Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see Doucoure getting in a join team. Kamara (yet to debut in the PL admittedly) and Luiz would both be ahead of him. Martinez v Pickford is a flip of a coin. DCL had a poor season and from a contribution perspective, there isn't much to distinguish between him and Ings. Also, if any of those players get injured there is very little strength in depth

I like Everton, you are a proper PL team and should be doing better than u are. I am just a fan, like u guys, and I am just being honest with my opinions

Harsh on calvert lewin. He didnt play much due to injury and he always looked like he was chasing match fitness.

Harsh on calvert lewin. He didnt play much due to injury and he always looked like he was chasing match fitness.
Yeah, maybe a little harsh on DCL but he had a poor season last season. I am open to correction on this but 3 seasons ago most Everton fans thought DCL was awful and wanted him gone. He had 2 great seasons and got into the England setup and totally deserved it. But to be considered a top class striker he needs to get his form back this season imo

Been scratching my head about this as well. The payment structure (for both seller and buyer) doesn't matter for ffp/p&l as far as o understand it.

So either (a) we actually have no money so need to pay on the drip, (b) the selling clubs need cash flow now as they have no ready cash, or more likely (c) journos put 2 and 2 together, get 5 and are spouting a load of rubbish.
Our problem is solely related to cashflow, the business has made huge losses.

It suits us to pay 10m this period and 10m next period, to spread the actual cash money to 2 windows.

People do seem to mix up FFP, which doesnt affect us due to not being in Europe and the Premier League Profit and loss rules.

We could no doubt pay 20m "upfront", but as I say, it "suits" us to spread the payments over a longer period.

Yeah, maybe a little harsh on DCL but he had a poor season last season. I am open to correction on this but 3 seasons ago most Everton fans thought DCL was awful and wanted him gone. He had 2 great seasons and got into the England setup and totally deserved it. But to be considered a top class striker he needs to get his form back this season imo

Not a little harsh at all

HOW ABOUT A MOUNT EVEREST AMOUNT OF HARSH

If he stays fit, he'll show his form

Cant judge him on last season. He started 15 games. And like said he just looked rusty.
He didnt really have 2 great seasons before that. He had a great 6/7 months under ancelotti.
He's not a top class striker. He's a decent striker but he is without doubt the best in the air in the league. If you supply him with decent crosses he'll more times than not beat any defender. Its a bit basic but to get the best out of him we need better width and crosses.

Cant judge him on last season. He started 15 games. And like said he just looked rusty.
He didnt really have 2 great seasons before that. He had a great 6/7 months under ancelotti.
He's not a top class striker. He's a decent striker but he is without doubt the best in the air in the league. If you supply him with decent crosses he'll more times than not beat any defender. Its a bit basic but to get the best out of him we need better width and crosses.
That's fair enough about DCL but unfortunately, Man City may have signed the best striker in the air (and with his left foot and with his right foot and with whatever part of his body the ball comes off :) )

Aged 25 and only twice got into double figures for PL goals (13 & 16). Hardly prolific! Its kind of like me trying to argue that Watkins is a top striker.

Turned 25 3 months ago and I wasn't saying he was prolific, I was saying he was injured for about 75/80% of last season.

He's miles and miles and miles above Watkins btw. He's a decent striker but DCL is a far better striker in every department.

Gilmour had a terrible loan at Norwich of that there is no doubt. To thrive he needs midfielders around him who will do the dirty work as it were but if he get time on the ball he will thrive.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if you were in for him but I am far from sure he will do any better for you that he did for Norwich.
Yeah maybe with the likes of Doucoure/Allan/Iwobi/MGW? around him he could sit in the six? Who knows I just think Lamps rates him so it's very possible.
Yeah I hear you and get your point - full disclosure: not seen him at all at ShefU. Discern what you will from Championship football I suppose (easy response is "if he's anything above rubbish, what's he doing in the second division"). I'm certainly not doubling down on my "no to MGW" stance, just very discerning and not at all convinced.

