Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well had we had the money to get the deal tied up mate, that wouldn't have been an issue. We didn't have it. Didn't have £12.5m. Whether that's to spend it or just not allowed to by FFP rules, we couldn't meet it. So the deal dragged on then Inter got the Lukaku windfall and were able to spend.
I remember the talk before the Euros was Brands wanted the deal done before the competition started as he knew we could get blown out the water if other teams came in for him.

Don’t hate AML as a player but the language surrounding the news - about him being cover for multiple positions, etc - makes it sound like Coleman will continue as first-choice RB and I was kind of hoping for someone to come straight in ahead of him. Obviously if AML earns that spot, sound.
Don't worry mate....it will not be too long before Coleman is injured...did the same last season...starting the season very well, then the injuries started to appear one after another...bearing in mind that is extremely likely that he will play all the upcoming internationals, I think that by end of September/early October he will have his first injury...

Be content enough with Maitland-Niles on loan. Decent cover for CM and could feasbily challenge Coleman for the RB spot.
I see him exactly as that. I think he could show his worth if he applies himself in to an established structure that he can get comfortable with quickly.

It's not a super exciting but I think it could be a decent move for all parties.

For me, I’ve wanted a manager to come in and inspire confidence. Although it’s very early days, Benitez has come in (against great pressure/resistance) and has shown; he cares, he knows what he’s doing, he can organise the team, he can get us winning games and scoring goals.

I just want to see Everton winning and so far we’ve done that and i trust him to bring in players who will help us remain competitive.

Yes good post.

I also think players get to a certain point where the penny drops and they are ready to kick on. When you're probably a bit older than being a prospect, and a big younger than being right in your prime. That 23-25 age bracket. Lots of players get hyped at 18-21 and not that many make it. Many get lost in that time. To a degree Gray and Maitland-Niles fit that.

I think Maitland Niles agent is speaking to him to look to convince him, longer term his best prospects may well be converting to play at right back. Arnold did this at Liverpool and it was a very good career decision. To be fair to him he had that maturity at 17/18 to make the switch which would benefit his career.

We targeted that age group really well under Moyes. Players who clearly had talent, but for different reasons had fallen by the wayside a little bit. Baines, Jagielka, Lescott, Arteta, Peinaar, Cahill, Howard were all good examples of being in that age range when we signed them and came in and did well.

As a club and a crowd we are not the most forgiving of players from say 18/19 through. I don't think we tolerate poor performances well, or acknowledge it takes time. The positive about getting say a 23/25 year old is that they have made their mistakes elsewhere and you are dealing really with very little downside risk, even if you have to sacrifice some upside potential.

For Maitland Niles, if he can't get a game in CM over El Neny or Xhaka or whoever the option of playing regularly at right back for Everton should be one he gives a lot of consideration to. No it's not his 1st choice, but by nearly 24 you'd hope he can see he's not in the world of 1st choices now and this is probably a very good backup option for him.

Its giving lads an opportunity to play.

There is a psychological theory in sport called superstar theory, essentially there are superstars - that are always tipped to make it coming up the ranks, all the talent in the world, highly regarded. But they dont make it as they dont put the hard yards in at important parts of development.

Then there are lads below the superstars, who get knocked back, not favored, rejected and are left out on the ledge. They become hungry, hard working, convince themselves to work hard to achieve and react to the adversity and build resilience- some overtake the superstars and become top players. But they need the opportunity they need the foundation to play, they need to be developed nurtured and cultivated,, they need the opportunity to play and develop - im thinking of the likes of Arteta here. Gray may be a current case in point.

We can give some of these players an opportunity a foundation to develop. There is a vacuum there, if you pick the right ones, with the right character in my opinion. Its historically what we are good, we've been a great club for it and in a way we need to get back to it.

As i said earlier, you need to back your manager to develop these players and your DOF to make the right decisions.

Last edited:
Youtube videos are dangerous as compilations make most players look good however people turning there noses up at this fella are delusional. We are facing a season of Coleman whose legs are going and can't play every game and JJK who can't cross, defend and has never beaten a man. AMN is not a world beater but we are a skint midtable team .

It's also about having options - if Doucoure is out then this lad can fit in midfield and not Slomes and Davies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back