. If you think you will ever see tarks in a CL team or even Europa team you are mad
But we aren’t a europa or champions league team we’ve just been relegation battlers he improves our side whether you like it or not, not the most exciting deal ever done but at the moment we need to play it safe with transfers and he fits the agenda. Which free agent would you want?

Right now, we must be odds-on for the drop. Only significant improvements in personnel can change that. We're one injury (DCL) away from having no striker, alongside the obviously no goal threat from our midfield. I wonder if Lampard was told the truth about the financial situation before he signed up? What a task he's got to improve our fortunes after being stripped of our best player and not given any money to find a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back