As for our "scouts": I wouldn't trust a single one of them with 1 penny. There is not an ounce of evidence to suggest the scouting department of this clownshow of a club deserves my 'trust'. Heard the same thing with Brands, and with whats-his-name from Leics before him (his name escapes me right now), and with Martinez before that as we brought in half the Wigan team.
True our recruitment has been horrific mostly for a long time, for various reasons but mainly because the governance of the club has been one of interference and the DOF/various managers(often for difference formations they haven't been able to implement /or build upon because their tenors have been that short) have often targetted the wrong profile of player. But Thellwell will know him inside out from his time at Wolves. He is the profile we need to be looking at, but yes the jury is out on the player and KT too, but before he's made a signing for money I will give him the benefit of the doubt, he's walked into a difficult situation that will take a few windows to sort. The problems at the club are manyfold and go to the owner and board aswell.

Last edited:

Turned 25 3 months ago and I wasn't saying he was prolific, I was saying he was injured for about 75/80% of last season.

He's miles and miles and miles above Watkins btw. He's a decent striker but DCL is a far better striker in every department.
Comparing strikers is always an interesting thing as a lot depends on the players around them but the bottom line is that Watkins has played 2 seasons in the PL and scored 25 goals (14 & 11). That is actually a really good return for someone that is a poor finisher and nor does he have the greatest of first touches. But if he can continue to score 10 to 15 a season in the PL then most clubs outside of the top 4/6 would be very happy with that. He also works his socks off and doesn't hide in games. I haven't seen anywhere as much of DCL playing as you (and I am sure u haven't seen as much of Watkins as I have) but on paper, there is very little to differentiate between them. Unless either of them seriously up their goal return then non Everton and non Villa fans will see them as very similar.

Comparing strikers is always an interesting thing as a lot depends on the players around them but the bottom line is that Watkins has played 2 seasons in the PL and scored 25 goals (14 & 11). That is actually a really good return for someone that is a poor finisher and nor does he have the greatest of first touches. But if he can continue to score 10 to 15 a season in the PL then most clubs outside of the top 4/6 would be very happy with that. He also works his socks off and doesn't hide in games. I haven't seen anywhere as much of DCL playing as you (and I am sure u haven't seen as much of Watkins as I have) but on paper, there is very little to differentiate between them. Unless either of them seriously up their goal return then non Everton and non Villa fans will see them as very similar.

I've seen a fair bit of Watkins as I don't like Villa and always enjoy your lot getting beat. He's not a terrible striker by any stretch, I'm just saying DCL is far far better in every single department.

That's not my Everton bias either, you've got a few players I'd take any day of the week who are better than what we have.

But a fit DCL is a far more rounded player than Watkins is

I don’t get all the media shouts about us demanding staggered or delayed payments due to the P&S position we are in. Totally irrelevant.

If we buy someone for 20m on a 4 year contract, 5m hits the accounts each year (along with that years salary). You don’t account for the depreciation of assets in line with how/when you make payments. Paying the full 20 mill on the very last day of the contract would still mean 5mill per year when looking at the accounts/P&S.

We would only be bothered about delaying payments if we were short of actual cash, which we are led to believe is not the case.

Any article that mentions this (which is sadly then regurgitated by the various Everton fan sites and Twitter accounts) is showing that they are just making stuff up as fluff to make their tweet/article have more detail than the others. Ignore everything until you hear the player themselves reading off a card about how great Everton fans are and always loved playing at GP.

This is it really. But the other thing that gets forgotten, is that P/S is about club losses and not transfer fees, our last loss was £120 mill for season 20/21 the year we signed Jamo etc. You will get nowhere if you apply something like net spend.

Better way to think about is someone like Jimmy Tark costs us 4.5 mill a year, MGW would be about 10+/-, while Cornet about 7/8 mill in annual costs.

I think we have about 20-25 mill wiggle room at the moment. So you might see the above 3 and a couple of loans, unless we player trade some more.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back